IGNORED

did i buy a lemon?

Have to make sure my wife does not have any plans this weekend but I would be more than glad to ride up and check it out. I have two Ventures and both whine, one has straight RK mufflers on it so you don't hear the whine and the other I almost always ride two up with headset on so I don't really hear it. We road 1300 miles over the past 5 days in North Ga and would not have wanted to be on anything else or with any other group. If you are camping out Vogel State Park is a great place to stay or Seasons Inn in Blairsville.

Edited by etcswjoe

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me, I would LOVE to camp out, but my wife's idea of ruffing it is staying at a Hampton Inn instead of the Marriott. Yeah, just PM me, I can maybe meet you half way some where. Maybe Orangeburg? That way I can take hwy 601 and stay off I-26. This bike sounds like it's gonna blow at any speed north of 60. Thanks for the offer just let me know when it's convenient for you. I'm retired so I'm pretty flexible. Doug

Whine - It has been my experience these bikes are oil sensitive. I put Amsoil in mine and developed a screech. It was so loud I almost couldn't ride. So I switched back to Yamalube and the screech eventually subsided. So you may need clutch baskets and what not and you may not.

Rear End - I am one of those guys who swapped out the rear end. I like the increased torque the lower gear ratio provides.

Clutch - The clutch springs get weak and then the clutch slips. It is an easy fix with several options. While you are there you might as well change the discs.

The Venture is one of the most reliable bikes ever built. But that doesn't mean it is perfect in every way.

Good luck with your new bike.

Mike

Doug,

I also have a 1st Gen 89. When I got it, it had a loud whine from rear end. Turns out, the shaft and gear going into the rear end was broken. Due to the way the rear end is designed, nothing would have ever happened as the systems are splined...but it made noise. I simply bought another rear end ($100) off of EBay and done.

Now so far, no one on this site that I've found (yet) has ever broken a rear end on the 2nd Gen. But if that turns out to be the case, know that it's cheap to repair and simple to do. The only other thing I can think of, is the drive shaft is connected to a U-Joint at the output of the motor. The U-joint is under a rubber boot. If the splines on the driveshaft are dry, no grease, then you would get noise there as well. Since the scoot is new to you, taking the rear tire off, taking the rear end apart to grease everything, check bearings and do a general clean up job...is a good thing to do anyway to establish a maintenance schedule. And If I can do it, you can. Heck...with the pics and help from forum, I've torn both of my Ventures apart multiple times now and getting used to how they go together. Now that I have a pretty good idea of what to do on both bikes, and how well they are put together, I'm comfortable taking either one on any trip I want to go on. That says a lot when I don't hesitate to take 25 year old bike on a 3 hour run at 80mph across the desert! 4200 rpm, zoom!

Keep us posted what you find at the dealer.

P.S. Make sure the dealer torques the rear wheel back on right if they get that far...that keeps everything in alignment...

i'm gonna take it to a Yamaha dealer tomorrow and see what they think. I have to ride it over thirty miles to get there and I hope it will make it. It is hands down the noisest thing I have ever owned, and I'm really concerned that something is about to let go inside of the thing. I wont let my wife on it again untill someone can check it out for me. I will call the service department first and quiz them to see if they really know these bikes. If I dont like the answer they give me then Ill see if ETCSJOE will make the trip here from Goose creek to check it out. I hate to ask anyone to ride so far to help but I dont want to ride it in this condition. This racket on a "touring machine" is ridiculous! How are you supposed to enjoy the ride or even try to use the stereo with all that noise? I don't think my particular machine is making the same sort of noise you folks are accustomed to.

If the steering feels way to heavy for you, either change to a narrower front tire of lower the front end. Lowering front is free and takes a few hours to do. You are simply moving the shocks up an inch.

A bit of clarification: You can raise the rear end slightly for the same result if you can handle the extra height at the seat.

Cool video! "another car lost his wheel!" I love it! Yeah, that's about the same noise I'm hearing. I almost think a main bearing is going bad. There isn't any knocking so I don't think it's rods. The noise is only there under load, so i'm not sure a main bearing failure would do that. So am I to understand that a luxo-tourer is gonna be this load on purpose? That's like buying a loud, brand new Cadillac. Why did Yamaha bother putting a stereo on this thing, if you have to wear ear plugs to ride it? Look, I dont mean to complain. I have owned some of the best and mostly the worst cars and bikes over the years and this is my very first touring bike, and to my way of thinking a loud touring bike is kind of defeating the purpose of a touring bike. Do you think I should bother with a dealer or will they just try to sell me parts and labor I might not need?

Edited by douglasp.burdick

You can hear the whine pretty well in this video let me know if yours is louder.

Gives me a destination, almost always ride at least a couple hundred miles every weekend especially if there is some good food or ice cream.

Tell 'ya what Joe, I don't have a gopro, but maybe I can get some video with my camera phone that will give you an idea of what I have here. I'll be back with the video in an hour or two if I can get any that's any good. Thanks to you and everyone on this forum for all the advice, maybe this can be fixed.

Well my wife and I went for a ride and shot some video. Unfortunately all you can hear is wind noise. But I'm now convinced that it must be gear noise from the primary. You can hear when you unload the throttle and get back on it and you can feel the excess lash between the gear teeth. So I hear that Yamaha used straight cut racing style gears instead of helically cut gears? Guess there is no solution for that? Are the straight cut gears from the v-max? That would make sense because the v-max is a power cruiser and you would want really tough gears to handle that kind of power.

Edited by douglasp.burdick

Dougslap: I have yet to get a straight answer from anyone on this question. Why is the whine on prevalent in the 2nd Gen? How come you dont hear of it in the preceding bike that share the same drive train parts? Can you put a 1st gen clutch basket in? I honestly think the only way to correct it completely would be to swap not only the clutch basket, but also the drive gear on the cluster set. I don't claim to be an engineer, but all that is being done it reducing the gap between the gears by replacing on of the out put gears and thus changing the face contact.

As far as the dealer goes. If they will guarantee whatever they are going to do gets rid of the whine, I'd say go for it. Other wise IMOP you could be throwing $$ at it until they get tired of taking it.

If you feel the gear train is sloppy, there is a lash adjustment that may help. Check the manual out..download from the tech section. I don't know about that...other than there is an excellent article with pictures somewhere on the 1st Gen tech area....since it's the same system it should apply to the 2nd Gen as well.

But to reiterate:

Check out different oils

Take rear end system apart and clean and grease everything.

In the end...if none of this helps...then the whine is clutch related and a replacement part is in order, IMHO...

david

My '07 had the same amount of whine as in the video above. I took it to the dealer just before the five year warranty expired. They replaced the basket with the "I" version although I did not confirm. The whine may have been somewhat better but I was accustomed to it and it never really bothered me for 40,000+ miles. Loud pipes and full face helmet may have helped. Or maybe knowing it had straight cut gears and thus I convinced myself it was stronger.???. Anyway, I feel the advantages of the bike outweighed the unusual harmless whine. New bike doesn't whine, yet, anyway

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. I do believe the whine is related to the gears and that somehow I will have to learn to live with it but shame on Yamaha for not fixing such a problem after so many years! I'm old and retired and living on a fixed income so another/replacement bike isn't an option. I do appreciate all the helpful advice I have received here. Hope to meet you folks down the road so we can compare notes. In the mean time, I'm gonna name my bike "Rosie", as in Rosie O'Donnell, 'cause the way it shrieks and whines, it sounds like an episode of "The View"!

Hi Doug

1st Welcome to the nuthouse.......

I'm just going to say I was a Honda guy my whole life never rode anything but Honda cruisers. I wanted to move up to a touring bike but I don't like the look of the Gold Wing, personal taste, but a great bike.

I was trying to find a good used Valkyre when I stumbled across a Silver 05 Yamaha Venture and bought it not knowing much about them (Thank goodness for this site.) She was a Whiner! And I learned to love it. I used to think "George Jetson" (if your retired your old enough to remember him!) cause it made a whine & a deedledeedle sort of sound that reminded me of his flying car. I thought how cool is that, my bike sounds like a flying car.......never bothered me after that cause anytime I did start to notice it I'd think of George.

I now have a 2013 it just whines.....no deedledeedle but it's not as loud as the 05 was. So now I hear a lot more noise out of the top end of the motor, that I never heard on the 05.

Just ride it and give it awhile I'm sure you'll learn to love it. :biker:

Hi Doug

1st Welcome to the nuthouse.......

I'm just going to say I was a Honda guy my whole life never rode anything but Honda cruisers. I wanted to move up to a touring bike but I don't like the look of the Gold Wing, personal taste, but a great bike.

I was trying to find a good used Valkyre when I stumbled across a Silver 05 Yamaha Venture and bought it not knowing much about them (Thank goodness for this site.) She was a Whiner! And I learned to love it. I used to think "George Jetson" (if your retired your old enough to remember him!) cause it made a whine & a deedledeedle sort of sound that reminded me of his flying car. I thought how cool is that, my bike sounds like a flying car.......never bothered me after that cause anytime I did start to notice it I'd think of George.

I now have a 2013 it just whines.....no deedledeedle but it's not as loud as the 05 was. So now I hear a lot more noise out of the top end of the motor, that I never heard on the 05.

Just ride it and give it awhile I'm sure you'll learn to love it. :biker:

Sure. It's just not...not... NOT what I expect from a "luxo-tourer" ! I paid for what I was told would be a smooth,quite ride and that's not the case. I kinda think my '01 Roadstar was the better bike, except it was alittle short on cornering clearance.

Sure. It's just not...not... NOT what I expect from a "luxo-tourer" ! I paid for what I was told would be a smooth,quite ride and that's not the case. I kinda think my '01 Roadstar was the better bike, except it was alittle short on cornering clearance.

If you're really wanting and expecting and demanding a smooth, quiet ride, then you may want to look for a GW or BMW.