IGNORED

did i buy a lemon?

Searching through the archives:

++++++++++++++

The primary drive gear is part of the crankshaft. The primary driven

gear is the same thing as the clutch basket. There are 2 available.

The normal replacement part number for the primary driven gear is

26H-16150-10-00. The stock for this part will be either an "F" or "G" size

primary driven gear, which will result in acceptable gear lash with any

size primary drive gear (crankshaft).

In addition to the normal replacement part, an "I" size primary driven

gear is available (4XY-16150-09-00). The "I" size primary driven gear is

not used in normal production. It was produced to reduce the normal gear

whine noise the Venture engine emits and some customers find annoying.

Installation of the "I" size primary driven gear results in slightly

greater gear lash. We have found this additional lash, in some cases

reduces gear whine noise or it may move the peak noise level to an rpm

not normally used while cruising, either of which can be more acceptable

to a customer.

++++++++++++++++++++

You could just swap out the gears with the shims and it will function as long as it is not binding.

BUT, you really should go through the lash adjustment procedure to do it right.

The shims, and the lash adjustment procedure are to make up for the manufacturing tolerances of all of the parts. If the lash is not right, it could cause gear noise at best and/or increased gear wear and/or failure at worst.

On the other hand, you could get lucky and the shims would be right.

++++++++++++++

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?1828-Download-the-Owners-and-Service-Manuals

++++++++++++

Lots more info. Don't know if any of this will help..especially if what you are hearing is the clutch basket whine. If the oil changes don't help, replace the basket. It's all good learning, though...

david

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're really wanting and expecting and demanding a smooth, quiet ride, then you may want to look for a GW or BMW.
Ok, not to put too fine a point on it but i was told this thing was supposed to be roughly the equal of a GW, but without the weight or a BMW, but without the Ferrari price tag.

Searching through the archives:

++++++++++++++

The primary drive gear is part of the crankshaft. The primary driven

gear is the same thing as the clutch basket. There are 2 available.

The normal replacement part number for the primary driven gear is

26H-16150-10-00. The stock for this part will be either an "F" or "G" size

primary driven gear, which will result in acceptable gear lash with any

size primary drive gear (crankshaft).

In addition to the normal replacement part, an "I" size primary driven

gear is available (4XY-16150-09-00). The "I" size primary driven gear is

not used in normal production. It was produced to reduce the normal gear

whine noise the Venture engine emits and some customers find annoying.

Installation of the "I" size primary driven gear results in slightly

greater gear lash. We have found this additional lash, in some cases

reduces gear whine noise or it may move the peak noise level to an rpm

not normally used while cruising, either of which can be more acceptable

to a customer.

++++++++++++++++++++

You could just swap out the gears with the shims and it will function as long as it is not binding.

BUT, you really should go through the lashadjustment procedure to do it right.

The shims, and the lashadjustment procedure are to make up for the manufacturing tolerances of all of the parts. If the lash is not right, it could cause gear noise at best and/or increased gear wear and/or failure at worst.

On the other hand, you could get lucky and the shims would be right.

++++++++++++++

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?1828-Download-the-Owners-and-Service-Manuals

++++++++++++

Lots more info. Don't know if any of this will help..especially if what you are hearing is the clutch basket whine. If the oil changes don't help, replace the basket. It's all good learning, though...

david

So there is some kind of lash adjustment for the gears. Ill read through the procudure and see if maybe that's something I can do myself. I really can't afford to pay a dealer to do it so it's kind of up to me. I just got back from taking it on the interstate for the first time. I managed to get it up to 70 indicated. Dont know if it would have gone any faster as iI couldn't risk it, the whine became a piercing high frequency sound that worried me to the point I won't try that again untill I can get it fixed.

Ok, not to put too fine a point on it but i was told this thing was supposed to be roughly the equal of a GW, but without the weight or a BMW, but without the Ferrari price tag.

i will say this before I reply: people who met me, know me and deal w me know I am an easy going member, who is always willing to be friendly and help and don't cause friction amongst members that said...

question 1- WHO TOLD YOU? The previous owner or dealer who wanted it sold? As far as equal to GW, that a up for debate but it is a highly reliable, extremely well made bike that has quirks like ALL bikes and ALL ferraris. I rode half way across the country in torrential rains from central Florida to NW Tennessee and back with the same friggin storms on that venture and I did nothing but purr along.ni saw many a HD on the side of the road. Mind you, this was also my first BIG real trip, and knew of no one to rescue me. I say that not to impress but to impress UPON you the reliability of this machine. Like others stated, the whine can come from different sources and yes you may need to troubleshoot and figure out what is cause the earth shattering whine that has you so upset. The bike model and company as a whole is phenomenal. See how many on this forum ride 87,88,90, 2001,2003,2007 models, STILL working just fine, many people tour the country, Mexico and Canada many times over with this bike. I took my 2003 to Vogel and tail of the dragon 2 years ago, and the bike was as awesome before as it was on the dragon. It may be your bike has a temp issue per se, but there's a reason for it. The model itself is not a lemon...

2- did you test ride it ? was the whine there then? If no test ride than...

3- did you do diligent research? I'm not a RSV guru, but I did seek out advice of those who have had, dealers and even FREEBIRD himself before I bought the bike to give me some ideas. This forum has given you a TON of options to explore that the dealer would either not know, price gouge or some combo of the two. My 2cents which is 1.5 cents too much is to explore cheapest options like oil and fluids etc. decide if you want the bike or just sell or trade it for your

quiet GW or quiet BMW. All bikes are going to have something. Again, see what you want. Do you want the the bike to be perfect? you'll be disappointed. And it's not very realistic. Even my almost flawless GW needs some things fixed or dealt with.

The members here have been very helpful. Now it's time to actually DECIDE which course of action you want to explore

keep the RSV and work on troubleshooting and solving the issue(or containing it) or abort and get something quieter.

oh and the weight issue....its top heavy, get used to that, learn how to ride the motorcycle appropriately to never have to deal with a weight issue. GW weight the same but have distribution on lower end, however with practice and proper skill, you can ride a RSV down St.Patricks parade and not have any issues dropping the bike.

Good luck on your decision

i will say this before I reply: people who met me, know me and deal w me know I am an easy going member, who is always willing to be friendly and help and don't cause friction amongst members that said...

question 1- WHO TOLD YOU? The previous owner or dealer who wanted it sold? As far as equal to GW, that a up for debate but it is a highly reliable, extremely well made bike that has quirks like ALL bikes and ALL ferraris. I rode half way across the country in torrential rains from central Florida to NW Tennessee and back with the same friggin storms on that venture and I did nothing but purr along.ni saw many a HD on the side of the road. Mind you, this was also my first BIG real trip, and knew of no one to rescue me. I say that not to impress but to impress UPON you the reliability of this machine. Like others stated, the whine can come from different sources and yes you may need to troubleshoot and figure out what is cause the earth shattering whine that has you so upset. The bike model and company as a whole is phenomenal. See how many on this forum ride 87,88,90, 2001,2003,2007 models, STILL working just fine, many people tour the country, Mexico and Canada many times over with this bike. I took my 2003 to Vogel and tail of the dragon 2 years ago, and the bike was as awesome before as it was on the dragon. It may be your bike has a temp issue per se, but there's a reason for it. The model itself is not a lemon...

2- did you test ride it ? was the whine there then? If no test ride than...

3- did you do diligent research? I'm not a RSV guru, but I did seek out advice of those who have had, dealers and even FREEBIRD himself before I bought the bike to give me some ideas. This forum has given you a TON of options to explore that the dealer would either not know, price gouge or some combo of the two. My 2cents which is 1.5 cents too much is to explore cheapest options like oil and fluids etc. decide if you want the bike or just sell or trade it for your

quiet GW or quiet BMW. All bikes are going to have something. Again, see what you want. Do you want the the bike to be perfect? you'll be disappointed. And it's not very realistic. Even my almost flawless GW needs some things fixed or dealt with.

The members here have been very helpful. Now it's time to actually DECIDE which course of action you want to explore

keep the RSV and work on troubleshooting and solving the issue(or containing it) or abort and get something quieter.

oh and the weight issue....its top heavy, get used to that, learn how to ride the motorcycle appropriately to never have to deal with a weight issue. GW weight the same but have distribution on lower end, however with practice and proper skill, you can ride a RSV down St.Patricks parade and not have any issues dropping the bike.

Good luck on your decision

Sad to say I listened to the motorcycle press as far as the thing goes, and yes, I really should have known better. I wish I had visited this site first. You are a great bunch of folks! But Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have bought this thing. I have owned a motley assortment of odd ball needy vehicles over the years. I had a Lancia Scorpion for two years. Then, there were the Fiat X1/9s. Always looking for cheap thrills. But they are never really cheap, are they? I sunk a fortune in cars like them trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear as they say. Finally gave up and bought a used BMW Z-3. Car has Zero "character", no one ever looks twice at it because z3s are everywhere, but man what a great car! As far as this thing, I bought it from a local bike dealer and should have taken it back the same day, but my wife loves the "comfort". All she hears from the back seat is wind noise, and I no longer bother bringing the I-pod since I can't hear the stereo anyway. So I meant no disrespect, cycle world and other Mags like them always went on about how these were "Luxo-tourers". I don't guess I really know what that term means. Anyway, I'm kind of rambling here. A nice fella on this site rides by my town every now and then and he said he would try to comeover next week and check it out. Guess I'll just park it till then and see what he thinks of it. I do appreciate everyone's input, as I really would like to be able to ride in confidence one day!

Edited by douglasp.burdick

So there is some kind of lash adjustment for the gears. Ill read through the procudure and see if maybe that's something I can do myself. I really can't afford to pay a dealer to do it so it's kind of up to me. I just got back from taking it on the interstate for the first time. I managed to get it up to 70 indicated. Dont know if it would have gone any faster as iI couldn't risk it, the whine became a piercing high frequency sound that worried me to the point I won't try that again untill I can get it fixed.

There is no lash adjustment for the primary gear set. It is what it is.

Hey Doug, there are a good number of members who live in SC and have the know how on just about everything. Send me a private message and I will give you some names plus give a place that is close to you. take care Jim
Thanks Jim! I have already got in touch with a couple of them and I think one of them will be heading my way next week. Hopefully, he can shed some light on this. I talked to a Yamaha dealer in Columbia today and he asked me to talk to his service manager when he comes in tomorrow, thinking that Yamaha might do something about changing out the clutch basket at their cost. I think that's unlikely on a '05 with 48000 on it, but, no harm in asking. Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it. Doug

Thanks Jim! I have already got in touch with a couple of them and I think one of them will be heading my way next week. Hopefully, he can shed some light on this. I talked to a Yamaha dealer in Columbia today and he asked me to talk to his service manager when he comes in tomorrow, thinking that Yamaha might do something about changing out the clutch basket at their cost. I think that's unlikely on a '05 with 48000 on it, but, no harm in asking. Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it. Doug

Doug,

Know a couple of folks that they have done it for so it's worth a shot, as long as the weather is nice this weekend still plan on heading up that way.

Sad to say I listened to the motorcycle press as far as the thing goes, and yes, I really should have known better. I wish I had visited this site first. You are a great bunch of folks! But Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have bought this thing. I have owned a motley assortment of odd ball needy vehicles over the years. I had a Lancia Scorpion for two years. Then, there were the Fiat X1/9s. Always looking for cheap thrills. But they are never really cheap, are they? I sunk a fortune in cars like them trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear as they say. Finally gave up and bought a used BMW Z-3. Car has Zero "character", no one ever looks twice at it because z3s are everywhere, but man what a great car! As far as this thing, I bought it from a local bike dealer and should have taken it back the same day, but my wife loves the "comfort". All she hears from the back seat is wind noise, and I no longer bother bringing the I-pod since I can't hear the stereo anyway. So I meant no disrespect, cycle world and other Mags like them always went on about how these were "Luxo-tourers". I don't guess I really know what that term means. Anyway, I'm kind of rambling here. A nice fella on this site rides by my town every now and then and he said he would try to comeover next week and check it out. Guess I'll just park it till then and see what he thinks of it. I do appreciate everyone's input, as I really would like to be able to ride in confidence one day!

If the SC crew can swing by, then it is a cheaper day then going to dealer. Soda and sandwiches are a great way to make friends and learn about the RSV. I believe the venture is a Luxo touring bike. It can and will run coast to coast many times over. Is comfortable and is bulletproof. I don't mean to come off nasty in last message but at some point if you're not happy, you have to make a change. I, as with the others think you would be doing yourself a disservice by giving up just yet on the RSV, especially with these VR riders willing to come out your way. These RSV riders know as much and I'd bet MORE than most dealers.

Clarification:

A number of things can cause whine noise from the drive line of a Venture:

Clutch Basket

Broken middle (pinion) gear shaft to U-joint (more common on 1st gens)

Broken rear end shaft at the gear coupling (on my 89)

Gear lash at the pinion output, shims used.

Dry drive shaft at ujoint

Dry rear end bearings.

So we are all on the same page...Hope I got that right...

david

I had a 99 Drifter. Nice bike but nothing compared to the RSV. Let me know if your dealer will comp a repair on yours and maybe I'll check mine to see if I can get some free parts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101196[/ATTACH]

Will do. I might hear something this afternoon and I'll let everyone know what he said. Edited by douglasp.burdick

Clarification:

A number of things can cause whine noise from the drive line of a Venture:

Clutch Basket

Broken middle (pinion) gear shaft to U-joint (more common on 1st gens)

Broken rear end shaft at the gear coupling (on my 89)

Gear lash at the pinion output, shims used.

Dry drive shaft at ujoint

Dry rear end bearings.

So we are all on the same page...Hope I got that right...

david

I'll be pulling the rear tire friday for replacement. I was directed to the tech library where I saw the procedures for lubing the diff and drive shaft components. I don't think that's where the noise is coming from but it needs to be done anyway so i'll maybe eliminate that area from the list.

((but it needs to be done anyway so i'll maybe eliminate that area from the list.))

Doug,

That's the idea!

BTW, I had a 1960 Austin Healey Bugeye that I put over 90K miles on many years ago. Went across country multiple times in that beastie...loved it!

Often thought of getting another but....no more room to play with British cars!

((but it needs to be done anyway so i'll maybe eliminate that area from the list.))

Doug,

That's the idea!

BTW, I had a 1960 Austin Healey Bugeye that I put over 90K miles on many years ago. Went across country multiple times in that beastie...loved it!

Often thought of getting another but....no more room to play with British cars!

I'm restoring a '69 MGB for my son-in-law when I find the time!

My input for what its worth is this.I am on my 4th royal star.The first 1 I sold out of fear.I did not know how to handle an 800 pound bike.They are topheavy, if they fall over you need help getting it back up, its scary.Much higher center of gravity than a vulcan.I owned 1 of those also.Every one of them had some sort of whine.They are kind of like a lawnmower.Gas and oil and they never break.The first gens do have some problems in the 83 and some 84 models.With these bikes its about throttle control getting used to them.You can lean them way over once you get used to realizing even though it feels like its going to fall over at slow speeds at anything over 10 mph it wont.Like I say, I have owned one since 2001.The most mileage reported here on one is 350,000.The clutches slip if you use car oils like castrol gtx.My second third and 4th one came after owning to goldwings and a harley ultra.The big bikes are a total different riding experience, but only at slow speeds like parking lots,going around residential corners,stop and go traffic.I first rode mine in a 250 mile trip, but in a big circle,never being more than 40 miles from home.That helped me, maybe it would for you as well.

I see you have a Kawasaki. I had a '99 1500 drifter. But comparing those to a venture really is apples to oranges I guess. Which do you ride the most?

I enjoy both bikes. My Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 I have had since 2003 ( it's a 2000) I ride the wing a bit more, I'd say 65/35 only because I have had the bike a little over a year and wanted to ride this out of state which I already have done 2 x. That said, when I am on the Vulcan, she gets my undivided attention and I usually rack up about 100-200 " local miles"

I enjoy both bikes. My Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 I have had since 2003 ( it's a 2000) I ride the wing a bit more, I'd say 65/35 only because I have had the bike a little over a year and wanted to ride this out of state which I already have done 2 x. That said, when I am on the Vulcan, she gets my undivided attention and I usually rack up about 100-200 " local miles"

I may buy another vulcan oneday. But for now, my wife and I are going to get alot of use from the Venture. Going up to chimney Rock in North Carolina early Sep. Going on some short rides this weekend.

I may buy another vulcan oneday. But for now, my wife and I are going to get alot of use from the Venture. Going up to chimney Rock in North Carolina early Sep. Going on some short rides this weekend.

I have been up there and the RSV will love those twisties. It's very nice there