IGNORED

2 week bike trip

sfcrader

We make it to logansport IN on our way to scottsbluff NE than to the Blackhills SD than back home too Massillon OH.

Today started off rough fuel pump went out luckily I had a spare from pinwall Yea. Hope that is all that happens. Next stop Davenport IA.

2nd gen fuel pump failure ??

I have always wondered, IF??? fuel pump failed on a 2nd gen, is the tank high enough above the carbs, that the engine would keep running, until the fuel was Lower then a "" certain "" level in the tank. ?? Hmmm

Anybody ever experimented with this question ?

I suppose I could disconnect the electrical plug to the pump, fill the tank and give it a try ??

2nd gen fuel pump failure ??

I have always wondered, IF??? fuel pump failed on a 2nd gen, is the tank high enough above the carbs, that the engine would keep running, until the fuel was Lower then a "" certain "" level in the tank. ?? Hmmm

Anybody ever experimented with this question ?

I suppose I could disconnect the electrical plug to the pump, fill the tank and give it a try ??

That has been done, but you have to bypass the pump and only half of the tank remains usable. It will not gravity feed thru the pump.

Awesome Sf, glad you were able to get that puppy back on her feet!! Ride safe out there and have a GREAT trip on the rest of your journey!!

Also,, THANKS for posting the pic,, getting mighty tired of beggin for those pics around here :big-grin-emoticon:

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Love the pics and notes. Your going to be little early for the 75th Anniversary at Sturgis. However the street cams show some vender booths already setup and a small bit of activity around town. Have fun and be safe.

Bill

Made it Davenport safe weather was beautiful. We had plans to make 2015 Sturgis but our company cut our vacation so this was the best we could do. The points on the fuel pump are fused together. Thursday we are taking RT 26 from Ogallala thru Scottsbluff to Torrington. Lots to see on that road. Pics at rest stop on I80.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Why you standing on your head?

I guess its all in how ya see the world DJ,,, I was actually gonna thank him for being the first person in a longggg time to post a picture that I didnt have to stand on my head to be able to view it... :big-grin-emoticon:

Beautiful weather not to hot or to cold. Corn fields as far as you can see and drive. Wind turbines all up and down I80 never seen so many. My lady seen her first true crop dusting LOL. Tomorrow we leave Omaha and head to Ogallala taking I80 to Grand Island than rte 30. Watching my mpg after my fuel pump went out. First day I was get around 28-29 the last 2days I average 33 both days. Not sure what to make of it!

image.jpg

Beautiful weather not to hot or to cold. Corn fields as far as you can see and drive. Wind turbines all up and down I80 never seen so many. My lady seen her first true crop dusting LOL. Tomorrow we leave Omaha and head to Ogallala taking I80 to Grand Island than rte 30. Watching my mpg after my fuel pump went out. First day I was get around 28-29 the last 2days I average 33 both days. Not sure what to make of it!

That's a fine setup you are running there. Can't say I disagree with it one bit:

IMG_3824.jpg

And when I was running my purple/silver '99, two up, loaded, and pulling my tag along trailer my mileage was usually 33/34 mpg. (Mostly 2-lane roads, 55-60 miles per hour, 4th gear.)

Not sure why the pic is upside down I tried to post a couple more last night but too where upside down and 90 degrees to. The right. Using my IPod maybe that is it. Packing up and heading to Ogallala looks to be a beautiful day.

Today started out with temps between 70 and 80, perfect weather. When we made our way to rte30 near grand island the temps was around 91 had to stop and get us more water. We had to get back on I80 due to rte30 closed. Seen 2 RS Venture heading east I80 near North Platte. Made it to Ogallala super8 before the storm rolled in. Make plans for trip to chimney road and scottsbluff tomorrow.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That has been done, but you have to bypass the pump and only half of the tank remains usable. It will not gravity feed thru the pump.

Thanks for that information !! I will open it up, and rig a by-pass hose, or whatever is needed and carry the parts with me. Better to work it out in the garage, then on the road, if the situation rears its ugly head.

Today was another beautiful day to ride. This was a 220 mile ride from Ogallala to Wheatland alon rt 26 but it took 8 hours. Stop along route at historical markers and national monuments. Had to stop and see chimney rock and scottsbluff I love the history of the old west and what they went thru. Just think if we had to do that now LOL. We had lunch in Gering NE at a place called Log Cabin. Nice place big burgers and staff was very nice. Went to Torrington to see my mom and grandparents grave needed to it was hard. On our way to Wheatland on I25 I showed my girl the posted speed limit she had never seen 80 mph. Time for a AW rootbeer float:)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg