IGNORED

Car tire mounted on a RSV

flb_78

Beside that, my question would be, how come that not a single Car Tire Rider hasn't had an Accident or was going down ??

I just can't believe that nobody went down. That is a utmost Probability and against all Numbers. Not that i would say a Car Tire would have to take the Blame of any Accident happening nor it may have contributed to such an Event, but i never read about any Mishap or anything likely. Just makes me wonder.

Im sure there has been and Im sure you can find that on the net too but the one thing Im sure of is this crowd wont tell you about it. They only want to state the few sources that prove they are right. I think I may need to do a little research on this case.

BTW Tartan, how's that research coming? I have yet to find anything about anyone ever wrecking because of a car tire. How about you? Any fiery balls of death yet? :confused24:

Come on, you're coming up on 2 months to research this.

Ive stated my "few sources" that show that it's safe. Where's your "proof" that they won't work? I've posted pics of bikes dragging hard parts, I've posted videos of motorcycles riding on car tires and dragging hard parts. I've posted other rider's accounts of how the motorcycle handling actually feels better with the tire and yet, nothing to support your claim that it's dangerous and it will not work. Ive read that some riders went back to a motorcycle tire because they didn't like the car tire, but that doesn't count, otherwise I get to dismiss every tire that has been mentioned on the forum that folks do not like the handling characteristics of.

Im going to have to disagree with your claim that insurance will not pay as well. Drunk driving and speeding are both against the law, but yet, if you have an accident, they still pay out. They will most likely drop you after they pay, but they still pay.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive never ridden on the sidewall of any tire, unless it was flat. It's funny that my tire is wearing out in the center and the edges still look brand new.

In my estimation you're wearing out the middle of the tire and not the sides because:

"I am running 40psi. That is 5lbs higher then the max, but it handles better. Lowell ran his at 35psi at first, but he now is also running 40psi and likes it better."

You're running 5lbs higher than the max on a tire that was made to carry much more weight than you're putting on it. Let me think here. You're bulging the tire out in the center giving it more of a rounded profile (Hmmm kinda like a motorcycle tire, no wonder it handles better) and not even touching the outside unless you lean.

In my estimation you're wearing out the middle of the tire and not the sides because:

"I am running 40psi. That is 5lbs higher then the max, but it handles better. Lowell ran his at 35psi at first, but he now is also running 40psi and likes it better."

You're running 5lbs higher than the max on a tire that was made to carry much more weight than you're putting on it. Let me think here. You're bulging the tire out in the center giving it more of a rounded profile (Hmmm kinda like a motorcycle tire, no wonder it handles better) and not even touching the outside unless you lean.

Right on the money with that assessment. Gibvel welcome to the fray. I dont understand why some people are so convinced its all about being screwed by tire companies. BFG, the builder of tire they are using does not make Bike tires. If they themselves thougth this was a safe application dont you think they would advertise that tire as an alternative for bikes? Companies always want to sell more tires. My guess if you asked them would be that they dont feel its a correct application. That means they dont feel its safe and if it failed in the wrong application they dont want the liability. Millions are spent by the makers to develop tires and test them all for the purpose of making the best tire and sell the most of them. If BFG thought it was safe it would say also make for MC use. It does not.

I haven't really been following this thread 'cause I outgrew watching pissing contests, and I SWORE I would not join this discussion because I saw no value in it with closed minds on both sides (probably mine too), but I just can't help myself! Not even sure why I decided to check out the last couple of pages today. Anyway, I was having an internal argument with myself about not posting and how much I wanted to say EXACTLY what gibvel said above, then I saw his post. It is uncanny how exact that matched the obvious conclusion I came to when reading the posts about tire wear and inflation. That's spooky, man, get outa my mind!!!:rotf:

So my new conclusion is "gibvel is a genius 'cause he thinks like me!" And I just had to post to support a genius. Ride safe guys, if you can,

Goose

Like Goose, I've watched and not said anything. I still won't comment one way or the other. I do find it fascinating though.Lots of pros and cons.

I would only ask/hope is that it can be kept "professional" and not get personal. Because once it gets too personal you are both going to lose alot and that then becomes a shame.

Like Goose, I've watched and not said anything. I still won't comment one way or the other. I do find it fascinating though.Lots of pros and cons.

I would only ask/hope is that it can be kept "professional" and not get personal. Because once it gets too personal you are both going to lose alot and that then becomes a shame.

Awww, Sarge, you gonna take the fun out of it. Does that mean I can't call gibvel a genius? I thought that was pretty personal. Sorry gibvel, I guess you get demoted back to "average schmuck."

Goose

Schmuck... such a cute word...

Schmuck, Schmuck, Schmuck, Schmuck, Schmuck, Schmuck, Schmuck, Schmuck, Schmuck, Schmuck, Schmuck, Schmuck, Schmuck, Schmuck, Schmuck,

I'll take Schmuck, I'm used to being that!! :thumbsup2: :Bunny: :rotf:

:rotf::rotf:Well...now Goose are still saying he thinks alot like you?:rotf:

Yup, I guess so. He does still seem to think like me, so if I gotta label him as an average schmuck, then I gotta be an average schmuck too. All us dimwitted fools gotta stick together! :thumbsup: (nothing personal, of course).

Goose

just your average everyday Schmoe...

Ooooo Schmoe's a good one too. I may want to be promoted/demoted to Schmoe... hmmmm let's see...

Schumck, Schmoe, Schumck, Schmoe, Schumck, Schmoe this may take some thought.

Ooooo Schmoe's a good one too. I may want to be promoted/demoted to Schmoe... hmmmm let's see...

Schumck, Schmoe, Schumck, Schmoe, Schumck, Schmoe this may take some thought.

Wow, that IS a tough choice - jerk or dimwitted fool? Can I take them both? How 'bout schmuckoe?

Actually, calling someone a genius is a lot nicer then calling someone stupid for posting their experiences with a car tire, while they speculate from their experiences in a recliner in the living room. I wonder just what is to be actually learned while sitting in a chair?

I've been watching this thread like so many others. It seems like most of the people who are for CT look more at mileage than performance and those that are against them are looking at performance. I ride a 1st Gen because of the performance. People talk about dragging boards and that's exactly why I like the 1st Gen, no boards to drag. It sounds like the CT is fine if you're into straight lines and relaxed rides but I would still be pretty uncertain trying to push the edge on a CT. I guess the true test would be to put a CT on a sport bike and see what it would do but wouldn't want to be the one doing the testing. I keep telling my wife that my hair isn't on fire anymore but she says it's still smoldering pretty good so I guess I'll stick with a MT on my 1st Gen until I see someone on a rocket put a CT through it's paces. That's probably what it would take to convince me. I sure hope you guys with the CT are right. I don't want to read about any of you if you know what I mean.

I'll reiterate this... car tires were meant for vehicles of substantially more weight than our motorcycles. .

Not exactly correct,, BFGoodrich T/A Radial 155/80R15 load rating is 83, (1074lbs), the load rating for an Avon Venom 150/90B15 rear is 80 (992lbs)

And that is max load rating.. these size tires were on cars like early Honda Civic Hatchbacks.. Like the one my wife use to have, it weighed 1500lbs,, that is a load as low as 375lbs per tire in an empty car. Less than the per tire load of an RSV.

While I do not and will not use a car tire on my bike, I do believe motorcyclist are being screwed by the tire companies because we on touring bikes are such a small market share they won't bother with trying to give us better mileage. and certainly do not believe that car tires are dangerous to use just because the companies trying to sell us these over priced low mileage motorcycle tires say so.

And of course their engineers say the same thing, I work for a large corporation and I too must publicly agree with my companies stand if I want to keep my job, doesn't mean it is true.

Edited by hig4s

I only have 3,500 mi experience on my RSV and maybe I'm getting a little whimpy as I advance in years, :backinmyday: but when I gave my ride the gas in 1st gear in a 90 degree turn, that rear tire was going sideways and was spinnin out on its sidewall. Made me think that there are some ponies in her that I do not need to let loose and lose control. :no-no-no:

Similar experience with the 1100 VT Sabre, except I was in a 90 degree yield lane. When I shifted into 2nd with full throttle, that back tire was taking us sideways just enough to make my knees almost put permanent dents in the gas tank!

Both had OEM MC tires. Wonder if CT would have been better or worse - guess that is the magic answer yet to be found!

I only have 3,500 mi experience on my RSV and maybe I'm getting a little whimpy as I advance in years, :backinmyday: but when I gave my ride the gas in 1st gear in a 90 degree turn, that rear tire was going sideways and was spinnin out on its sidewall. Made me think that there are some ponies in her that I do not need to let loose and lose control. :no-no-no:

Similar experience with the 1100 VT Sabre, except I was in a 90 degree yield lane. When I shifted into 2nd with full throttle, that back tire was taking us sideways just enough to make my knees almost put permanent dents in the gas tank!

Both had OEM MC tires. Wonder if CT would have been better or worse - guess that is the magic answer yet to be found!

Sounds like you're running Bridgestones otherwise known as Slickstones

If I were you I know from experience that it should not be doing that...Check the rear shock as mine went out but it still holds air and it is kinda squirrely when I corner hard so I am taking it easy till my new works performance shock arrives. Tom (Look for oil at the base of the rear shock)

I've been watching this thread like so many others. It seems like most of the people who are for CT look more at mileage than performance and those that are against them are looking at performance. I ride a 1st Gen because of the performance. People talk about dragging boards and that's exactly why I like the 1st Gen, no boards to drag. It sounds like the CT is fine if you're into straight lines and relaxed rides but I would still be pretty uncertain trying to push the edge on a CT. I guess the true test would be to put a CT on a sport bike and see what it would do but wouldn't want to be the one doing the testing. I keep telling my wife that my hair isn't on fire anymore but she says it's still smoldering pretty good so I guess I'll stick with a MT on my 1st Gen until I see someone on a rocket put a CT through it's paces. That's probably what it would take to convince me. I sure hope you guys with the CT are right. I don't want to read about any of you if you know what I mean.

I ride in Iron Butt Runs, so I am looking at both mileage and performance from my CT.

I have a BF Goodrich T/A Radial mounted 155/80 15, at 40psi and it handles all the road conditions wet and dry better than the Metzlers did...and I was only getting around 7500 miles out of the Metz...I tow a pop up camper and ride 2 up a lot too.

I can take curves at higher speeds without any problem and I have yet to come close to going past the tread edge.

I am not into scrapping my boards, but I can lean into turns a lot more aggressively with the CT...but!

I am not into hot rodding and could care less about running Deals Gap and the Dragon Tail...I just want to be capable of doing so, without losing the bike, and the CT allows that.

Braking and ride comfort are improved also....

I might point out that back in 1970 I owned a 54 Harley Hydra Glide and ran VW tires on it...

There were few options back then...the tread pattern was flatter than the T/A Radial I am using now, and I never had a moments trouble...why would anything change just because I am on a Venture in 2008? and on modern tires.

I would also point out that it is the nature of a radial tire to round out as it rolls, so you should never be able to ride up on the side walls of a CT like you can on a MT....

When I ran Dunlop 404's they had as flat a tread profile as the radial does.

Looking at a pic of my tire shows it is not sitting flat, but actually rounded at the sides...

[ATTACH]18443[/ATTACH]