IGNORED

Car tire mounted on a RSV

flb_78

I considered going to the dark side.....but then I checked with my Insurance Company.

I'll stick with the MC tires thank you very much.:whistling:

To each his own and ride safe.........Boomer

For everyone- what exactly did they tell you?

Maybe they will listen if you tell them.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For everyone- what exactly did they tell you?

Maybe they will listen if you tell them.

I got call backs from both my Insurance Agent and a Company Supervisor. They both informed me that if I installed a CT on the bike my Policy would be canceled immediately.

I can't pull a fast one regarding this because my next door neighbor is my Insurance Agent....and she is as honest as the day is long.

As I stated previously....to each his own and ride safe.

Regards........Boomer

I was just curious because this is one of the things that I have been trying to tell them all along. Now if you had put on that tire and anything bad had happened what would the Insurance Co do?

Boomer thanks for reporting this and hopefully this will make some of the others thinking of dong this think before they act.

Is it really worth taking the chance and keep hoping you never need to test this out. Those who have had accidents of any sort know that they investigate and will look for any reason not to pay and when they do determine you are entitled to payout how many still need to fight for a honest settlement. Is it really worth it to make that process impossible?

Edited by Tartan Terror

I appreciate the input about the insurance...But until my policy clearly states that I CAN NOT use the tire of my choice...I will continue to run a CT.

They can find reasons to not pay a claim all day long, and as my lawyers have done in the past, they will keep counter filing.

A lot of customs come with a CT and are covered as is...

If it comes to it...I will gladly be the test case.

But until I see verifiable proof that a CT is dangerous...and not from a tire company or one of it's consultants...I will continue to ride on it.

As I have already stated...I ran CT's on my old Harleys, along with everyone else, and the quality of tires back then pales in comparison to the ones those of us on the 'Dark Side' are using today.

I had thought long and hard before going to the CT...it wasn't a hasty decision, but one based on thousands of testimonies from CT users I have read over the past year....

The burden therefore is on me and those that use a CT on their motorcycle, and no one else, so to continue to argue the nay side is like preaching to the choir....

If someone wants to try it...no amount of persuasion will deter them.

I have read all of your concerns along with those of countless others and I still made the decision to try it...

If we never tried the stuff that 'they' said was crazy, or wouldn't work...we'd never have got off the ground at Kitty Hawk...now we orbit the earth....

If nothing else...maybe the MT manufacturers will catch on that we are tired of them raping us with their shoddy tires at inflated prices and make some changes...

Ever ask yourself why we pay so friggin' much for a MT? It's because they have convinced you that you have too...They should cost no more, in fact maybe less than a CT...

Not too many years ago...I could get 15,000 to 20,000 miles out of a Dunlop 404...today I would get 8000.

They figured out that if they made the tire less durable...we'd gladly chuck out dollar after dollar to replace them....

Not me...not anymore.

I switched from the dangerous Metzler rear tire to the car tire on my Venture. I really like the car tire much better than the Metzler, which has been documented and proved as being a very bad tire choice on this website. To tell you the truth, I really do feel safer on the TA Radial. As far as insurance, I feel that it is a unnecessary evil placed on us, just as is the mandatory helmet law. Too many folks have their fingers in it and all are out to make a easy dime. It looks like the safety Nazis are getting their way, and in all likelihood, bikes will be outlawed as being to dangerous as a public means of transportation. Thank God there are still a few bikers out there that don't conform to the common whim of the masses.

I don't know how it works in US, but here in Germany, if they find anything illegal on the Bike they will go to make you responsible for the Accident happened. Even if the Issue has nothing to do with the Accident.

It is one Thing to file a Claim against an Insurance for not paying you, but it is sure another Thing to get sued by an Insurance for Reimbursement of any Costs of the opposing Party.

The Insurance has to pay at first hand and without regarding the Facts they have. But they will go after you with everything they have (which is everything in such a Case) and after everything you have, moneywise spoken. So, being in an Accident, regardless of who's at Fault, will give you a good Chance in loosing everything you ever earned in the Past and everything you will earn in the Future.

Only Way to avoid this, is to get the Tire writen into the Papers, but you will find no Engineer here which certifies a CT on a leaning Vehicle. Sidecars, Trikes will get a Sign from somebody, but sure not a leaning Vehicle as a Motorcycle.

I have read the pros & cons of mounting a CT on a motorcycle and since I have not ridden a bike with a CT on it, I don't really have any way of knowing what it is like. I did call my insurance company and ask about coverage and the agent said she did not see why it would have an impact on coverage but would check with headquarters and see and call me back. I do not have a final answer, she called me back and said she had not been able to get a definate answer, the question was being moved up to higher management. So far no one has had a problem with a car tire, but they will call me back again when a definate answer is given by upper management. When I get the final answer, I will post.

Just wondering, has anyone talked to a rider that has personally had a bad experience with a CT on a bike?

I haven't heard of anyone in the past year that had any thing bad happen as a result of a CT...

A couple of people were hit, but that would have happened if they had been in a tank at that time and place...

But no...I can't report about anything happening as a result of using a car tire on a motorcycle, and I have read everything I have been able to find on the subject...

I have'nt heard about any accident due to a car tire, but on this site, I have heard of terrible things happening to the Metzler motorcycle tire, and the dangers of rideing on one. I seen Pictures! and 1st hand statements! not rumors heard from a friend of a friend! Right here on this website! :-)

Just curious, could you let us know who your provider is when you get the final answer.

Thanks

Sure, I use Dairyland Insurance. Like I said, the agent said she could not see a problem with the CT so she called someone above her in management and their response was the same but they are going up higher and make sure. I will post the answer when I hear something.

Just wondering, has anyone talked to a rider that has personally had a bad experience with a CT on a bike?

no yet, but Tartan was going to check into this over 2 months ago and post all the stories of motorcycles that have wrecked because of it. He was going to do this because he said that we who are running a tire are not posting those stories, but this is coming from a guy who says Harleys handle better.

Still waiting.

On April 4

Beside that, my question would be, how come that not a single Car Tire Rider hasn't had an Accident or was going down ??

I just can't believe that nobody went down. That is a utmost Probability and against all Numbers. Not that i would say a Car Tire would have to take the Blame of any Accident happening nor it may have contributed to such an Event, but i never read about any Mishap or anything likely. Just makes me wonder.

Replied on April 4

Im sure there has been and Im sure you can find that on the net too but the one thing Im sure of is this crowd wont tell you about it. They only want to state the few sources that prove they are right. I think I may need to do a little research on this case.

:080402gudl_prv:

no yet, but Tartan was going to check into this over 2 months ago and post all the stories of motorcycles that have wrecked because of it. He was going to do this because he said that we who are running a tire are not posting those stories, but this is coming from a guy who says Harleys handle better.

Still waiting.

On April 4

Replied on April 4

:080402gudl_prv:

I guess now you know more than the Insurance Companies now too.

Insurance companies crunch numbers and look at what they perceive as risk. Their perception, and what is real, aren't always the same.

I, for one, would be interested in any first hand accounts of car tires installed on motorcycles causing or being a contributing factor in any accident.

I've been in engineering long enough to know that occasionally a device used for other than its intended and designed purpose can sometimes work in the unusual application and that it can occasionally work very well.:backinmyday: To me, using car tires on a motorcycle is an intriguing, but unproven, possibility. A car tire typically has a weight rating that far exceeds the entire loaded weight of a motorcycle. I believe this may be the factor that allows a car tire to survive the significant sidewall flexing that occurs during cornering.

My riding is almost all two up and often fully loaded. I also live approximately 5 miles from the nearest pavement, so we do a fair bit of gravel and dirt road riding, (try to keep a Midnight Venture clean when you have to ride on dirt & gravel). The tread design of most car tires provides better traction on the gravel and dirt than any motorcycle tire available for our bikes. The tread depth of most car tires is significantly greater than a motorcycle tire. This should improve wet weather handling and reduce to potential for rear tire hydroplaning.

So, please keep the information coming and let’s put the personal digs aside. :no-no-no:

I've been in engineering long enough to know that occasionally a device used for other than its intended and designed purpose can sometimes work in the unusual application and that it can occasionally work very well.

So, please keep the information coming and let’s put the personal digs aside. :no-no-no:

Like a screwdriver has been used for many things, a door opener, chisel, pry bar, hammer and many other uses. Go ahead and admit that you only use it as Screwdriver,then we can call you lier :rotf:

Yes please on the last statement above.

Brad

I said nothing about insurance in my post. I said that YOU were going to post up all the stories about people who have wrecked because of their car tire because YOU were sure there were stories all over the internet about how it does not work.

Hurry up and buy your Harley and get off this board.

Running the BFG 155/80R15 leaves about .561 inches room between the tire and drive shaft...

You could possibly go to a 175/80R15 which is approx 1/2 inch wider and that should still leave clearance enough not to cause problems...

That's a pretty poor response. Insurance Companies are about 1 thing and 1 thing only, making as much money as possible. Everything else they due is a nuisance and hinderance to the 1 thing.

As I have said before Car tires are wrong on bikes. There are few on here that have tried it and maybe are doing ok for now. The people I am trying to reach are the ones that just came on the board and maybe just got the RSV and need a new tire. Some of you have chosen it knowing the risks. I wish you good luck but you know the risks and if something happens you were warned. Good luck with that. I dont want to see anyone come on here and just because a few people have it think that it is fine without knowing the risk.

One person in particular often questions my experience. I have owned my own tire business that caters fron everything from lawn tires to OTR tires and everything in between. I have had it now for 12 years and own it as a partner with my Father. Ive been in the business for much longer than 12 years and Dad has been doing tires for 45 years. I also worked for Goodyear racing on a part time basis for 12 years also. That being said I think I know a few things about tires of all types as well as applications. I research and solve the issues all the time.

If something happens as said before your Insurance Co will not back you up. Some on here say they want to screw you. Well that is true. They dont want to pay out. Fact is if the bike maker says the CT dont belong on there and the CT builder says it dont belong on there you will loose if you go to court. Some may be having good experience with the CT but if it comes down to this you will loose and loose alot. Some have checked with thier companies and flat out was told we will cancel you. Other people have checked and were told they needed to look farther into it. Probably never been asked before. If your company tells you that you can use it GET IT IN WRITING!

In NY you will fail your inspection Immediatly for a CT. Some states dont even check. If you think this is an ok once again call you insurance and get it in writing.

If you want to believe that everyone in the world is out to screw you then fine. Believe that but remember if it comes down to it a Tire Co will screw you. When the lawsuit comes they will say that CT should not be on a MC then you will be really be screwed. This is the world we live in so you need to cross your T's and dot your I's. Dont expect them to stand by you if you get hurt with a CT on a scoot. We have enough trouble with claims on legitimate tire failures on the proper vehicles.

All that being Said if you choose a CT be prepared for the consequenses. All I can say is thank God there are so few bikes that you can even fit a CT under being that most are too narrow or the rim size is too big.

Also FLB even if I were to buy a Harley tomorrow I will still be here.No plans to go anywhere.

I think some Folks are putting this Insurance/Legal Issue down to a Point where it seems not to count. It's not.

I may be stressing this, but as long as the Insurance Company doesn't state that they are fine with are CT on the Bike, and manifest this in a Piece of Paper with an accountable Undersign on it, i wouldn't feel very comfortable with it. They could make you responsible and accountable for all Costs of an Accident. This could be everything you own and will own in your Life. As i said before, technically spoken, there are some Things in Question, on the other Hand there is Lot of Proof that this works for a Lot of People and i won't reiterate all this again.

The 'Fight' you both are helding here is over this CT Issue in Tone is way beyond Kindergarten. You should both look into yourself and slap your Backhead just once. Then go back to normal Mode.

Edit ....

i was typing too slow for getting my Comment in, TT was faster on that

Edited by Squeeze