IGNORED

Car tire mounted on a RSV

flb_78

No argument, Mr Terror - just facts - in my post anyway :confused24:. Your quote from manual read "Bridgestone". Again it is not the tire but the difference in the sizes that it was referring too - that's all I was pointing out here.

I would really like to see this thread locked for reading only before somebody says something stupid and later might regret it. Also at this point it seems to be a waste of time - when we all could be riding whatever tire we like to ride on!

If not that - then at least open the CT/Darkside forum for more pointed factual discussins, which I would be more inclined to enjoy - instead of more back & forth accusations such as

"You guys are really grasping at straws for every opportunity for more arguments arent you."

Edited by dharnie

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dam you guys are going for the record number of posts on one subject, I haven't read the whole thing but I presume it's only one subject.

I really don't have anything bad or good to say about what you are doing with the car tires but back in the fifties and sixties we ran a lot of car tires on the old Harley's and they didn't have near the rounded edge the tires do today. I will say it got a little exciting sometimes in the curves because the old tires were pretty flat on the tread side.

I see a lot of bikes with car tires on them, especially the ones with the V8 engines.

With all that said I would not run a car tire on my bike but that's just me.

Just be careful and know what you're riding on.

Jerry

Actually if you read the manual carefully you will find it states that there are two approved tires for the RSV.. One is the stock Bridgestones and the other is the stock Dunlops, and that is because no other tires have been tested by Yamaha.

What we need is a motorcycle magazine, with professional riders, on a track to ride full dress bikes and cruisers with both stock and CTs to compare them, list the perceived pros and cons, and give a detailed analysis .

Now you're talking apples and oranges.

To answer the question... Metzler tires were designed for a bike car tires were designed for a ... well, I think you know.

I actually think is all crazy, but that is from my owners manual (the 2005 RSTD), and if you are going to try and be technical and go by what the manufacturer says, that is what they say, so technically it is apples to apples, two unapproved tires.

One of the greatest thing about this site is the way we can agree to disagree. With the large number of posts on this subject, and the fact that we haven't killed each other yet, shows that we are at least willing to tolerate each other having different opinions. That being said, I AINT GONNA RUN A CAR TIRE ON MY RIDE!!!:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

quote=Tartan Terror;213740]That is not true. They do use them as they are a Japanesse tire manufacturer.

I'm sorry buddy, I thought that you implied that the only reason Yamaha recommended and used Bridgestones as a OEM tire was because they were made in Japan. By that token, since Dunlops were the OEM on the later Ventures, they were made in Japan. I thought it a little odd that Harley would use a Japan made tire as a OEM. :-)

I find it interesting that someone not connected to Yamaha knows why they choose a particular brand of tire to mount on their bikes and what they actually mean whey they list approved tires in their manual and the description includes size and brand. Just wondering if aftermarket seats, pipes, grips etc void the warranty and risk insurance being cancelled?

Has anyone tried an aircraft tire? Heck they are probably FAA approved and aren't they something like 28ply, load range G?

Should hold up to anything.

Hey...aren't most small aircraft two wheelers?

I think we may be on to something here....

Just as a point of reference, I did check with my insurance company (Progressive) and the email I got back was that it would NOT change my policy if I put a car tire on the rear of the RSV. I don't know if this varies from state to state but, at least here in Colorado, it seems to be okay.

Not that I'm going to do it, but it seems as if Progressive doesn't care. Just an FYI.

thanks for the update, progressive is my insurance co. i now have 4,367 on my c/t.

best reguards

don c.

So what tire are you running and what are your experiences with your car tire?:detective:

hi ob-1

i am useing the b.f.goorich t/a radial 155/80r/15. i realy like it so far. just returned from riding the three sisters / some say the twisted sisters. fm337,fm336 & fm335 some of the top rated twistes in the state by ride texas magazine. just out side of kerrville, texas. had no problems, total of 800 miles in two days. i do not ride aggresively. but i do run at least 5 to10 mph over the posted speed limit all the time. nor do i try to scrape the floorboards, but it's nice to know i can if i have to. i am looking for the milage /coast aspect of this tire. 40,000 miles @ $75.00. i have read a lot on this mod, and as stated before. it's not for everyone & i will not twist your arm. but i will pass along my experiance and info about this mod. i will be rideing the bike up to canada for the 08 international rally. i will also be pulling my tow behind trailer with all my camping gear.

when i ware this tire down i might try the kumho solus kr21 165/80r-15 next. its just a little bigger.

i must tell anyone to take it easy for a couple hundred miles when you do this mod, so you can scrape the mode release coating and get use to the tire. thanks for checking out the darkside. aways feel free to contact me for any help or more info.

best reguards

don c.

BTW, I heard from BF Goodrich about a warranty question. They will not warranty a tire that is used in a misapplication.

Also asked Dunlop why durometer tests show a High mileage car tire to be a softer compound than a lower mileage bike tire. The reply:

Mark -

Typically, people believe a harder compound will always provide better

mileage when compared to a softer compound. This is not always true. If

the polymer type is changed or high grade carbon is applied, a softer

compound can provide better mileage.

Not trying to cause a row just passing along some things that I found out FYI

Just as a point of reference, I did check with my insurance company (Progressive) and the email I got back was that it would NOT change my policy if I put a car tire on the rear of the RSV. I don't know if this varies from state to state but, at least here in Colorado, it seems to be okay.

Not that I'm going to do it, but it seems as if Progressive doesn't care. Just an FYI.

I have Progressive Insurance as well. :cool10:

You're lucky to get any tire manufacturer to warranty any tire.

Actually I had BF Goodrick replace all four tires on my van. At first they stated under inflated as the tire separated at the bead, all the way around. A front blew out on me at 80 mph. The very next week another one went flat sitting in the driveway, bead was all cracked. Had the dealer pull the other two same thing on all four and they pro rated them of course but, they never said it was a tire problem, just paid the bill.

Brad

BTW, I heard from BF Goodrich about a warranty question. They will not warranty a tire that is used in a misapplication.

Do they mean, like, useing it as a swing? :-)

Hmmm think you'll have to ask them on that one!! :whistling: :rotf:

I have Progressive too, and it has been a general rule with them, that unless something is spelled out in the policy as unacceptable, they cover it...

So unless they specifically reject the use of a particular type of equipment, such as car tires, they won't deny your claim.

I would have to look but I think it spells out the types of things not covered WITHOUT a rider...and those are generally add-ons, like custom paint, custom wheels, CD players not factory installed...

Also asked Dunlop why durometer tests show a High mileage car tire to be a softer compound than a lower mileage bike tire. The reply:

Mark -

Typically, people believe a harder compound will always provide better

mileage when compared to a softer compound. This is not always true. If

the polymer type is changed or high grade carbon is applied, a softer

compound can provide better mileage.

Not trying to cause a row just passing along some things that I found out FYI

Thanks for that info, 'G"...

I have been telling people for ages that MT's are harder...it isn't for mileage it's more for sturdiness, and the don't stick when wet...

My Elites were like snot on a door knob in the rain...my BF Goodrich T/A Radial is like flypaper in the rain...

ER , ah...for someone not interested in going to the Dark side...you sure seem interested....

Just noting...

[ATTACH]18620[/ATTACH]

Edited by thebighop

Actually I had BF Goodrick replace all four tires on my van. At first they stated under inflated as the tire separated at the bead, all the way around. A front blew out on me at 80 mph. The very next week another one went flat sitting in the driveway, bead was all cracked. Had the dealer pull the other two same thing on all four and they pro rated them of course but, they never said it was a tire problem, just paid the bill.

Brad

I bet the dealer warrantied it, not BFG. I know we warrantied many tires for "customer satisfaction" and then fought with the tire company to do a partial reimbursement.