IGNORED

Car tire mounted on a RSV

flb_78

:stirthepot:

As the pics show, you can fit a wider tire then the I put on.

This is a BFGoodrich T/A Radial 155/80R15.

There is a good 1/2 inch of clearance between the tire and driveshaft.

If I ever wear this tire out, I will go wider.

ADDED : If you have a sidecar or a Voyager Kit, this is a must do mod.

ADDED EVEN MORE : Current mileage is 74265

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope everyone will listen to reason and not jump on this band wagon. Just a real bad and dangerous Idea.

yes, please keep putting on Metzlers and Michelins that have been proven to come apart and blow out even with regular maintenance. :stirthepot:

The bike rides fine in a straight line and rear brakes only lock up now if I stand on the pedal. Turning is different, but every turn is getting faster and steadier.

I'll have much more experience tomorrow.

OK! When my rear Metzler finally wears down I'll be fitting this car tire on my Venture. Thanks for sharing this information. I hope you continue to share your experiences in these posts. It seems that there are a few posters that must have had a bad experience with a car tire mounted on their bike. I wonder if it was a bias ply or radial tire, and if it rubbed on the drive shaft housing causing the negative feelings?

OK! When my rear Metzler finally wears down I'll be fitting this car tire on my Venture. Thanks for sharing this information. I hope you continue to share your experiences in these posts. It seems that there are a few posters that must have had a bad experience with a car tire mounted on their bike. I wonder if it was a bias ply or radial tire, and if it rubbed on the drive shaft housing causing the negative feelings?

To me it's more a matter of common sense prevailing. Looking at the profile of the tire you can see that it is not rounded so rolling into a turn will be a hairy thing. The bike going straight will be riding on a flat contact patch and in the turns it will have to transition to the edge of the tire. An edge by the way that WAS NOT DESIGNED to be ridden on and a MUCH smaller contact patch.

I do however agree that if you were to put a Voyager kit, or side car on the bike then this might be a better alternative since turns are different and would handle the extra weight better.

Yep, it's a little shorter. I also purchased a speedo healer and will install it tomorrow.

Would the one size bigger also be 1/2" taller? I was also wondering why you would need a speedo healer. I thought speedo readings come from the front wheel. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyways, let us know how this works out for you. There are alot of Goldwing owners who have switched to the dark side and other than getting used to slightly different handling, I have yet to hear of a bad experience. I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out. Keep us informed. Thanks.

I would have to take the stand that TT and others have mentioned . Sure your getting off cheaper in the long run with longer lasting tires . I would most likely look into a CT as well , but a little birdie tells me that if the MC industry wanted CT's on a MC , they would have done that a long time ago . And yes they did that a long time ago , but were the scoots built like they are today along with many more maniacs behind the handlebars ?

Scoots with Voyager Kits and sidecar , the tires ride more on the flat sides . I just hope and pray that I do not have to see you on your bottom side . :fingers-crossed-emo

BEER30

ADDED : If you have a sidecar or a Voyager Kit, this is a must do mod.

That’s great! Now if I can only find one for the front I can get a set of studded snow tires and ride all year!! :snow2:

Forrest,

I have ridden with you and know for a fact that you have a very agressive riding style, please let us know how you like the car tire. If it works for you, I know it will work for me. Thanks for your posts, some may or may not agree, but in my thinking when this or any other link does not support new ideas it is time to shut them down, or at least time for me to quit being a part of them.

Your going to turn/lean on a tire that is flat shaped. That puts you on the edge of the tire and not as much tread on the ground. Also an automobile radial is designed so the tread lays flat on the ground while the sidewall flexs. IMHO its just not worth it to me. Nothing wrong with having ideas, some just don't look like they will work, but good luck and be careful while trying it out.

Guest oldman

ADDED : If you have a sidecar or a Voyager Kit, this is a must do mod.[/quote

Did you happen to measure the rim width when you had the tire off. I was so eger to get my ct on that I didn't even think to measure mine. This would also effect weather we could put on a wider tire. Thanks Oldman

Did you happen to measure the rim width when you had the tire off. I was so eger to get my ct on that I didn't even think to measure mine. This would also effect weather we could put on a wider tire. Thanks Oldman

Nope, didn't measure the wheel. I wouldn't be too worried about "approved rim widths" though. I've seen some fat tires mounted on skinny rims and have never seen one roll off the bead unless tire pressure was way too low.

Guest oldman
Nope, didn't measure the wheel. I wouldn't be too worried about "approved rim widths" though. I've seen some fat tires mounted on skinny rims and have never seen one roll off the bead unless tire pressure was way too low.

If we put a real wide tire on a narrow rim it would make the tire more rounded then we wouldn't have to be afraid to go around a corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rotf::cool10::whistling:

I have a local dealer who ordered a Radial on Friday for me to look at. I left the note on my desk and I don't remember for sure the size. I think it is wider that what y'all are using but according to him I don't have to take it if I don't think it will work.

I also talked with a company in Tennesse who sells tires for old vintage cars and motorcycles. He is the one who had asked me for the width of the wheel. I am supposed to call him back Monday or Tuesday with that info and he will try to match it up with a tire that should work.

Jeff

hi flb_78

was just wondering what brand and size front tire are you using with the rear bfg t/a 155/80r/15? this tire is a radial correct and is your front tire a radial also? i'am using metzeler me880's right now. the front tire is a 130/90 hb-16. the rear is a 150/90 hb-15 just wondering do i keep the me880 front to use with the bfg t/a radial rear?

thanks in advance

don:stirthepot:

I just put a new rear tire on mamamos voyager 99. I'm sure the straight line running will wear down the rear sooner then expected. This might be a idea for rear tire replacement later. I bet the load rating is higher on that B.F. Goodrich. I blowed a new metzler in Connecticuit last summer. I paid $500 for a Uhaul to bring her on in. I could have bought several car tires for that. The voyager kit is always attached and the scoot is never operated without it. The voyager kit makes for a great towing scoot.

P/S Your idea would never work here in WV on a standard scoot. We have more twisties then straight roads.Please be careful and keep us posted on tire wear,handling, and performance.

Man, if only I could find a car tire with white walls on both sides. I'd like to be doing this and not be spending such ridiculous money on motorcycle tires that don't last. Gotta have my WWs though, like Indiana Jones gotta have his hat. My bike just doesn't look right without them.

I'm sorry, but I firmly believe that putting a car tire on a motorcycle is the most dangerous thing that you could do. A radial car tire is made with soft sidewalls. When you get into a turn and the bike leans far enough to ride on the edge of the tire, the tire will shift to the side. This could cause some very dangerous rubbing against the frame or driveshaft. It would also make the bike unstable during the transition. I would not feel comfortable knowing that the tire is that unstable.

I wish you luck with the experiment. I hope it works out for you.

Ride Safe

First off let me say I have never put a car tire on a bike and never will. My reasons are different than many others though. I still ride mine like I rode my sportbike and as well as a car tire works you can not throw it into a curve like a bike tire with as much confidence. As for the safety aspect of it I ride with two guys that use car tires and love them. One on a VTX and one on a Warrior. The guy on the VTX has over 7,000 miles on the car tire without any signs of wear and the only thing he said was at the beginning you have to get used to the way it leans into a curve. Not dangerous, just different. The guy on the Warrior likes the tire but says when it wears out hes going back to his 200 series bike tire for the higher speed handling in the curves. Yeah well, we'll see what last longer. The car tire or the bike on that one. I'm not saying there are not differences in handling, we spoke about these in length when the VTX rider first changed over, but once you get used to the differences it does seem like a great option for touring.

Thanks for your posts, some may or may not agree, but in my thinking when this or any other link does not support new ideas it is time to shut them down, or at least time for me to quit being a part of them.

So let me get this straight. Because some of us are concerned about the use of a car tire on a MC and we don't support the idea this thread should be shut down? Last time I checked this was a free country and we have the right to express ourselves on this board as long as it's respectful of others. It's good to have an open discussion about something that possibly poses a safety issue.

MC tires wear out faster than car tires, we all know that, that doesn't make the car tire a safer choice for a MC. MC tires are designed to be ridden on the side where as car tires are not. MC tires are made of softer rubber to give GRIP on those sides, car tires are not. Just because some have had a good experience with car tires doesn't mean it's safe for all. Driving styles are different, usage is different.

I am probably one of the members on this site who goes through tires more than most. I commute every day as well as weekend rides. I put 27,000 miles on my bike this past year. I would love to have a longer lasting tire, but not at the expense of possibly leaving my wife and kid without a husband and father.

Bottom line just because someone doesn't agree with your thinking doesn't automatically make them wrong, and should be censored.