IGNORED

mounting a driver cup holder

Find Bob Myers. He and another fellow developed snaggly bar or something to help mounting stuff on the 1st gen bars. I have a very inexpensive one off e-bay, think I gave $20 for it. You could remove the bolt at whatever joint on bracket and tap a hole in handlebar and bolt it up to bars and keep the articulation part of holder.

GFCUPHSU_800.jpg

Here is a low cost alternative. The cup holder cost $6 and the short mount studs were free (well, a couple of minutes time to cut, drill and tap some scrap aluminum). I used 1" stock, but I might turn them down to 7/8" to make them work with more accessories. Cup holder seems to work alright. More miles will tell the tale. If it doesn't work out, I am not loosing any sleep over it.

MC Cup Holder1.jpgMC Cup Holder2.jpgMC Cup Holder3.jpg

anyone know of a good cup holder to mount on my 83 venture and where is a good spot to mount it as most wont fit the square handle bars

I was wondering about this to. I ran across this on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KURYAKYN-UNIVERSAL-DRINK-HOLDER-CUP-STAINLESS-MUG-1463/121254131776?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D30543%26meid%3D7eca6873d27b4df196c1093855b27d1a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D361296612614&rt=nc

question: Are you guys just using these to transport your coffee from place to place or are you trying to drink it while riding?

Seems to me trying to drink coffee while riding is kinda "sketchy", but I've also never tried.

:think:

I transport my coffee to work from Timmies in a sealed thermal mug (it's actually a Starbucks stainless mug) and strapped in the side bags. Works well, doesn't spill or get cold.....

Are you guys just using these to transport your coffee from place to place or are you trying to drink it while riding?

The majority of the people I know that have a drink holder use it while riding, me included. Some folks feel comfortable with doing this, as do I. I ride with 1 hand often, especially if one of my arms need a break. Using your head is important, obviously I and many others dont do it in a heavy city traffic ride where you need to be concentrating on other traffic.

I have the Kuryakyn very similar to the one in the ebay link above on the MM edition and I like it a lot. Mine has an imitation leather pouch to hold a can or bottle instead of the coffee cup. I think I picked it up at local Honda store. It mounts by replacing the bolts holding the brake or clutch reservoir to the handle bar. Not familiar with the 83 so I am not sure if it will fit. Another plus to these is they make other things like cell phone/gps holders and generic mounting plates that fit the same mount. I use the cup holder most of the time but if I need the gps, the mount swaps by simply removing something like a wing nut and pulling free from the mount.

• 1 month later...
The majority of the people I know that have a drink holder use it while riding, me included. Some folks feel comfortable with doing this, as do I. I ride with 1 hand often, especially if one of my arms need a break. Using your head is important, obviously I and many others dont do it in a heavy city traffic ride where you need to be concentrating on other traffic.

GW is probably too busy hanging off the side of his bike to ever consider taking a sip of coffee. :biker:

I mounted a bare foot willies cup holder on the right side handle for the driver and one on the right side grab handle for the passenger. Great product and a great warranty, I've been using them since 2000.
I have a gimballed cup holder on the 90 VR that was purchased at Walmart. It works well enough and does clamp to the handlebar. The problem when using a holder with a standard paper/foam coffee cup is it spurts out of the drink hole every time you hit a bump. Been thinking about getting a sports bottle with a straw hole. Problem is all the drink holders are rather puny but then sport bottles are on the puny side too. Anyway, do you think a Barefoot Willies is big enough to hold a sports bottle?

Wonder if an IV might not be the best coffee solution. :doh:

I have a gimballed cup holder on the 90 VR that was purchased at Walmart. It works well enough and does clamp to the handlebar. The problem when using a holder with a standard paper/foam coffee cup is it spurts out of the drink hole every time you hit a bump. Been thinking about getting a sports bottle with a straw hole. Problem is all the drink holders are rather puny but then sport bottles are on the puny side too. Anyway, do you think a Barefoot Willies is big enough to hold a sports bottle?

Wonder if an IV might not be the best coffee solution. :doh:

The bare foot willies comes with a can coozie and is big enough for those supersize cups. It seems to bee good for paper coffee cups as long as there sealed and double lidded. Most of the time I'm using my stainless insulated coffee thermos cup or a Nalgene bottle with water. I just recently had broken the mounting clamp on the cup holder I bought in 2000 when switching it to my rsmv and they had a new one to me in days free of charge.

image.jpg

The bare foot willies comes with a can coozie and is big enough for those supersize cups. It seems to bee good for paper coffee cups as long as there sealed and double lidded. Most of the time I'm using my stainless insulated coffee thermos cup or a Nalgene bottle with water.
I have a 32 oz Nalgene bottle that I carry at work but it fits into a belt bag that requires two hands to get it in or out which is not conducive to use while traveling.

The only way to know for sure is to get the dimensions so what is the inside diameter of the drink holder without the foam cozy and how deep is the holder? I'm hoping to find a 16 oz...or so.... bottle that will fit into a well constructed holder.

Thanks for your help with this.

I used a Barefoot Willie myself but had to modified the mounting ring to tighten it up some. It worked better by adding a cooler. Only problem is you are limited on your sizes of drinks.

attachment.php?attachmentid=51162&d=1286675609

I have a 32 oz Nalgene bottle that I carry at work but it fits into a belt bag that requires two hands to get it in or out which is not conducive to use while traveling.

The only way to know for sure is to get the dimensions so what is the inside diameter of the drink holder without the foam cozy and how deep is the holder? I'm hoping to find a 16 oz...or so.... bottle that will fit into a well constructed holder.

Thanks for your help with this.

The most recent bare foot willies cup holder I received a week or so ago has an inside diameter of 3 1/2 inches by 4 inches tall and the can coozie fits loosely. The bare foot willies cup holder I bought in 2000 is smaller and the coozie fits snugly. Hope this helps

Edited by Great adVENTURE