IGNORED

new VENTURE OWNER what did i do!

Hello all,

Ok so I ride mostly a sport touring bike.

Currently a 98 concourse

But my fiancée loves riding with me, and lets face it you can only make a sport touring bike so comfortable.

Money is to tight to be buying a new machine.

So I Saw an add on Craigslist.

1988 and 1986 Yamaha venture royals

Both complete .

I have always liked the look of these have owned a few GW but have heard for the year these had good power.

1st question, are they comfortable for year?

Looks like it , back rest arm rest. Nice seat.

As the story goes both bikes were owned by the same older gent. He brought the 88 in and had the mechanic rebuild carburetors-the new owner -seller said there were valves in the trunk so maybe valve work.

1988 only has 48,000.

Gent didn't pay his bill so the new owner-now seller paid the bill and rode it home.

Then he was also offered the 86 and he rode it home. Don't know why that one was at shop.

So he says he really liked the color of the 86 so he started to remove the plastics from the 88 and then thought he would change carbs , but life got in the way and so now we have a 86 complete but have the plastics off and the 88 with just a few things off.

Doesn't make sense to me why not change the plastics to the lower mileage bike with carbs rebuilt.

Who knows.

I want to run the bike with 48,000

No pictures yet. But its not beat up, plastics on both bikes look good, minor scuffs.

looks like a good cleaning and some wrenching.

Throttle snaps right back (yah I know carbs will still need a cleaning )

Clutch has great pressure, as do brakes.

Makes me wonder though why he need the 86.

Anyhow I purchased them $500.00 did I do good. What can I expect from these old machines.

What do you think?

New owner......

If you got the pair for $500 you done real good on that part of it. Even if you paid $500 each it is not a bad deal.

Have you tried to start either one?

I would start working on whichever one currently runs the best, it should take the least amount of time and/or money to get on the road with, after all riding season is here now.

There is really no difference between an 86 and an 88 but the color and the VIN number.

And yes your fiancée is going to like that back seat, many have been known to take naps while riding back there.

Yes 500 for both

Silver one is all together with supposed rebuilt carbs.

Brown-back just has plastics removed , so looks a mess, and he left top cover off and now carbs have water in the top,

But he said he hasn't cracked the throated, so a carb removal and probably drain the oil.

I am worried about the 2nd gear issues .

Hope I don't get that. Well I will just have to fire them up and see what gives.

Marcarl already moved this thread for you.

You do not have to worry about the 2nd gear issue.

Yamaha fixed it in the middle of the 85 model year, so your 86 and 88 are fine.

If there was water in the carbs, pull the spark plugs before you try to turn it over just in case there is also water in a cylinder causing a hydro lock. Hydro lock will break connecting rods. If there was/is water in the engine, that one might be rough to fix.

Now we do have rules on this website.........

If there are no pictures, it didn't happen.

We love to look at bike pics.

:worthless:

We let you slide for a few hours already now......:rasberry: :stickpoke:

Picking up bikes Saturday so you will have to wait for pictures.

I can't wait to start wrenching.

As far as the water , not my first rodeo , I will remove water from. Carbs open up inspect. Remove plugs check engine for water in oil.

My hope is to get them both running, and see what one I like. Sell other .

Or just make one good one out of two.

I haven't told the fiancée yet I am going to surprise her .

Still think less miles is the better way to go and it supposed to have the rebuilt carbs.

Not knowing the mechanical abilities of a new member, it is always best to err on the side of too much info.

These carbs in most cases seem to clean up really well with just a good dose of SeaFoam in the gas tank.

How many miles does the other one have?

Welcome, as a new owner I would strongly suggest you download the Yamaha service manual for the 86 ~ 93 Venture from this forum page. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?3384-First-Gen-Service-Manuals

It is in PDF format and will assist you greatly in doing your own work on your bikes. Dont be afraid to ask question and as always, pictures are a big help in helping us help you.

Rick F.

Welcome Aboard, you have found the right place to be, lots of priceless experience here. My first suggestion would be to become a member...it will be the best $12 you'll spend on those Ventures (heck, if you download the manual you're already ahead by $40!).

Second thing I'd do (I'm currently resurrecting an '84) is evaluate the condition of your bike(s) and be ready to commit at least $1000 to getting it/them road worthy. Get a compression test so you'll have a base line to work from. Check the date codes on your tires and brake lines (tire codes can be found stamped on the side wall of your tire...3 digit code means tires were produced pre-2000 and they should be considered unsafe. The brake hoses should be stamped with a date, 9 out of 10 times they'll be original to the bike. Yamaha recommended replacement every 5 years...every 30 years {IMHO} is pushing that recommendation beyond the limits of safety....no matter what they look like).

Third, replace all filters and flush and refill all fluids.

Fourth, check and if necessary adjust valve clearances.

Fifth, get to cleaning those carbs and getting them adjusted.

Sixth, take breath and see how much of that $1000 you have left. The biggest thing to keep in mind is YOU'LL have to be the one doing the work! If you have this work done in a shop, you're price will likely triple and there is a less than 40% chance the work will be done completely and correctly. There are many very knowledgeably people on this site who'll selflessly walk you through every step of your resurrection project so you'll never be in over your head. Just take it slow, ask questions take pictures and heed the advise given....there will be no short-cuts to getting your bike to perform correctly, be safe, and reliable.

I would suggest you resist the temptation to just get it runnin' & ridin'. But if you do, make sure you invest in quality riding/safety gear (a good idea anyway), get a good roadside service policy/towing.

I appreciate the info and I am sure I will have questions.

Not completely familiar with this bike but I have purchased many bikes not running so I am very familiar with the time it takes and how to get them running , I have never taken a bike in except for tire changes.

Worked at a shop for a few.

Good , was thinking I might have to part out brown one.

That's the once he licensed, he said he liked the look better, who knows maybe it ran better.

Its all there though, with trailer hitch and all.

M__9849.jpg

So excited I am going to get them both running, so I will have one for sale.

Hey I was just noticing one says royal on trunk one doesn't?

Also I didn't see air lines on silver one.

Did they make theses without air ride ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99058[/ATTACH]

So excited I am going to get them both running, so I will have one for sale.

Hey I was just noticing one says royal on trunk one doesn't?

Also I didn't see air lines on silver one.

Did they make theses without air ride ?

Your 1988 is a Standard Venture, so no CLASS or factory audio, but it has an air adjustable suspension, just not adjustable with an on board compressor and CLASS controller.

What's the two VIN and build dates if I may?