IGNORED

Speaking about checking air pressures in our tires,, anyone else do this..

cowpuc

Something just popped into my head today as I was out reacquainting Tweeks with the feel of being saddled up again (felt good). We were cruising along on an open stretch of highway not far from our hideout, checking the over all "feel" of the bike.. I had checked both tire pressures last week and hadn't bothered to recheck them when we left the cave so I did my on-road method of pressure checking.. I watched for a crack in the road, noticed one and Tweeks and I arrowed it perfectly as I felt for that familiar "thump, thump" of two adequately pressurized rubber tires making contact with the wonderful open road..

These days of my life, I find myself doing this almost subconsitously when the three of us are out crossing the country.. I have actually lost count of the times this little trick has brought our travels to a convenient stop to stick in some air while traveling and was just wondering if anyone else does anything similar to this old school survival technique.... It is amazing what these old friends of ours will tell us if we listen carefully... :thumbsup:

I also can feel the tires if they are 2 or more psi low. If the Venture has been parked for a couple weeks, I ride the V-Strom to and from work more than the Venture, I can feel the tires are low as soon as I get on the road. I guess part of that may be the big difference in the two bikes showing through.

A motorcycle, like any machine, will "talk" to you and let you know what's going on. You just need to be "tuned" in to it, lol.

If you are used to the way it normally runs, any abnormal sounds or vibes will stand out. Learning what might be causing the strange sounds and vibes can be difficult at times.

Jimmy

Something just popped into my head today as I was out reacquainting Tweeks with the feel of being saddled up again (felt good). We were cruising along on an open stretch of highway not far from our hideout, checking the over all "feel" of the bike.. I had checked both tire pressures last week and hadn't bothered to recheck them when we left the cave so I did my on-road method of pressure checking.. I watched for a crack in the road, noticed one and Tweeks and I arrowed it perfectly as I felt for that familiar "thump, thump" of two adequately pressurized rubber tires making contact with the wonderful open road..

These days of my life, I find myself doing this almost subconsitously when the three of us are out crossing the country.. I have actually lost count of the times this little trick has brought our travels to a convenient stop to stick in some air while traveling and was just wondering if anyone else does anything similar to this old school survival technique.... It is amazing what these old friends of ours will tell us if we listen carefully... :thumbsup:

Geeze!! Thanks a lot..... Now I gotta go out and let 5# of air out of all my tires, and then go find a crack in order to know what they sound like compared to when they're topped off..... :nanner:

I normally check tire pressure with the bike on it's centerstand. This is just me wondering about something but, why doesn't the pressure vary when there is weight on the tires? I know the shock pressure will be higher if the bike is on it's sidestand vs the centerstand but the tires don't seem to vary or the change in pressure is so small that I don't see it. Inquiring minds want to know.

I run 38 lbs front and 40 lbs rear in my E3's.

For the tire pressure to go up when the bike weight is on the tire versus on the center stand, the volume of the tire has to decrease. If the pressure doesn't change, that means the volume of the tire is not decreasing and the shape of the tire is changing when weight is added but not decreasing the internal volume of the tire.

In the case of a shock, the internal volume is getting smaller when weight is added to the bike and therefore the pressure goes up.

I check my tyre pressures every six months whether they're feeling low or not.

Compared to 20 years ago, we're so spoilt....

I'm with you. Anybody who checks their tire pressure daily.........a) is just asking for arthritis or hemorrhoids or somethin.......or, b) has a permanent "kneeling pad" built into the floor near their rear tire.

I'm with you. Anybody who checks their tire pressure daily.........a) is just asking for arthritis or hemorrhoids or somethin.......or, b) has a permanent "kneeling pad" built into the floor near their rear tire.

You can check your rear tire pressure while kneeling down?

I have to put the bike on the center stand and then I have to lay down to check my rear tire.

Sometimes I have to take a nap while I'm laying there.....

I have to put the bike on the center stand and then I have to lay down to check my rear tire.

You're right.....THAT'S closer to the required routine!

Our bikes are a clear-cut justification for the invention of the automatic tire pressure monitoring system.

Anybody here using these caps.....that "might" make it a little less bothersome? http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Pressure-PSI-60-Monitor-Chrome/dp/B0047P6EJU/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1429297568&sr=1-5

:thumbsup::thumbsup::big-grin-emoticon::clap2:

Must be something to do with this water in Lake Michigan brother cause I am RIGHT THERE WITH YA JEFF!! Laying on the slab, wake up to Tippy kicking my leg and asking me what I am doing,, me replying "ohhhh,, just checking the air pressure on Tweeks rear tire dear:dancefool:".. Of course,, I feel kinda of funny when she starts laughing and I go to jump up and bump my head on the cross member of the car that I am changing oil on!! :hurts::thumbsup2:

i bought a tire pressure monitoring system a year ago. Love it !!!! gives me tire pressure after just a couple of rotations of the tire, usually just rolling it out of the garage is enough to send tire pressure to the digital monitor fastened on my tank bra, tells me instantly and i can monitor presser all day while riding. thought it was a little pricey at the time, but think its well worth it now!!!!!!:thumbsup: