IGNORED

Need suggestions. What bike should i get next.

Chaharly

Chaharly, I am resurrecting an 85 and will note a few items I have noticed different that the 85 has compared to the 83-84 and maybe the 86-93 models. Aside from some common differences like the forks and anti dive being the same from 83-85 and 86 -87 having electric front mount anti dive and 88-93 having side mount electric anti dive, the 83-84 tourpack being smaller than the 85-93, and the 83-85 being 1200 and 86-93 being 1300 . You will find little things different like 85 had the removable bags with the larger tourpak, one year only rear bag crash bars as the 83-84 are different and have the helmet locks on the side where the 85 has them on the rear beneath the tourpak. 1986-93 have fixed bags and a different rear bar setup, and 86-93 have a different muffler mount tab location than the 83-85 I am told. Gas tanks are different size cap and the gas lock on 83-84 is in the gas door but my 85 is larger and the cap itself locks. The key blanks are different and will not slide into each other, the venting check valve is in a different location and fuel catch (bib) is larger on the 85, the cruise light is in the tachometer on 84-85 models but on the handle bar cover on 86 and later models, unsure about 83 but I do know the 83 has a different cmu layout and clock location than 84-93 models. The choke on the controls is different in 85 from the 83-84 models. The 83-85 2 piston calipers, mounts, and internally vented rotors and from what I understand are the same in MKI but the MKII has a rear floating rotor, front solid rotors with cut outs for venting/cooling, 4 piston calipers all around, and larger bore master cylinders. I know the headlight design changed in the MKII but am unsure what year, quite possibly 86. The 1986 and later front crash bars have the tabs for the front lower fairing the 83-85 did not have. The optional drivers rear back rest mounts change with the model changes meaning 83-84, 86-93, 85 I am unsure as I ran 84 bars for me to use an 84 backrest but kept the 85 grab bars for the rear passenger as they were longer and easier for the passenger to grab. The antenna mounts are also different among the year changes. I am sure I missed a few things but these are the things I have noticed as I am building my franken bike but I am keeping it all yamaha. Maybe too much info. I believe it is correct if I am wrong someone will surely correct me. You most likely have read the second gear issue was remedied in 85 and there is a case marking that should tell you if an earlier bike was done as a recall. I have learned a lot form this forum and its members but alot of what I mention are things I have personally noted as I have torn down these model parts bikes to build mine the way that I want. It is cheaper to buy one and enjoy but if you are going to build then build it the way you feel you will enjoy and or make use of it the most, it might cost more but it is built your way. Good luck.

Edited by Brenner

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's almost correct.

The big Harley tourers ( the Ultra Glide for example) has very little vibration (that you feel) and only at idle. From that point on, they are as smooth as any 4 cyl I've ever ridden with exception of a Wing (the older ones) although I've never ridden a BMW. On top of that, they are now partly liquid cooled (some models).

So ya, one could almost say they don't vibrate and they aren't air cooled :Bunny:

Water Cooled? You must be talking about the engine Harley got Porsche to design for them, the V-rod.

When I worked in Crystal River FL back in 08, I wanted to rent a Harley just to see what I thought about it. the dealer wanted $150/day to rent it. I would have paid that but I could have rented a reeaally nice car for that money. But the real deal killer was that they put a $2500 hold on your credit card and if you dropped it they could charge up to that amount to repair. I'm a little slow sometimes, but I ain't that stupid!

I have liked the Vision ever since I rode it. They are spacy looking. (get it Jetson-spacy) The tranys are kind of clunky, but so are the Milwaukee bikes. But you are looking under like 5k, so you aint finding no vision. For that price you will find some v92 king pins and the like. Good bikes but be aware the early ones had a 3rd gear problem. It was corrected by like 2001 production I think. The older Voyagers and Connies are stellar touring bikes from hat I have heard. The Nomads are decent and not alot of vibration I think. You got time on your side. Also cash spends allday anywhere.

I bought a 2004 Kawasaki Concours that had 20k miles on it for $3k back in 2010 when I was working in Homestead, FL. It was a nice bike, had a 7.5 gallon gas tank, 1000cc 4cyl engine. The fairing and windshield provided excellent protection from the wind and elements. It comes with hard saddlebags and you can buy trunks that are designed to fit the bike. That large tank contributed to it being very top heavy. I had not ridden much in many years so was rusty and old. I dropped it twice. The fact of being top heavy and the slight leaning forward riding position was not to my liking. Other than that it's the best value in motorcycling in my opinion. I rode it a couple thousand miles in the almost 2 years I owned it. After dropping it on my foot the second time and pinning my foot breaking my second metatarsal. That combined with my age and sitting at a computer all day caused blood clots in my lower leg and I had to take blood thinners for 4 months. Soo, my wife told me I had to get rid of that dang bike. So, I did and kept the 85 ZN700. It took me a long time to sell it. They are not that expensive to buy I think because of it being top heavy.

My opinion is worthless since. Well since I wrecked my Venture. The insurance company paid me off. So I went shopping for a new bike cash in hand. I came home with another Venture. Nothing else felt quite right.

Mike

I think that an opinion like yours is what he is looking for.

You know what you like and went and bought what you like.

The best bike is the bike you like!!!

I am not really sure what happened during the 85 model year,, I am SURE one of these guy who actually owns or has owned one can attest.. The reason that I didnt include the 85 was that I thought it was the year that they went to the bigger bags and trunk - the MK2 1st Gen look so to speak? I might have made a mistake in just putting 83/84 in my response CJ..

One of the really really great things I have come to enjoy and appreciate about the MK1's are the smaller bags and the smaller trunk.. I know that MANY people prefer the added space but,, I personally have always enjoyed the more "sport touring" look of the smaller bags.. I also REALLY like the ease of getting a back tire off and on with the smaller bagged MK1.. Yes, you do have to smack the right bag pretty good sometimes to get it to slide off once you unlock it (not that bad once you get the hang of it) but - its a whole lot better than having to unbolt stuff..

A HUGE issue that I might add here has to do with the seat, rider backrest, seating position.. Having ridden many many miles on the 83/84's, it always intrigued me at how comfortable these bikes are.. For some reason,, the seat always had a special feel to it.. I have owned lots of bikes thru the years, including early Wings (several up to an 86 Interstate), Kaw Voyager 2's (gotta remember to mention those - AWESOME BIKES).. I have found NOTHING that saddles like the 83/84.. I have an 87 parts bike that may very well become a Tweeks.. I will gladly let you know if it has that same seat feel as the 83/84 for long distance touring BUT,, Tippy and I have toyed around a little with it and found it to not quite be the same.. I did find out after many miles and many years of owning the 83/84's that the seats, bars and seating positions on them were created by an Orthopedic Dr. or something,, when I found that out I shook my head and told Tippy - THAT makes sense!!

Ok, the Kawasaki Voyager 2,, this is NOT the early 1300 6 cylinder fuel injected - Kaw had LOTS of problems with that.. This is the 4 cylinder Voyager 2 - think it was made from 86 till like 03.. WOW!! NICE BIKE!! I redid one (long story but awesome deal!!) a number of years ago.. When I finally got it back on its feet, Tip and I spent a few days on it.. Had the same numbers (HP/TRQ) as our 1st Gens but totally different in its delivery.. I was AMAZED at the MPG this thing got - we actually saw 62 MPG running 55 on the back roads! Guy I got it from (neighbor) said he always got better than 50 with it!! Overall, a truely remarkable bike all the way around!! I also had a few more of them that I had taken in.. The first one was a 37k bike, highest mileage one I had was 120k - still ran and rode like new..

Couple of things,, I know from experience,, a huge issue for me was how low and scrunched I was on the bike.. I am spoiled with being able to stretch out on my 1st Gens - the Voy didnt offer that for me.. If I were shorter, I would ride one!! I had a silver,, 01 I think it was,, that the previous owner had suffered the same issue - he was about my height (6' 1").. He had gone to the trouble of extending the drivers footrests down by about an inch and a half.. This took a LOT of work on his part.. He found out that the Voy does not have the ground clearance needed to accept this mod and still be fairly good in the corners (I scrapped em right away just playing on our road during pre trade test drive.. Just (IMHO) something you should look at if you find yourself thinking of this gorgeous bike.. Oh yea,, one of the guys at Raggies Meet n Greet last has one - who the heck was that,, talk with him a LOT about it too,, oh well - if your interested in one you could ask on VR and I am sure we could find him and he would be more than willing to tell ya all he knows!!

Seems like, as with most first year models of anything,, the 86 Voy had an issue with the TCI - ignition module.. Like Kawi didnt have the timing curve set up just right for start up and they had a problem with them snapping starter motor chains.. They did provide an upgraded module that solved that.. I also ran across a Voy 2 on the road a number of years ago with rear gear problems (bike had a lot of miles on it) - dont think this is an over all issue though..

I got my first one from my neighbor.. He had snagged the oil filter cover on his trailer way back in 89, ripped the guts right out of the internals, let it set for over 20 years!! I got it CHEAP, tore it apart, bought a new bracket that the oil pump mounts on (sets between the tranny and the forward gear) BRAND NEW from Kawi - all parts still available and CHEAP - 65 bucks for the bracket.. Rebuilt the carbs, prelubed the top end and did it RUN!! My neighbor, who is 5' 6", had JUST bought a new Harley Ultra Limited 2 days before I fired the Voy up for its first ride in over 20 years.. He came over, took the Voy out for a ride, came back with the sickest look on his face.. He said , I could have had a bike that actually feels like it was made for me and saved myself 25 thousand dollars :Im not listening to

I keep typing here thinking I can pull the guys name who had that Voyager 2 at Raggies,, dog gone it,, oh well,, I guess I better post this and let Raggie, Bongo, Buckshot, ,Billmac, Habfan, Carbon One or one of those other guys who were there show off the better memories... Ratsssssssssssss

Puc, that was JRichard from Virginia. He's had several of the Voyagers and loves those bikes. We've done several long rides together and the only problem I've seen him have was a failed battery not energizing the headlight relay, a new battery fixed that.

Puc, that was JRichard from Virginia. He's had several of the Voyagers and loves those bikes. We've done several long rides together and the only problem I've seen him have was a failed battery not energizing the headlight relay, a new battery fixed that.

Took a while but I just remembered the guy on VR who rides that gorgeous Voyager,, it was JRichard.. As I recall, he is from Virginia.. :big-grin-emoticon:

That Raggie,, he sure likes to show off his vivid memory collector thingy:missingtooth:

Hey,, JRichard,, sorry I couldnt pull it brother - sucks having a leak in the beaner!!

DSCN5587.JPG

Well I think I have my heart set on another 85 Venture Royale. Some of you guys might even remember when I had that bike when I first joined when I was like 17.

I think it'll make the bank happy if I get a cheaper bike plus I never did feel like my RSV was quite the bike my 85 was. I got rid of it because of the second gear started having issues and I've regretted it since.

But im gonna test drive some bikes and see if I can't find something that I really like.

Well I think I have my heart set on another 85 Venture Royale. Some of you guys might even remember when I had that bike when I first joined when I was like 17.

I think it'll make the bank happy if I get a cheaper bike plus I never did feel like my RSV was quite the bike my 85 was. I got rid of it because of the second gear started having issues and I've regretted it since.

But im gonna test drive some bikes and see if I can't find something that I really like.

Tahhhhhhhhh Dahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! 1985 Yamaha venture

No idea where or what a Yakima is BUT,, this thing is gorgeous! CJ,, did I ever tell you that I love bikes and love being involved with procuring, riding, talking about, working on,, heck - even having them talk to me.. Sorry about your mishap but thanks for taking us along on the journey of watching you find your next bike!!

hope I dont poison the water hole and get us both in trouble for stickin the Craigs ad on here, shhhhhhhh:ignore:

Hey,, look at that Don,, I got all that funny writing in front of the smilie I was trying to get.. :essen_024:

Tahhhhhhhhh Dahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! 1985 Yamaha venture

No idea where or what a Yakima is BUT,, this thing is gorgeous! CJ,, did I ever tell you that I love bikes and love being involved with procuring, riding, talking about, working on,, heck - even having them talk to me.. Sorry about your mishap but thanks for taking us along on the journey of watching you find your next bike!!

hope I dont poison the water hole and get us both in trouble for stickin the Craigs ad on here, shhhhhhhh:ignore:

Hey,, look at that Don,, I got all that funny writing in front of the smilie I was trying to get.. :essen_024:

Oh boy you're REALLY pushing buttons today huh? Lol I sure do hope this admins are forgiving today lol

Oh boy you're REALLY pushing buttons today huh? Lol I sure do hope this admins are forgiving today lol

Yeah I was gonna say that that looked like a typo. My 85 has the removable bags. Same color though and in great shape. I don't however know when I'm going to get the insurance check in

Yeah I was gonna say that that looked like a typo. My 85 has the removable bags. Same color though and in great shape. I don't however know when I'm going to get the insurance check in

Hey Charharly,

I sure hope you are getting the information you need that will help you decide what type of bike you should get next out of all this. :rotf:...:stickpoke:

I feel like I'm more confused now than ever hahaha.

Seeeeee,, THAT is the reason why I didnt include the 85's in my thesis!! I am not so sure that maybe some 85's looked like 84's and some looked like 86's... What da heck I say,, what da heck...

So is it just me puc or does the V 4 just feel better in a 1200cc