IGNORED

Tire Age Question

I bought a set of E3 tires for my baby in March 2011 from Jake Wilson just after I brought my new to me bike home from South Carolina. She came with Michelin Commanders on her and after riding her for a while I left them on and left the E3's on the shelf in the garage.

Now it's time for a tire change, have a nail in the middle of my pretty worn out front Commander. I haven't even opened the packaging on the E3's yet to get to the date code, but given they are at least 3 years old, what are your opinions on putting them on the bike now. The prices have gone up considerably since I bought them and if I can avoid buying a new set I sure would like to.

I'm in Massachusetts so the tires have seen summer temps in the garage in the high 90's to low 100's and winter temps in the teens to single digits. Not sure how this is going to affect them.

Thanks for your input, as always, you guys are the best.

Opinions here will likely vary... but mine is.. inspect them closely. If you see no signs of sidewall cracking... I would use them. As I understand... the biggest enemy to rubber is UV rays. Being these were stored in the garage, I suspect they may be just fine. I'd use them.

If the date code is less than 5 years old I would use them. It s recommended to not run tires more than 6 years old. 90 -100° is not an issue. They get a lot hotter than that in normal use. Temps in the teens is also not an issue. Up here mine have seen temps while parked in the shed range from -20°F up to 140°F, with so signs of cracking or other issues.

The only issue you may have is if they have been laying on their side all that time they may have flattened out some and you may have to work a little harder to get the bead to seat. As soon as they get up to pressure they will take on their designed shape and be just fine.

The tire industry highly recommends NOT to use any tire older than 6 years old. There was a scandal several years back about tires that were older than 6 years old being sold new that resulted in serious and even fatal accidents.

Chances are if you bought them in 2011 they were most likely made in 2010 so you should be good to go...

I would run them. Just keep an eye on them. Look for cracks very small around the rim and in the tread where it meets the casing. Thats it! If they do not crack up don't worry. My X GF had some Chinkonohama tires on her 2004 Honda Shadow and the dawg gone things look new to this day. I have no idea why. Id leave for the other coast on em.

A lot of the recommendations of course is to sell tires and cover their behinds. Mount em!

I second the UV ray thing. That is the most damaging. And parking one cement and pavement. Try to park on wood pads. And raise the tires in the off season.

The tire industry highly recommends NOT to use any tire older than 6 years old. There was a scandal several years back about tires that were older than 6 years old being sold new that resulted in serious and even fatal accidents.

Chances are if you bought them in 2011 they were most likely made in 2010 so you should be good to go...

I wonder if that's all tire manufacture hype?? Kinda like helmet hype about replacing them over 5 years old.... Helps sell tires and helmets?? I rode a rear EII that was on the '83VR to Ft Collins and back, and it was at least 15 years old. I thought about replacing it before the trip because the tread looked a little thin, but after posting pics here on the board the general consensus was Run 'Em... The front had an Avon Venom, and it also did fine...this time... :) These MC tires are built to take a beating, and I don't think a few years storage, even with a 5+ date, is going to hurt them any.

I wonder if that's all tire manufacture hype?? Kinda like helmet hype about replacing them over 5 years old.... Helps sell tires and helmets?? I rode a rear EII that was on the '83VR to Ft Collins and back, and it was at least 15 years old. I thought about replacing it before the trip because the tread looked a little thin, but after posting pics here on the board the general consensus was Run 'Em... The front had an Avon Venom, and it also did fine...this time... :) These MC tires are built to take a beating, and I don't think a few years storage, even with a 5+ date, is going to hurt them any.

Dunlop told me NO tire should be used beyond 7 years of date code on a motorcycle. Everyone will have an opinion.

Ditto to what Bob Said. I bought a set from a catalog (Dennis kirk)that were 8 years old. They wouldn't pass inspection the next year because of dry rot. Luckily the manufacturer sent me new set for free. Dennis Kirk offered me nothing! At 3 years those tires should be fine.

Jack, that applies to ALL manufacturers and came out of a 20/20 news investigation...

In 2009, I bought my 85 Kawasaki ZN700 that only had 1k miles on it. The original tires look like new. The bike had been stored in a barn in Wisconsin. I rode it several hundred miles before replacing them. They are not cracked and look great. The replacements I bought from Motorcycle Superstore were Metzler lazertecs. the rear was 5 yrs old when it came. It looks great and is still on the bike. I think the age of tires means less than some believe. I'm sure the tire manufacturers don't want to get sued and recommend on the conservative side.

You need to ride more.........just my opinion:confused24:

I agree, can I forward my mortgage bills to you for the next couple months? That sure would free up so saddle time for the wife and I!!!

Again, thanks to everyone for chiming in, I really appreciate the advice you guys provide. I've learned a lot and have done a lot of my own work because of this forum!

I wonder if that's all tire manufacture hype?? Kinda like helmet hype about replacing them over 5 years old.... Helps sell tires and helmets??

I think that is very true. Especially with the helmets. Some people who ride a lot in hotter climates can wear out a helmet in just a few years just from them getting nasty. But I don't buy into the crap that helmets can 'time out'. My wife rarely sweats and has a 10 year old helmet that looks like brand new inside and out. Great way to sell helmets IMHO.. It ranks right up there with the advertising trick that helped increase shampoo sales by adding one simple word to the instructions. Repeat. I do think it is prudent to inspect under the liner for any styrofoam deterioration occasionally... but trashing a perfectly good helmet just because it hits some manufacture magical date makes no sense unless you own their stock. YMMV

If the date code is less than 5 years old I would use them. It s recommended to not run tires more than 6 years old. 90 -100° is not an issue. They get a lot hotter than that in normal use. Temps in the teens is also not an issue. Up here mine have seen temps while parked in the shed range from -20°F up to 140°F, with so signs of cracking or other issues.

The only issue you may have is if they have been laying on their side all that time they may have flattened out some and you may have to work a little harder to get the bead to seat. As soon as they get up to pressure they will take on their designed shape and be just fine.

2nd that, if you don't put the mileage on then insist on newly manufactured tires

You need to ride more.........just my opinion:confused24:

You are correct Sir!

I thought I was retired last August and started riding more but then took another job. It's 4 1/2 hrs from home and 4 10s. So, I drive home Thursday night for an almost 3 day weekend but then I'm busy doing lots of other stuff. When this job ends I'm retired for good!!!