IGNORED

My New Highway Light Alternative

Instead of the OEM driving lights, I decided to go this route: Ran the fused supply line under the left side of the tank and used an LED switch. It is not tied into my ignition. Pictures are daytime.

Edited by ENG2242
Clarify

Well being as we like our extras, now we need to know what they are, where they came from and how much were they? I keep thinking of some way to mount some extra lights down like off the bolt that holds the leg cowell on. I have a couple ideas but kind of depends on what is available for brackets.

I purchased them at Amazon:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LLHJNEU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: RioRand® 4" 18W 6 CREE LED SUV Off-road Boat Headlight Spot Driving Fog Light + Mounting Bracket(2pcs 4" 18W): Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51f0vqIO12L.@@AMEPARAM@@51f0vqIO12L[/ame]

I drilled out the top mounting hole for the clear plastic shields to accommodate the mounting bracket. I did purchase a shorter 8mmX1.25 bolt with a self locking nut so it would not hit the chrome. Also, put a small bead of silicone behind the bracket in the event it would move after the mount on rough roads. Surprisingly easy and no bounce what so ever, very solid. Then simply ran the fused supply wire under the left side of the tank and finished the final wiring under the plastic cover on top of the tank. You can mount the switch anywhere you like. I did not integrate it with the ignition. I aimed the light just above the low beam light. The fit and finish is clean and it is bright as heck at night and day. David

Edited by ENG2242
Response Change

Any one can follow the heard.

I fully understand wanting to be different. I have never seen another venture quite like mine.

Can you post some night pics of the beam pattern on a wall.

They call then spot driving fog lamps.

Spot driving is a narrow beam for lighting up distance down the road, and Fog lights have a very wide beam with a sharp top cutoff to light up the sides of the road to see deer coming but keep the beam low to avoid glare in the fog.

I am after some very bright fog lights. These sure do look like they have the bright part down.

Yes sir, they do have a diffuse pattern. Perfect for seeing deer or objects on or to both sides of the road. Not a spot pattern!! The other gentleman, I described how I mounted them if you scroll down below the picture. If that's not descript, pm me and I will call you. I am on duty, so please give me time if we catch a fire.

I purchased them at Amazon:

I drilled out the top mounting hole for the clear plastic shields to accommodate the mounting bracket. I did purchase a short 8mmX1.25 bolt with a self locking nut so it would not hit the chrome. Also, put a small bead of silicone behind the bracket in the event it would move after the mount on rough roads. Surprisingly easy and no bounce what so ever, very solid. Then simply ran the wires under the plastic cover on top of the tank. You can mount the switch anywhere you like. I aimed it just above the low beam light. The fit and finish is clean and it is bright as heck at night and day. David

Here's his description of mounting.

When I get in an area that provides the difference, I will see if I can get an adequate picture. Really, they are just bright LEDs with a diffuse pattern. They do help a lot at night and definitely add visibility during the day. Of course, there are brighter and better out there. However, for the price and ease of mounting, these do a darn good job. David

Got me to thinking about adding some additional lights. Since I will not pay the $200 for the trucklite jobs it looks as though I may go with down on the forks by fender mout. [ame=http://www.ebay.com/itm/251597323737?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=550498856203&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT]Waterproof Motorcycle 12V 30W CREE U2 LED Fog Spot Head Light Working Lamp | eBay[/ame].