IGNORED

Adventures in 2nd Gear-Land Big Red is back!

yamagrl

It was a huge success!

IMG_20140805_114319856_HDR.jpg

To start off with, only 2 years years ago I barely knew the difference between a Crescent Wrench and a Crescent Roll! My first postings were "What is Seafoam? and "How do I get it on the centerstand?"

Although, I started the second gear project in early June, I actually only have about 3 weeks involved. I did spend copious time in research and about $800 total. That includes, tools engine stand, etc. I have put about 225 miles on it since reassembly and the transmission is perfect. Thanks Randy.

The absolute hardest thing was getting the engine remounted. Pretty good for 2 women with a combined age of 119 years. Pretty good huh?

However, it was spitting and sputtering a little beginning at about 2800 rpms. and would pretty much be back to normal around 5000. I also noticed that by enrichening the fuel mixture by finessing the choke a little, the sputtering would stop. Because of the rpm range, I'm guessing it has something to do with the main jets and that circuit. So... I put Big Red back on the lift, removed the fairings and slid the carbs back out. And yes... I need diaphrams, but I cannot afford them right now and they are easy to get at. So I'm doing the "Plasti-Dip spray trick" for now.

IMG_20140808_190905383.jpg

They are completely disassembled and I'll reassemble this weekend.

I also made several improvements and repairs

1. Fixed all of the broken tabs

IMG_20140804_095321181.jpg

2. Replaced the fuse block

IMG_20140804_221348928_HDR.jpg

3. Lowered the battery box 3/4 of an inch. Now the cover fits on the fuse block.

IMG_20140731_212947940.jpg

4. I removed the yellowed clear coat from the covers, valve covers waterpump etc. and removed the chrome from the clutch and stator cover plates, polished with jeweler's rouge and clear coated with KBS Diamond Finish

IMG_20140729_202102946.jpgfDIloVrjXaNCU6yYrjXnWUANLjsCRrgkxIQC5tZqSYM=s197-p-noTDwRTZ7FyhoOTqt4tJoBQ5J82aD888IdIvG5YCtvWAA=s197-p-no

5. Cut open the exhaust chamber, removed the loose stuff and had it rewelded.(no pics)

6.Replaced electrical quick disconnect to the pickup coils. (no pic)

7. Upgraded the shift segment to the new style (no pic)

Stood around looking at the motor hanging from the chain hoist. Still in total disbelief.

IMG_20140717_190309304.jpg

Edited by yamagrl

I was just getting ready to send you a PM or call you and see how it is going. I have to say that you have a beautiful bike and I am so impressed with what you have accomplished. I am so glad I could help out and really enjoyed our conversations.

As you may have seen, I also was able to get my 83 back on the road with the 2nd gen transmission in and I am pretty happy with the results. I hope to get this engine running as good as the old one did.

Now, are you ready for a road trip where we can admire the bike it person? We would love to see you in Asheville next week.

RandyA

I would love to be there but I simply can't go this time. I may be heading through your way on the way up to DC in Sept. I do not know if we'll fly, drive or ride.

I figured some of you guys would be wondering what was going on. I need to email Damon and update him also. Gary if you talk to him, tell him things are developing nicely.

Ya know,, I aint gonna embarrass myself by hitting that little emotion icon thingy and rob you of that which you have totally earned YamaGrl,, nope,, instead,, let me put it this way:

YAMAGRL - YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!

I humbly tip my hat to you on your accomplishment!! Well done!!

Puc

WOW!! Now that you have almost ruined it i'll give you 100 bucks for it!!!! LOL You know I'm kidding. Great job. I have one planned and hope I can get into the detail you did. Pics of those carbs are nice. You will Sea-Foam it when back togather? Go to Wally World and get a can of BerryMan's Chem Tech and give it a 1/2 can in the 1st tank. It is a little stronger than Sea-Foam and I don't like to use a lot of it or very often. I soaked rubber pieces in it for a week and they were tacky to the touch. But us it to get those tight places in there shining and then keep a little Se-Foam now and then. That thing is a beauty!!! Not many would have tried that and fewer would have gotten the results you did!! CONGRATS!!! I think you are qualified to sit with the Wrenches!!

Actually I completely disassembled and soaked in Berrymans Chem Dip. I am using new carb kits but using the existing jets, choke, air cutoff and unfortunately the diaphragms which I did the Plastic Dip spray trick. I hope they'll work for a few months.

AS a retired wrench I'll tip my hat to you as well. Like the guys have said Congratulations on tackling a job many would not even attempt to do let alone do all of the detailing you've done getting that bike so gorgeous.

Wishing you many happy and trouble free miles on "Big Red".

Larry

Sounds good!! I should have known better than trying to give advice to a Pro!!! I think you got it. I'm getting away from the Sea-Foam as much as I used to use it because of the price of the stuff now. Marvel Mystery Oil will keep a system as good as the Sea-Foam if it is clean to start with. Would love to see that thing.

That is awesome.

What a great site this is. I just read a post from someone asking about doing their 1st ever oil change on any vehicle period! Then I read this!

The common factor is how other's inspire and assist with knowledge and advise to help out each other.

My ride is no where near requiring this kind of work yet and I've got to admit, I would NEVER have dreamed about attempting something like this. Yamagrl (Heather) you have not only done a great job on your ride but I'm sure inspired other's to at least try and challenge themselves a little more! :sign outstanding:

Sounds good!! I should have known better than trying to give advice to a Pro!!! I think you got it. I'm getting away from the Sea-Foam as much as I used to use it because of the price of the stuff now. Marvel Mystery Oil will keep a system as good as the Sea-Foam if it is clean to start with. Would love to see that thing.

1oz of pure mineral spirits per gal will do. Several years ago I read on an STP Gas Treatment the contents listed mineral spirits and nothing else. I have not looked lately.

Also Startron Enzyme gas treatment is the best thing for alcohol issues/water. I used it in our 650 which mostly sat after I bought big red in Oct 2012 and it started EVERY time, same tank of gas for a year and a half. The last time I bought it in the boating section in WallyWorld. It's very concentrated and 8 oz bottle for $8.99 treats 128 gallons. You only use 1/16 oz per gal that's 1/4 oz per 4 gal fill up. I just give it a small quirt. The instructions say that it doesn't hurt if you add more, it's just wasteful. I suppose you could blend it with 1 oz of mineral spirits and render an easier product to measure out and get the benefits of the mineral spirits as well.

Seafoam is cheaper at Lowes. and if you are military 10% off. If not use Lowes Credit Card 5% off.

UitwGcP3XvSZWAMhBZAVjFs6mh6NAPW3_E-3WF2N9VA=s199-p-no

I get the 10 per cent at Lowe's but didn't even know they kept Sea-Foam. I buy a gallon every spring when Tractor Supply put it on sale. And I have the Startron on the shelf. I went thru a nightmare a few yrs back with a dirty fuel system and learned a lot. P O had just spent 600 bucks on a carb rebuild. I learned from that one and did a lot of playing with all kinds of cleaners. I don't use Sea-Foam as much as I did. I mix my own cleaner and it works although I was called Stupid for doing so. Keeping these systems clean eliminates a bunch of problem with these things. I had read about the Mineral spirits but hadn't got around to that one. Marvel Mystery Oil is a Great old one that won't break the bank.

• 1 month later...