IGNORED

Unplanned Venture - road trip

Ed S, SE Nebr

Some of you may recall my tale of the 88 VR I bought at an auction a couple of months ago for not very much money. I had no intention of buying a bike that day, especially one which may or may not work. But...

After a battery and clutch cylinder work I was able to take a short ride. I determined it needed at least a brake mc rebuild.

Then, I had to do some farming. I call it farming - just a few acres of brome grass to put up. But since my equipment is old it takes as much time fixing as it does running.

Well, I got the brakes working; got it insured, then titled and licensed on Friday. Saturday I took it out.

First stop was back to the auction house where I bought it. They were having a sale so I got to show it off.

Then I needed to find something to do. My wife had gone to Lincoln with a friend, so I drove there. First stop was to send her a pic of me in front of the new Pinnacle Bank Arena. Turns out they were across the street.

So we decided to have lunch. Our son who's in college there came downtown and joined us.

Had a great burger with some ice water to drink.

After that I was looking for something else to do, and figured I really should have a beer. What better place than on the Missouri Riverfront in Omaha? That's the Omaha skyline over the bike in the next pic.

My wife was a bit jealous, so when I got home we took another trip to get a burrito at the taco truck a town over.

Sunday came around and after catching up with some garden work, picking some beans and tomatoes, while my wife and our youngest daughter went shopping for her return to college, I figured our oldest daughter, who's in college in Kearney, needed some fresh veggies. So I made that delivery.

And stopped in at the Archway monument just outside of Kearney.

If anyone's been through Nebraska on any of the East/West roads, you've seen the billboards for Pioneer Village in Minden. I've now given you the view from the parking lot.

A couple hours home. An itchy butt, and there's 550+ miles showing on my trip meter.

That's a great weekend.

And thanks to VR folks for helping to make it possible.

eds

Eds - OUTSTANDING!!! :thumbsup::clap2::clap2:

Loved the story and totally enjoyed you following the unspoken rule of providing pics for us! Thank you for picking up that gorgeous old bike and now treating it to the life it so longed for - to be ridden!!!

Hope to see you on the road in the future, we get out that way once in a while and those pics sure brought back some great memories.. Years ago my daughter and I spent a 4th of July in Minden on our way back from a west coast bike trip and found the down to earth farm folk out there to be some of the nicest people on the planet!!

Thanks for posting!!

Puc

Ohhhhh you are in BIG trouble now.:backinmyday: You have been bit and there is no cure. As a matter of fact this is a disease for which there is not only no cure :no-no-no: but it tends to progress. Sometimes rapidly and sometimes in a more subtle manner.:confused24: Some of the symptoms are a wanderlust look in the eyes:starz: detected by almost everyone around you except yourself and a slow weight gain:fatsmiley: as you begin to attend more and more meet and greats. Next you begin to form friendships with some of the strangest but nicest people around. Which of course contributes to a more rapid progression of the 1st two symptoms. Let me be the first to say I feel sorry for you and since misery always loves company hope to see you at one of our events some day. :hurts:

The meet and greets are not so bad for symptom 2, it is the meet and EATS that will get you.

There is also a small quirk in these Ventures that you will probably soon discover. The engine always seem to shut off in front of every Dairy Queen, and many other ice cream stands. But this is a good thing since it give any 2nd gens or Harleys that you are riding with a chance to catch up. This also seem to help alleviate the pain of symptom #2.

Great story and pictures!

Only problem for me is I'm lactose intolerant...if my 89VR stops in front of a DQ...I'm in big trouble! :whistling:

Thats OK, I'm sure one of your buddies will make the supreme sacrifice and help you get rid of that ice cream that you had to buy.:essen_018::fatsmiley:

Good to see some comments showing you enjoyed the story.

Saturday was a long day, over 12 hours from leaving in the morning to parking that night. I had to talk myself into Sunday's trip.

But, I'm glad I did.

I can still feel the grin across my face on Sunday as I tapped her into gear, the clutch started engaging, and I felt that torque pulling me away from my shop.

What a feeling! I think I might just be infected.

So here's a question for some of you with lots of Venture history:

What 's the remedy for that feeling of "just not enough" when you are leaving a stop sign and really grab a handful of throttle and are accelerating through 70 as you shift out of 2nd.

And then you have to shut her off cuz you just aren't in a place where you can do what you want to do.

But, you have three more gears...

Do you know what I'm talking about?

eds

What 's the remedy for that feeling of "just not enough" when you are leaving a stop sign and really grab a handful of throttle and are accelerating through 70 as you shift out of 2nd.

And then you have to shut her off cuz you just aren't in a place where you can do what you want to do.

eds

I know that feeling well. There are a few roads around here that I know of where there are no speed limit signs posted and they are not patrolled and no cross streets for someone to pull out of. This is where I tend to work on trying to relive that feeling at least I can be over 100 as I shift out of third. I am not sure if the bike has enough horse power to red line 4th and definitely not 5th. My jewels are a bit to small to find out if 4th will red line.:whistling:

Saturday was a long day, over 12 hours from leaving in the morning to parking that night. I had to talk myself into Sunday's trip.

But, I'm glad I did.

I can still feel the grin across my face on Sunday as I tapped her into gear, the clutch started engaging, and I felt that torque pulling me away from my shop.

eds

Oh yea,, I know EXACTLY what your saying Eds!! Here is short vid of something that helped me over come that "feeling" while touring out west a couple years ago.. Funny thing is,,, your not that far away from the location!!:cool10:

Oh yea,, I know EXACTLY what your saying Eds!! Here is short vid of something that helped me over come that "feeling" while touring out west a couple years ago.. Funny thing is,,, your not that far away from the location!!:cool10:

Gee Puc i guess it never dawned on you to unload all that cargo to see how fast you could really go, or were you just trying not to make the Harleys in the area not feel too rally bad?

Gee Puc i guess it never dawned on you to unload all that cargo to see how fast you could really go, or were you just trying not to make the Harleys in the area not feel too rally bad?

Bonneville Speedway always see's stripped down stuff,, I thought I would treat it to the true test of running as is.. :cool10: There was a bunch of folks with motorhomes back by the entrance onto the salt.. I tried to get them to join me for a "campers on ice" (that salt sure looks like ice) race but no one would join me.. THAT would have made a great video!!!

Ohhhhh you are in BIG trouble now.:backinmyday: You have been bit and there is no cure. As a matter of fact this is a disease for which there is not only no cure :no-no-no: but it tends to progress. Sometimes rapidly and sometimes in a more subtle manner.:confused24: Some of the symptoms are a wanderlust look in the eyes:starz: detected by almost everyone around you except yourself and a slow weight gain:fatsmiley: as you begin to attend more and more meet and greats. Next you begin to form friendships with some of the strangest but nicest people around. Which of course contributes to a more rapid progression of the 1st two symptoms. Let me be the first to say I feel sorry for you and since misery always loves company hope to see you at one of our events some day. :hurts:

The meet and greets are not so bad for symptom 2, it is the meet and EATS that will get you.

There is also a small quirk in these Ventures that you will probably soon discover. The engine always seem to shut off in front of every Dairy Queen, and many other ice cream stands. But this is a good thing since it give any 2nd gens or Harleys that you are riding with a chance to catch up. This also seem to help alleviate the pain of symptom #2.

Thats OK, I'm sure one of your buddies will make the supreme sacrifice and help you get rid of that ice cream that you had to buy.:essen_018::fatsmiley:

But, I'm glad I did.

eds

I know that feeling well. There are a few roads around here that I know of where there are no speed limit signs posted and they are not patrolled and no cross streets for someone to pull out of. This is where I tend to work on trying to relive that feeling at least I can be over 100 as I shift out of third. I am not sure if the bike has enough horse power to red line 4th and definitely not 5th. My jewels are a bit to small to find out if 4th will red line.:whistling:

Just thinking out loud here so dont no body get all poochy lipped on me..

I wonder if we oughta start having stated levels of mannerisms for Meet and Greets and Rallys, especially for new comers on the sight..

Sometimes I think we scare off potential victi,, I mean new family members by making it sound like they might come back to camp and find others people clothes hanging on their clothes lines, a gas tank or seat missing or someone might snitch their ice cream or something..

We could make it as simple as appointing a site Santee Clause (knows who's naughty and nice) and the new comer would receive a list of folks to steer clear of until they got acclimated.. I nominate YammerDan for this position, he knows everyone but himself..

Or, we could provide a rating system for all Rallys and Meet/Greet/Eats that the new comers could go by to allow themselves time to get corru,,, I mean used to some of you guys.. They could choose a prospective Rally from one of 3 categories:

Level 1 = a select few VR Members trained in thoughtfulness, kindness, gentleness, sincerity, good table manners, capable of not stretching the truth, good body hygiene, proper attire, paid up in their VR dues and polished bikes..

Level 2 = straight shooters, good with directions,, semi clean bikes, good body hygiene, prone to not stretching the truth but more leeway for embelishment, willing to abide by level 1 standards if necessary..

Level 3 = a highly combustible mixture of couples, singles, pirates, old bikers, new bikers, scalleywags, 2nd Gen riders wishing they owned the faster 1st Gens, 1st Gen riders wishing they owned the prettier 2nd Gens, Harley riders who wish they could keep up with either a 2nd or 1st Gen rider, 1st and 2nd Gen riders wishing they had a Harley - Honda - Suzuki - Ural - Kawasaki or even a Chinese Moped as long as it had a CD Player, Honda riders who just wanna have fun and dont care what others ride, people that snore and dont know they snore, people that know the other people snore and are willing to wrap an old teeshirt around there heads at night just to be near the snorers, homemade wine makers and drinkers, people that know better than to drink the homemade wine, people who see things from drinking the wine, people who wish they could see things, people that laugh to loud at night, folks that will cram 20 people under an awning and all sit at a picnic table meant to hold 6 people and no one has had a shower in 3 days, highway lovers, highway haters, over eaters, under eaters, over achievers, under achievers, quiet spoken, over spoken and everything and anything between the above...

Something tells me Eds would fit right into Level 3..:bighug:

Did my wife tell you I snore?

She's lying. I'm sure of it.

eds

And so,, once again I nailed it,,, no Eds - your wife didnt have to tell me you snore - I could tell right away you were an L-3 just from your posts, pretty sharp for an old geezer eay (learned that "eay" word from some L-3 Canadians that YOU would love!!)

Now you REALLY let the cat out of the bag my friend - now I know your wife is also an L-3 cause it sounds like she's one of those people running around with a tee shirt wrapped around her head in the morning :rotf:

Do we even have any level one or level 2 members?

It sounds like we are all level 3.......

None from Wisconsin thats for sure!! Hmmmmmm,, take that back,,, if snow is a symbol of purity,,, than I wonder if someone who can make the stuff may fall into category 1 :stirthepot:

I gotta stop tossing puc at you Flyfool,, at least till I get over and meet you and earn the right to do so:backinmyday:

None from Wisconsin thats for sure!! Hmmmmmm,, take that back,,, if snow is a symbol of purity,,, than I wonder if someone who can make the stuff may fall into category 1 :stirthepot:

I gotta stop tossing puc at you Flyfool,, at least till I get over and meet you and earn the right to do so:backinmyday:

Trundle on over, Its just a short swim straight across the pond........

(learned that "eay" word from some L-3 Canadians that YOU would love!!)

Hey Puc I hope you can say it better than you can spell it ...EH! Don't know were you got your spelling from.... EH but it sure is not "eay". Its almost like your trying to say EH with a mouth full of Hay Hence "eay" Your mother bless her heart never teach you not to speak with your mouth full.... EH!

By the way think you'll make it to WNY mini Rally.