IGNORED

Yo, Adrian, I did it! (Passing lamp install)

Dale124

Sorry for the Rocky reference there, but I am so thrilled that I actually was able to install my passing lamps. I am not a mechanically inclined person, but have some technical skills from my technician background, and I thought that this install doesn't require a motorcycle mechanic to do, and when I was in buying these lamps and the mounting bracket, I asked the guy in the service dept. how long this would take them to install and how much it would be, he didn't seem to know! I was not thrilled with the prospect of paying them $110/hr without knowing how long this might take them, so yesterday I tackled it on my own. I did, however, chicken out on adding the relay, as I did not want to remove the gas tank to get the wiring to the battery. Maybe in the future I might attempt this. Anyway, this took me about 7 hours, which is much lionger than it should have, but I was being very careful not to cause any problems. It seems that when I don't know exactly what I am doing, if there is a way to do it wrong, I will find it.

Anyway, I turned the boring looking front end into something much more attractive. :cool10:

Here is the final product.

Dale.

[ATTACH]85981[/ATTACH]

Congrats.

I do recommend you use the relay method if you ever get the nerve to tackle the gas tank. Removing the gas tank is really isn't that hard. Just make sure you have an old blanket or couple of towels to lay it on to prevent any dings.

something your FRIENDS here will never let you stop!! Always something new in "Safety Chrome" A term we use to convince our wives of the need to purchase in order to arrive home in one piece when riding. Hmmm when we first approach them we say it safe to ride a motorcycle AND economical then after purchase cagers can't see us and even cheap safety chrome requires :mo money::mo money: Great Job Safety Chroming!

I'll be the one to ask...did you get and install the passing light spacer?

If you've wired it up and it works, be a quick job to pull the tank (3 bolts, turn off petcock, disconnect fuel hose) and run a hot wire from the battery to the front (put it under the panels that the other cables run under) and install a relay. If you get together with someone from the group this could be done in a short time

If you installed it per the yamaha instruction I bet you cut a scotch lock tapping power from the headlight for you 35w ea passing lights. Removing the tank is easy, especially if you are under 1\2 tank. Besides then you could install and ignition by pass relay to help save your switch.

Dont get us wrong. You have tackled a tricky job. I remember the 1st time I. Took the fairing apart. Man was I scared. You have done a good job, but we are just trying to give you some advice to preclude problems don the road.

Thanks, all, for the kind words. I think I will eventually install the relay (I have It here for when I get brave). My kit did not come with a device to tap into the headlight power (scotch lock?), even though it was in the instructions, so I had to peel off some of the jacket of the high beam power wire, and soldered onto it. I had the most trouble getting the last step complete, which was installing the newly wired light bar onto the frame, as the fairing blocks the mounting holes. Oh well, it is now done and looks good with all that "safety chrome".

Dale.

OH yea running them wires can be a PIA. I was doing some work up front. I think lowering the forks in the trip tree. I got everything put back together and I was pretty proud as that was no easy job. Then a few days later I lost passinglighs, turn signal with blown fuse. Took a bit to find. but the way the wires were routed up in front they got pushed into the steering stops and pinched the wires. That my friend was a mess to fix.

OH yea running them wires can be a PIA. I was doing some work up front. I think lowering the forks in the trip tree. I got everything put back together and I was pretty proud as that was no easy job. Then a few days later I lost passinglighs, turn signal with blown fuse. Took a bit to find. but the way the wires were routed up in front they got pushed into the steering stops and pinched the wires. That my friend was a mess to fix.

That does not sound like fun. I had heard one member was able to use a fish tape to get wiring under the tank to the other side, and I was thinking of trying that, but then thought that I'd like to see where the wires are going, in case of something like you described, or, resting on something that is somewhat sharp or heats up, etc. Oh well, it will do for now til I get brave. Having taken the fairing apart several times now, I am more confident to do more work on the bike. Now, if only I knew how to change my own oil, I'd be set :whistling:

Dale

• 8 months later...

Has anyone on here with a 2nd gen RSV installed a switch for their passing lamps? I just got mine, I haven't installed them yet, but it came with an on/off switch. Should I install that or just wire it so its always on when the bike is on? I appreciate any and all help. Pictures of where some of you have put the switch would be great to give me some ideas.

Thank you.