IGNORED

New tach installed

Carbon_One

Today I finished my tach install. Here's the link to the one I used -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/281251433529?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

There's no name on it so can't say for sure who makes it but it looks and functions exactly like the Drag Specilities tach I had on my 05 trike.

I used a Kuryakyn "P" clamp to mount it to the handle bar rather than the one provided. I did that the get the gauge in the spot where I wanted it, as well as the angle needed for viewing better.

Wiring it was very simple. The four wires, red power, yellow - lighting, black - ground, and green negative post of the #4 cylinder coil (white wire). The light in the tach was a nice shade of blue. Tach accuracy was good with no bouncing needle.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjU1WDYwMA==/z/DYcAAMXQEgpTEQwu/$_1.JPGhttp://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTM4WDYwMA==/z/Uu8AAOxy4fVTEQwy/$_1.JPG

The cart button is on only your computer man. I didnt push it. :no-no-no:

Your not alone though it causes me troubles also. I read stuff and then wonder about fixing or modifying mine. Same with adding some of the parts. But good thing I'm not a chrome guy I guess. I dont like polishing the stuff.

My MM came with a Baron's Tach mounted on top of the brake master.. looks great and works great except at idle. At idle the needle bounces and is pretty much useless but once off idle it's rock solid.. sounds like yours Larry with the blue backlight etc.. just says Barons on it.. I wonder if there is something I can do about the bouncing needle at idle?

A lot like the tach I install, don't you want some gages to go with it.[ATTACH]85663[/ATTACH]

I thought about the set up you have but decided all I really needed (wanted) was a tach & voltmeter. I already had the voltmeter that I had on the previous trike so used it again.. Between these two gauges I know almost all there is needed to know what's going on with the engine and electrical system.

The gauge pods do look awesome thou.

Larry

My MM came with a Baron's Tach mounted on top of the brake master.. looks great and works great except at idle. At idle the needle bounces and is pretty much useless but once off idle it's rock solid.. sounds like yours Larry with the blue backlight etc.. just says Barons on it.. I wonder if there is something I can do about the bouncing needle at idle?

I had a Baron's tach like yours given to me. Didn't use it due to where my GPS is mounted and wouldn't of been able to see the tach mounted on the reservoir. As to the bouncing needle I've heard others commenting on that too and as far as I know one just deals with it.

Larry

I have a Baron's on my 950T. It bounces like crazy at idle and slowly gets better at higher RPMS. I've never been able to find a cure. Baron's says it shouldn't do it.

I was thinking it was my installation since I had to take two leads from the 2 cylinders to get an accurate reading. Guess not...cheap tach most likely. No dampening...

FYI... when I ordered my tach the paypal info said the company name was Demon's Cycle South Inc. A google search for their web site shows that they rate an 'F' with the Better Business Bureau - 22 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 0 closed in last 12 months - See more at: http://www.bbb.org/south-east-florida/business-reviews/motorcycles-supplies-and-parts/demons-custom-cycles-south-in-pompano-beach-fl-30005550#sthash.9DybEC0f.dpuf

Ebay shows them as 98.1% Positive feedback

Larry had no issues with them and as far as I know I won't either. Just making sure keep this in mind if they order a tach.

On the tach seller, I never even looked at the their e-bay rating. It was a reasonable price, they shipped it in a timely matter, and works great so no complaints from my end of the transaction.

For the voltmeter gauge a couple others have asked where I got it so here's the following info on that:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041QJQNQ/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=53463800489&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=s&hvrand=11675153993203974341&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1q412ul70y_e

A search on digital voltmeters on the web and e-bay show a few other choices but this one looks great and seems to be water proof as it's been on the bike for a while now. The handle bar clamp I made out of some stainless sheet metal. I added a couple steel spacers under it that fits into the recessed cap holes. That allows the plate to lay flat.

Larry

Edited by Carbon_One

• 4 weeks later...

Got my tach on Friday and looking at how to install it I tried to bend the mounting bracket that comes with the tach. Word of advice....don't try to bend it.

I put it in a vice and tried to bend it by hand. The "metal" snapped. I had a shop make one for me with a slightly longer "tongue". I ended up getting two done even though I only need one...so if anyone needs a bracket, let me know.

Forecast is for rain tonight and tomorrow so will install it tomorrow night. Doing maintenance at the same time - oil change, change spark plugs, carb synch (62,000 km in 4 years).

A lot like the tach I install, don't you want some gages to go with it.[ATTACH]85663[/ATTACH]

I have been thinking about wanting..errr...NEEDING a set of those instead of the tape storage device. Still got them?

Ponch was the one that developed that cluster Dan. Sure do miss him....

Sure wish someone would duplicate, I'm not THAT advanced yet.....

Thanks for the reminder Condor, I tend to forget some of these things...:whistling:

Sure wish someone would duplicate, I'm not THAT advanced yet.....

Thanks for the reminder Condor, I tend to forget some of these things...:whistling:

There were a couple of members who made their own. I think it would be right up your alley, being electrical and all.... :) I think that if anyone contacted Ponch he'd be willing to pass on some pointers?? If I remember the biggest problem was finding the right sized gauges....