IGNORED

Helping another biker- flat tire

Eck

A young boy in the neighborhood was on his bicycle and stopped at my house and asked me if I could put a new tire and tube on his battery operated mini bike.

I grinned and said well, If you could bring me it to me I will surely try.

He said I'll be back in 5 minutes and off he went.

Next thing I see him standing in front of my garage with rear wheel in hand with a new tire that someone tried to put on but could not get one side of it on the rim. The rim was pushed part way into the tire, and the new tube already had air in it and was inside the tire..(duh)..

SO I just pull the rim out of the tire, pulled the tube out of the tire and then removed valve core to let air out of tube.

Using only my hands and fingers, I Lubed up the bead of tire and rim, slipped one side of tire on rim, installed tube, slipped other side of tire bead on rim and aired it up.. Just as I was about to air it up, here comes the little guys bigger brother pushing the mini bike (holding rear off ground and steering with handle bars).

The little guy looks at me and then asks if I could put the tire on the bike. I grinned and said sure..

Little did I know there were disc brakes on it and a rear axle with spacers and flat washers.. not knowing where these parts went I had to carefully figure it out, which I did and off the little guy went on his mini bike all happy and smiles.

About two hours later he's back, and says his rear tire is flat..

I look, no nails in tire, valve core is tight, no leaks using Windex on valve core..so now I have to remove the tire from bake and from rim and look for a hole in the new tube.

Out of the mouths of children...the little guy says: I bet I know what happened. I said what. He said his mom used a flat blade screwdriver and pushed the tube up into the tire but could not get the tire on the rim and I bet she poked the tire...

I told him I cant fix the hole (which I found) in the tube until I get a patch kit so leave the bike here over night..

SO this morning...I am off to Wal Mart to buy a patch kit for his tube and some tire balancing beads for my GW......

Getting a car tire mounted on the rear of my wing today..:twing:

not only have you made a new friend(s) with your assistance, but as the youngsters get a little older, your spirit of rendering aid will hopefully be passed on through them.. not to mention you can almost rest assured that your home will NOT ever be a target for halloween pranks :thumbsup2: ...

not only have you made a new friend(s) with your assistance, but as the youngsters get a little older, your spirit of rendering aid will hopefully be passed on through them.. not to mention you can almost rest assured that your home will NOT ever be a target for halloween pranks :thumbsup2: ...

great story.... makes me smile...thanks for sharing Eck...now that is paying it forward..

Great story........you have made a real impression on one young guy.

Good stuff

What could any one say that these guys have not already said. You're a good man Eck, no matter what others say about you

That is just so typical of you Eck. You not only set a great example for those youngsters but also all of us here. We should all take the time to do good deeds such as this whenever possible. Imagine how much better things would be for all of us if this were the case!!

Boomer .....who sez he's proud to have ya for a friend.....And I'll bet ya didn't even ask those youngsters if they were Republicans or Democrats....:rotf:!!!

Many thanks guys...

I not sooner got his tube patched, and his bike is all back together and there he is on a bicycle in front of my garage. He looks at it and asks me: Is it fixed?

I said; Yep, it sure is. How about taking it for a spin and let me know what you think. I said I also fixed your automatic chain adjuster for you too. The spring was broke and I just happen to another one like it so I put it on for you.

The kid jumps on his bike, turns the key and off he goes.

I watch him for a minute and he stops, turns around and yells back at me....

"Its fantastic..........thanks a lot Mr. Eck...

SO he yells back again and says, I'm going to take it home and I will be right back for my bicycle.

I yelled...OK.. Ride safe.

I hear him yell again as he takes off..........TTTTTHHHHAAANNNKKKSSSS..

I told him when he came back for his bicycle to tell his parents to get a front tire and i will put it on for him too since the front one is as bald as a baby's behind.

Sorry guys, I'm in my glory now and just smiling inside.

On another note,

I got my car tire mounted on the rear rim ($10.00) and I installed it on my bike. Took it out for a spin and wow.. what a nice change it brings in handling and balance.

Took it up to 85 MPH and it was soooooooo smoothe...

Hit a few curves and I felt so much more secure.

I now know I will never ever go back to a rear MC tire on my GW again... :thumbsup2:

$156.oo for a tire, $10 bucks to mount it and I can get 50 to 60 k out of it v/s the measly 5k miles out of a MC tire.

One of the great things about your story is the kid thanking you. In today's world, I see so many kids that were never taught that when someone does something for them, they should show appreciation and thanks. The other thing I hear is when I thank someone now days is I get back "no problem". To me that kind of negates or dismisses my thank you.

Again, ya done good Eck.

RandyA

One of the great things about your story is the kid thanking you. In today's world, I see so many kids that were never taught that when someone does something for them, they should show appreciation and thanks. The other thing I hear is when I thank someone now days is I get back "no problem". To me that kind of negates or dismisses my thank you.

Again, ya done good Eck.

RandyA

I have been working with this young kid (he is from India) for a while now. I have fixed his Bicycle a few times, and I have been working with his friends who ride around with him, who also stop in and ask me to air up their tires or tighten this or that.

After I do fix something for any of them, I wait to see if they say thank you. Most always they didn't.

When they don't, I just say to them:

Oh, by the way, you are welcome......this hits them, and they then say Thank you... Since I have said that to these kids for some time now, when they do stop and ask me to fix something, afterwards they always say thank you now...

I have also been preaching to them about bicycle and mini bike safety, like always wear your helmet, don't wear flip flops when riding and have shared with them some rules of group riding. I now have about 4 kids that will always wear their helmets, and the others I keep hounding by telling them I care for them and don't want them to get hurt. I also tell them I am proud of them when I see them wearing safety gear. (Just wish their parents said the same once in a while),

Anyway, Im not looking for a pat on the back, I just hoping someday they will look back and say, I remember that an old man named Eck who always told us to be safe and to stay off drugs.

I have been working with this young kid (he is from India) for a while now. I have fixed his Bicycle a few times, and I have been working with his friends who ride around with him, who also stop in and ask me to air up their tires or tighten this or that.

After I do fix something for any of them, I wait to see if they say thank you. Most always they didn't.

When they don't, I just say to them:

Oh, by the way, you are welcome......this hits them, and they then say Thank you... Since I have said that to these kids for some time now, when they do stop and ask me to fix something, afterwards they always say thank you now...

I have also been preaching to them about bicycle and mini bike safety, like always wear your helmet, don't wear flip flops when riding and have shared with them some rules of group riding. I now have about 4 kids that will always wear their helmets, and the others I keep hounding by telling them I care for them and don't want them to get hurt. I also tell them I am proud of them when I see them wearing safety gear. (Just wish their parents said the same once in a while),

Anyway, Im not looking for a sepat on the back, I just hoping someday they will look back and say, I remember that an old man named Eck who always told us to be safe and to stay off drugs.

Good on you Eck!! One or more of these kids will someday be the guy on the block that you are because they knew you. My father was not mechanically inclined at all but I learned from local farmers that I worked for and anyone that would teach me. I know what I know from guys like you:thumbsup2::thumbsup2: