IGNORED

Dang tire

Snaggletooth

I've loved my Venoms. Got to give it up for now. Got some serious damage on the rear today. Only tire handy is the Dunlop D404

Good match paired with the Venom on the front?

Other suggestions?

From my Droid wherever I may happen to be at any given moment.

Edited by Snaggletooth

I didnt have much luck with the D404 on my Kawasaki. I'm guessing funds short at this time so your looking for an alternative. I just ordered up a Shinko from motorcycle superstore for under $80 for my 2nd Gen.

Can't speak of personal experience with D404, paired with anything.

I assume that only the D404 is local to you? Too bad that is all there is around you.

Sounds counter intuitive but check with your local Harley dealer. I've discovered that our tire size was common on certain Harleys. Can't think of the Harley model right now, but call 'em. Maybe they have an E3 or ?

I've loved my Venoms. Got to give it up for now. Got some serious damage on the rear today. Only tire handy is the Dunlop D404

Good match paired with the Venom on the front?

Other suggestions?

To me, the best handling combination on my 1st gen is with a Venom on the front and Dunlop E3 on the back. I just replaced the E3 on the front with a Venom because I liked it before. As far as the 404, not sure, but can you get an E3?

RandyA

I went thru a couple of 404's last year Snag,, I liked em but found they disappeared pretty quickly - 5 thou and they were gone (desert touring).. Handled the road real well though.. Like already mentioned,, if you can land an E3 do it,, much better wearing tire...

On the same token though,, E3 is usually gone for me in 8,, if you can get the 404 for 1/2 price of an E3 and dont mind tossing on new tire at that 1/2 way point,, could work.... Just dont get caught like I did out in Utah and have to pay premium E3 price for a 404...

I just picked up a Conti Tour for the front of my bike from Amazon for less than 1/2 price (60 bucks) SHIPPED - only took 1 day to get it here, might wanna check Amazon!! Its on,, cant wait to see how it wears!!! Running a 70 dollar new Metz on the back with it,,, we will see how that combo goes as soon as this winter is over...:backinmyday:

Found 1 E3 my size locally. $294.00. Trying to swallow that right now.

That is a pretty big pill to swallow. For that kind of money, I suspect you could get TWO D404. So what if they last half as long?

If there is anybody selling a Kenda around your neck of the woods, they have a tire for Ventures that is load rated well.

Amazon sells the Kenda, too. A guy I know put them on his laden LD ridden Venture. Only been a while since he installed it, so I can't speak of mileage. IIRC, it was $113 from Amazon.

I can order another venom from Dennis Kirk for $140.00. Be late next week before i would get that. Had to happen on a Friday ya know.

Hey, Mike, if you want to bring that Lincoln out my way, I'll let you have the D491 off my '83. Just bring your rear wheel with ya when ya come!

Thanks Kevin. IM 40 miles from the barn right now. Concerned about gettint back without problems. Need to stop and pick up my tag a long from storage and see if my bike lift will fit inside to get it back to the barn.

Gonna be one of those weekends i guess.

Found 1 E3 my size locally. $294.00. Trying to swallow that right now.

Only other available option is a stinko. Don't think so.

Sounds like your dealing with the same place that tried to sell me a 404 last year out at Moab - they wanted 230 bucks for a 404 (thought they had me,, rode to Richfield and got the same tire for $135ish (still got took but not quite so bad)..

Here's am Amazon 404 [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-D404-Metric-Cruiser-Rear/dp/B0043Y77L4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=07DWY86RPH5D41D178HC]Amazon.com: Dunlop D404 Metric Cruiser Rear Tire - 130/90H-16/--: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31%2Bc-euuz9L.@@AMEPARAM@@31%2Bc-euuz9L[/ame]

93 bucks free ship

The Dunlop D404 has been on my 02 RSMV since the original Bridgestones came off. I have 180,000 plus miles and have never had an issue with this tire. Good in rain and dry highway plus good grip in gravel. Many of (you) riders have become high tire price groupies. Dunlop has made great tires for decades and still do. Buy what you want but don't bad mouth the others. BTW I get 10-12,000 on front and 8,000 rear and change my own.

:farmer:

The Dunlop D404 has been on my 02 RSMV since the original Bridgestones came off. I have 180,000 plus miles and have never had an issue with this tire. Good in rain and dry highway plus good grip in gravel. Many of (you) riders have become high tire price groupies. Dunlop has made great tires for decades and still do. Buy what you want but don't bad mouth the others. BTW I get 10-12,000 on front and 8,000 rear and change my own.

:farmer:

I have to agree. My 09 came with 404's. I got 14,450 miles out of the front and 12,800 out of the rear. Just been using something different ever since. BTW, Conti Tour was gone in less than 6,000 miles. Same with Shinko on my Vmax. I keep records of all my tires and maintenance just for comparison.

Sounds like your dealing with the same place that tried to sell me a 404 last year out at Moab - they wanted 230 bucks for a 404 (thought they had me,, rode to Richfield and got the same tire for $135ish (still got took but not quite so bad)..

Here's am Amazon 404 Amazon.com: Dunlop D404 Metric Cruiser Rear Tire - 130/90H-16/--: Automotive

93 bucks free ship

Puc, that tire is one size too small isn't it? I know it is for my 89.

What's wrong with the tire?

Apparently it is still holding air?

:080402gudl_prv:

Its been getting pretty chewed up traveling on these lime rock roads out here. Usually have to do a minimum of 8 to 14 miles a day depending on weather conditions to get to a paved road.

I just gauged the tires a couple weeks ago while changing drive lube and both were still at 50 psi then. Headed into Omaha this morning and was dancing pretty good on the last stretch of rock. Rolling into the lil truck stop out on the hwy and checked. Rear was down to 25 psi. Aired it up found a small leak just at the edge of the tread. Not cool. Stuck a sticky in her and she held. Still holding but i ain't playing games with it.

I got 20k out of the last set of venoms. That was all hwy miles and not pulling a trailer. I've got less than 6k on this set but a lot of rock roads and all trailer miles.

Front looks fine all around but the rear is done for safety sake.

I'll find something over the weekend. Hate to spend good money on a quality tire and chew it all up on these cheese grater roads out here. Then again i have trouble buying a cheap tire to get by for a few miles and pulling a loaded trailer all the time.

Yeah, picky i know. I'm weird about my tires.

A ballsy set of knobbies would suit my needs out here just fine.

Puc, that tire is one size too small isn't it? I know it is for my 89.

Yep,, sure is,, my bad and good eye Sky!! Got lookin at tires on Amazon and got away from myself :sign brain fart: or just plain a senior moment:rotf::rotf:

well I just got slapped in the face ( figure of speech) went out to check my bike my back tire has wire showing thru http://bamarides.com/ride/Smileys/don/sad-034.gif .... what makes me mad I don't have bout 4/5k miles on the dunlop E3, I've been getting over 11/15k miles out of them, I'm bummed... maybe that is why it was so cheap on EBAY ....

well I just got slapped in the face ( figure of speech) went out to check my bike my back tire has wire showing thru http://bamarides.com/ride/Smileys/don/sad-034.gif .... what makes me mad I don't have bout 4/5k miles on the dunlop E3, I've been getting over 11/15k miles out of them, I'm bummed... maybe that is why it was so cheap on EBAY ....

Now THAT brings up an interesting topic Midnight:scratchchin:

Years ago I bought into a batch of cheap Michellin tires (yea, I know,, "cheap" and "Michellin" never went together so I shoulda known something was up) for the back of my KX500 M/X bike.. Brand new tire, go single trackin with some buds, guy behind me pulls up at a break in the action and says "I keep getting hit by hunks of rubber from your rear tire".. Took a look and I was literally missing over half the knobs on a brand new rear tire..

Have always wondered if there was something to the thought of tire manufactures sourcing out "seconds" or maybe even "thirds" and having them land in the hands of people like me tryin to ride on the "cheap"... If that is the case,, there is a really good chance that in my lifetime of destroying motorcycle tires, I have NEVER owned a "good" set of tires in my life:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Another interesting thought on the tire subject... I gotta bud down the street who always buys the best of the best.. He buys some kind of multi-rubber tire for the rear of his 2010 Ultra Classic.. Suppose to be hard in the center (to fight wear) and soft on the outer (maintains good grip),, I know he paid a lot of money for his rear tire,,,, I think its a Dunlop,, but he has over 10k Michigan miles on it and it still looks great... Just a thought...