IGNORED

Just bought a like new 1989 Yamaha Venture!

BlueSky

The ignition switch needed a little WD40 to work smoothly. The only thing I have found that doesn't work so far is the neutral switch.

I use electrical contact cleaner from Radioshack. works well for key switches.

I checked the tires and both are Dunlop Elite IIIs with almost all of the tread left. They are both date stamped 2010 so I lucked out there. 2010 is when the previous owner bought it. I won't have to buy tires! He also mentioned taking it in for service. He took it to the Honda Dealer and they said they wouldn't work on a bike that old, but when they saw it they made an exception because of the condition.

The neutral switch worked today so maybe I was just having difficulty finding first gear yesterday. I thought I left it in first but my son noticed the indicator said 2nd. Probably needs some lube somewhere. It's only been from the trailer to the garage so far. I have not ridden it.

My wife's comment on the bike was, "Why did you buy such an old bike?" I should have told her it was a 2009. She would never have known the difference! Ha!

I would have agreed with you, Jeff if you had asked me last year when I had the '90, but this year, I have the '91 and IT is the fastest color, now.

attachment.php?attachmentid=84115&stc=1&d=1399724252:whistling:

Wow! That's a great looking 91 model! How many miles does it have on the odometer?

Hey Welcome. You have the twin to my 89. When you join, PM me with an email address and I will email you a lot of info and step by step repair/maintenance items on these bikes that i have collected from this forum and converted to Word Docs. This forum is better than nay owners manual.

I toyed with the idea of looking for a perfect one like that or putting the money into my 88. Now that I have spend the last week trying to get all the parts to bolt back up, I'm thinking maybe I should have just gone out and found another one that has never been down.

Are you willing to tell us what one has to pay for a nice one like that. I'm really would like to know what an excellent condition 89-91 would be worth.

And if you want to part with the fender emblem I'll be happy to buy if from you. Mine fell off a couple of years ago. Found one on ebay but the seller never sent it then disappeared. I did not care so much about the money as much as the part.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/RR322/YamahaVenture002_zps3231a641.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/RR322/YamahaVenture001_zps8074fa3c.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/RR322/YamahaVenture005_zpsf621735f.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/RR322/YamahaVenture004_zpsb9f2765f.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/RR322/YamahaVenture003_zpsa1f56088.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/RR322/YamahaVenture002_zps3231a641.jpg

WOW!!!:178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::clap2::clap2::clap2::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::scared::scared::scared::scared::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

AND :wel_ani3Tay::wel_ani3Tay::wel_ani3Tay::wel_ani2Wa::wel_ani2Wa::welcome1::welcome1::welcome1:

TO VR BLUESKY!!!!

PUC

• 2 months later...

That is a fantastic looking bike & I think you will really enjoy it.

Hope you get rolling soon and since you're in NC, maybe consider joining us at the KOA east campground this week.

Edited by Skid

That is a sweet looking machine. Oh and it is both the fastest year and color.....No I am not biased.....OK maybe just a little. In any case count on many enjoyable and comfortable miles on it. PS tell your wife its not old its vintage and will continue to get better with time. One major problem with these bikes however is they do not like to sit parked for too long, little things tend to go wrong but ride it every day and she will hum for you. Think of it as a good horse that needs regular exercise.

Hey Welcome. You have the twin to my 89. When you join, PM me with an email address and I will email you a lot of info and step by step repair/maintenance items on these bikes that i have collected from this forum and converted to Word Docs. This forum is better than nay owners manual.

Bill,

That picture looks like you stopped at the Stage Stop!

Edited by videoarizona
typo

There seems to be a flood of really nice low mileage 89 Ventures coming available lately. A month ago there was an 89 with 17,000 miles for sale in Friday Harbor WA, asking price $3200. I did not see that bike but talked to the owner and the pix looked as good as the one Bluesky bought. At the same time, there was an 89 for sale in Lynnwood WA with 25,000 miles. I bought that one for $1900 and will be picking it up next weekend. The one I got does not have the extra chromey things on it.

Congrats on your super find Bluesky.

Wonder if we should start a separate forum for beautiful 89's. :big-grin-emoticon:

You have a very nice bike there and it has some of the rarer chrome pieces on it such as the

bag top rails and the fairing chrome air intakes. Did you get the little pouches with it that mount on each side of the fairing and on the right side of the top trunk? What about a passenger audio control?

I don't think that bike has ever seen very much sun. What a beautiful color.

Yes it has the pouches, the passenger controls, and a took kit. I went back to work shortly after buying it (out of state) and I haven't ridden it much. I haven't put my 4 brush starter on it yet and it is running rich. I would hate to rely on it starting a slow as it turns over when hot. I paid $3800.