IGNORED

Rear trunk wrap around reflector

videoarizona

Just got my new-to-me 1989 VR. Wonderful! Scary! LARGE ....Going to be interesting...bit bigger than my 950Tourer...hmm.

So far, I've cleaned her up, checked some maintenance items and put the windshield back on. Everything works....so far!

Noticed that the rear reflector that wraps around the trunk is held on by what looks like duct tape! Someone looped the tape in little loops and stuck them inside between the reflector and the trunk.

Ok.....so this just doesn't seem right to me. The rest of the bike is in excellent shape obviously well taken care of, so I'm curious why the P.O. did this???

Ideas and hints appreciated....

thanks,

david

PO did it because they did not know better.

Carefully heat the reflector and the trunk body from the inside with a heat gun and work the reflector off VERY carefully. It was original held in place by 2 sided (3M) tape.

Go to local auto parts store buy new 3M tape.... clean all areas with something like Methyl hydrate with all old tape removed.

I believe the new reflector I bought had 4 strips of about 2 inch long holding it on.

Be so careful with this reflector, as far as I know you cannot buy a new one anymore.

Welcome to the Venture addiction club :mo money: :thumbsup2:

They might have done things differently in 89, but my 85 was glued in place all around the outer edges. Some of the glue came loose and I had to use an exacto knife to get the rest off. Maybe that happened to your's, kevin, and somebody used two-sided tape, or maybe Yammi decided that the tape was a better idea. Just my opinion though, is that the tape will allow dirt to filter in behind the reflector and make things kind of dirty in there.

While it is off it would be a good time to put some LED lights in behind as an extra brake light.

You have to heat the reflector to loosen the glue and remove the backing plate. But be careful....don't pry on it (I cracked mine)

buy a couple of strips of LED lights and wire it up.

I used a strip that was like a flat ribbon with the LEDs every inch or so. There was plenty of room to fit between the reflector lens and backing plate.

I believe Marcarl just drilled holes in the backing plate for the LEDs....either way it makes a big difference in seeing the brake lights!

I always thought just the one brake light just isn't enough....especially buried under the trunk box.

Is it the red plastic part of the reflector coming off of the black plastic backing, or is it the whole assembly coming off of the trunk?

If it is the whole assembly coming off of the trunk, then yes there is double sided foam tape that holds it on, there is also 3 screws from the inside of the trunk to help hold it on there. Someone may have stripped out the screws prying it off and did what they could to get it back on there.

I also filled my reflector up with LEDs. Lots of time to do it but well worth it.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41588

Well gentlemen, I got the 3M tape and it is great stuff!

I didn't get back to check on forum until AFTER I put the tape on. But now know how to get it off as well! (grins)

I have the entire wrap around reflector that was taped on with good tape...just not 3M stuff.

So I'll be OK regarding LED lights. That will be this summer's project (to hot in Arizona to ride for most of summer) . I'll slip them in the top groove between the reflector and the trunk body. About 1/4 inch.

Thanks all!

david

P.s. Can't get the VR up on center stand. Suspension isn't lowered and air system is working...so no idea at this point. Did read up on how...but that didn't work for me.

Tonight a buddy is coming to visit on his HD. We'll take that matter up then. I'm meeting him on the road for dinner, so this will be ride #2 for me and #1 at night.

Whoo hoo!

Edited by videoarizona
Add

P.s. Can't get the VR up on center stand. Suspension isn't lowered and air system is working...so no idea at this point. Did read up on how...but that didn't work for me.

Tonight a buddy is coming to visit on his HD. We'll take that matter up then. I'm meeting him on the road for dinner, so this will be ride #2 for me and #1 at night.

Whoo hoo!

Practice ! I could not get my 86 on the center stand at first. I went to a charity thing at a dealer and they had some nice bikini clad young girls washing bikes for a donation....I had to toss in a 20. This gal that was maybe 110 lbs walked over to my bike, spun it around on the side stand pushed it over to the wash area and flipped it up on the center. There must be a trick I say.

So.... push down on center stand with right foot until it touches the ground rock bike back and forth til you feel both legs touch. Then as you put your weight on the right foot have right hand on passenger arm rest and pull forward and up. Left hand on left handle bar. Youtube is always a good place to see how.

Put all your weight on center stand as you pull up on passenger grab handle, with left hand on left grip as mentioned. I weigh 175 and can pop mine right up. Don't try to fight it and don't try to lift bike. When you pull up on grab handle you are forcing your foot down, not lifting.

• 5 months later...

Is there a difference in the trunk reflectors? I have two of them and they are different thicknesses and the reflector setups are different.One is all red in the back and thin, the other is Red in the center and orange on the sides.Will they still work on all the first gen bikes?:confused24:

Is there a difference in the trunk reflectors? I have two of them and they are different thicknesses and the reflector setups are different.One is all red in the back and thin, the other is Red in the center and orange on the sides.Will they still work on all the first gen bikes?:confused24:

All the factory trunk reflectors were red all around. However, there was an aftermarket accessory trunk light bar that looked just like the OEM reflector, except that it contained light bulbs and had the amber lens at the ends. Perhaps you have one of those and someone has clipped the wires? Or someone replaced the factory red reflectors with the amber lens from the aftermarket? Big Bike Parts, Show Chrome and RIVCO sold the lighted trunk 'reflector' back in the day. If you don't want the red and amber 'reflector', I'll take it.

There is a difference between the MKI 83-84, and the 85?.. MKII 86-93. Don't know which MK the '85 trunk falls under... ?

Just an FYI, Big Bike Parts still has the replacement lenses for their old rear light bar. You just have to call in to order them is all.

I also added a bunch of red led strips to red portion of the light bar to make it a brake light and then added amber LED strips to make the turn signals brighter. I also got a brake light modulator to flash them and it was also able to dim them to 33% brightness as a tail light.

http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-led-brake-light-modulators.html

Here is a link to a previous post with pics..

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71811

Rick F.

Edited by cimmer
added link

All the factory trunk reflectors were red all around. However, there was an aftermarket accessory trunk light bar that looked just like the OEM reflector, except that it contained light bulbs and had the amber lens at the ends. Perhaps you have one of those and someone has clipped the wires? Or someone replaced the factory red reflectors with the amber lens from the aftermarket? Big Bike Parts, Show Chrome and RIVCO sold the lighted trunk 'reflector' back in the day. If you don't want the red and amber 'reflector', I'll take it.

So this lighted reflector must be the aftermarket version, correct? It seems like they all should have had the extra turn and tail lights. The extra brake lights are not that bright, though. I will have to fix that this winter.

So this lighted reflector must be the aftermarket version, correct? It seems like they all should have had the extra turn and tail lights. The extra brake lights are not that bright, though. I will have to fix that this winter.

I'd think so. Here's a pic of my '91 and it's a stock reflector. I think the aftermarkets put the end caps in amber as running lights. They didn't need to do that on this '91 since it looks like a Christmas tree when lit up.

P1000896 (Medium).JPG

P1000897 (Medium).JPG

Yes, that is the aftermarket with the lighting and amber turn signals in the trunk reflector. Big Bike was the primary retailer for that, although others offered it.