IGNORED

Brave or crazy?

mralex714

I just made a post WINTER WARRIOR we go out like this every year. This is the first year I have not rode every week, my Roadstar is being remodeled after I donated some parts to Freebird off it. So no winter bike. I hate to run the Venture in this stuff, but I went out on ice and snow today for a good two hours. 16 degrees. I learned how when I HAD to, and never stopped.

I guess I'm on the "crazy" list. I've been living out in the boonies for a while. I'm about 5 miles from town and 3.5 miles off the paved roads on lime rock roads. There hasn't been a lot of snow here but when there is there is drifting at the crests of the hills where the fields are open.

One morning I had been into town early with the trailer on the bike to pick up supplies. Later that morning I looked out to see a county road grader stopped on the road out in front of there I stay and the operator was walking along the side of the road and looking up the driveway. I went out to find out if I could help. The operator said he was just trying to figure out the tracks he'd been seeing and pointed to the three tracks from the road into the drive and along the edge of the bean field then around the back of the shed.

I walked him around back and pointed to the bike with the full cover on it and the trailer still hooked up. I had trouble keeping a straight face watching him absorb what he was looking at. Took him a minute to soak up "motorcycle" and "three tire tracks". I suppose the fact snow was involved through him off. He left with a head shake, a hand shake and a grin and good wishes for a long life. LOL.

Actually I'm pretty pleased with the Avon's this winter on these roads in snow. I have one bridge over a creek in a low area between my place and the closest paved road that tends to turn my testicles into ovaries when it's snow packed and windswept. At least that's not an everyday problem.

Bright side. No salt. They just add some gravel to the worst spots. Kind like mixing in BB's with marbles.

Looking forward to summer though. Yep. I am.

From my Droid wherever I may happen to be at any given moment.

Do what you have to do.

Rode in more then 8 inches of snow with 1/2 inch ice for a base.

Rode at 20 below and at more then 120 degrees, weathered tornadoes and hail.

Driving rain, wind and If you ride more the a piece of driveway jewelry these things happen.

Not saying I liked any of it and in some cases there was definitely a PUCKER FACTOR.

I do love to ride and these thing happen, would be nice if it was sunny, clean roads always paved and 70 degree temps.

I am sure his pucker factor was HIGH, just sayin:cool10::322:

Back in the days before I learned what salt can do to aluminum I rode all winter even though I had a good car. There were many times that I got caught at work with several inches of partly cloudy on the roads.

I was always amazed at just how well the bike did handle the snow.

But then back in high school, I peddled my bike to school every day even if there was a foot of snow on the ground and still coming when I left home in the morning.

I can remember a few times riding to work on base. It was my only tranposrtatio and in southwest Ok its usually colder than ... but not much snow. Will freeze at night on ya though. I was on my way home one morning about 7am and a sleet storm hit. Dont ya know that was fun. windshiled sleeted over, I'm trying to look over the top and the faceshield is frosting over on the inside. When I got home (about 10-15 miles) I took off my field jacket and it stood up on its own in the bath tub with the arms still pointed like I was hanging on to handlebars.

As many of you, i have to add my name to the "crazy" list. I didn't look at it as brave, nor crazy though. Most of the times it started with an "oh crap, it was not supposed to start this early, I'm screw" followed by "FFFF"... The last time it happened was a few weeks ago... it was the first time with the venture and I do recall thinking "i'm stupid" every time I had to pull over to clean the windshield. I have to confessed thought that I must have not learned from it as it hasn't stopped me from riding like for instance this morning at 7 degrees. :confused07:

Bin there. I had to ride about ten miles through 6 inches of snow. The snow we get out on the coast is not dry and powdery, it is slick as goose grease. a friend went down on black ice one time. The cop showed up, stepped out of his car and went flat on his ass.