IGNORED

Legalized pot. For it or against it?

Ventureless

A few of you have been talking about how it makes you lazy and talk about burnouts. When I talk about it being legal and people being able to just buy it and use it, I guess I think of the responsible users. I am not talking sit around every day and do nothing but use pot. That to me is like comparing a full time alcoholic to an occasional social drinker. Do I drink, yes. Maybe once a month when I am with the boys watching a game or we have a get together. Maybe twice a month if I get the urge one weekend to have a couple while cooking some steaks on the grill in the evening. So obviously I am not abusive of it. And that is what I think of when I think of pot use. Once a month or so sitting around the fire pit and partaking. And as far as making you lazy, sure some people use enough that it happens. But I will say that even with all the crazy stuff I did when I was younger and my occasional pot use now, I am far from lazy or burned out. I made it through college, have a successful career, raise 2 kids. I leave work every day and go to the kids school and volunteer anywhere from 3-5 days a week. Then run them to dance, soccer, basketball, cheerleading, baseball, etc. Then come home and cook dinner and clean up afterwards. So I would say that smoking pot did not inhibit me at all or make me lazy in any way. Now once again, I am not really an addictive or abusive type of person. Do I go overboard occasionally? Sure. But it has only been a handful of times in my 36 years. I know everyone has their own opinion, but I also think that you would have to look at each individual that does what they do (or have done) instead of judging everyone because there is a certain stereotype or because in your experience you have seen the bad in something. There is bad in everything and good in everything in my opinion.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion it will eventually be legalized but the 'benefits' are dubious.

Governments will have to enact regulations for the growth, production, distribution, sale and taxation. Laws to punish violators will also be needed.

Governments will have to fund studies to determine levels of intoxication which impair someone ability to operate a motor vehicle and the like. Studies would be done to determine damage done to the body based on level of usage.

Governments will have to fund methods of detecting levels of intoxication such as breathalyzer and then train police forces on the use of these methods.

Governments will develop laws concerning the smoking of marijuana likely similar to those for tobacco. Some jurisdictions here in Canada have made tobacco smoking very prohibitive.

Government taxation of any commodity leads to higher prices so criminal organizations would not leave because there's just too much money to be made outside the government system.

In the end the taxpayers will foot the bill just as we are now and always do.

Even though Mover rides a Blue Bike...:stirthepot:... I agree with His analogy on this subject.

I personally have not used Pot in about 30+ years and don't intend to...... I believe that if the government get involved it will cost us non-users more $$$$$..... I have no answer to the original question (should it be legal) as I haven't given it much thought. I just know that anytime the Government steps in it costs us $$$$$

BTW... I'm not trying to be political just voicing my opinion on the subject.

There is an excellent video out called "Grass". It is about the cost ( Trillions) of the war on pot and the lack of result. The growth of Hemp would affect cotton profits. Mexican immigrants used it as a spice in their cooking. Making it illegal allowed them to be deported at any time. I have tried pot but since I don't smoke I did not care for smoking it but I liked it baked into cookies or brownies. That was many years ago and I haven't bothered with it since, I prefer single malt Scotch.

Years ago I applied for a job as a police officer. I was invited for an interview. During the interview the sergeant asked what my opinion of pot was. I said it should be legalized and sold and taxed the same as alcohol with the same restrictions. He then asked what I thought of hard drugs such as heroin etc. I said put the users in treatment and take the dealers out into the woods and shoot them. He had a hard time keeping a straight face. I distinctly saw his moustache twitch. I made it to the next level.

Wow, I guess I shouldn't be quite so shocked at the overwhelming number of people who are in favor of legalization. I am a bit surprised. As a product of the 60's I watched my hippie sister get stoned enough that it didn't look fun, so I never tried it. She also influenced me so also that at the age of 61 I have never tasted beer! Getting stoned or high never has appealed to me as I want to keep as many senses as I can. My memory is bad enough. My problem is what illegal substance gets socially accepted next to the point of making it the next legal drug due to social pressure. I don't know. I choose not to drink simply because I don't need it. As a pastor I can quote a ton of Bible texts about taking care of the body and being pure while I stuff myself with Oreo cookies and a glass of milk! All things are to be done in moderation but some of us can't stop with one Oreo.

Obviously, the majority of Americans are okay with legalization of pot. Personally, I oppose legalization but respect others who feel otherwise.

Guest tx2sturgis

Before everyone assumes that legalized pot puts an end to the drug dealer issues...check again...drug cartels were not impressed.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/78717/mexican-drug-cartels-will-likely-try-to-overrun-colorado-s-new-pot-shops

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/11/colorado-pot-shops-likely-targets-cartels-say-experts/

I started smoking cigarettes because I used to read Encyclopedia Brown. He smoked coffee grounds and that's what I first smoked when I was 12! I think the alcohol lobby keeps weed illegal. Im Active Duty Army and alcohol is everywhere. Suicides, wife/children/cohort murdering is rampant everywhere and alcohol is almost always involved. As a former (and someday future) pot smoker of many years, I've never seen the violence and wrecklessness of weed compared to booze.

Before everyone assumes that legalized pot puts an end to the drug dealer issues...check again...drug cartels were not impressed.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/78717/mexican-drug-cartels-will-likely-try-to-overrun-colorado-s-new-pot-shops

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/11/colorado-pot-shops-likely-targets-cartels-say-experts/

:thumbsup2:

"That puts retailers in a position where they’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t. It’s only been a little less than two weeks since they’ve been in business, but as anyone could imagine, it couldn’t possibly be easy to do business with both the federal government and violent drug cartels breathing down your neck at the same time."

I see nothing wrong with it just so the person using it stays put for 5 or 6 hours before hitting the road....

Totally agree!

The problem is that we have had a legal, judgement impairing drug (alcohol) in our society for years now and have proven over and over again that, in many cases, expecting people who are high/drunk to choose prudent behavior doesnt work.. It's just very difficult to expect someone who is intoxicated to CHOOSE to stay home/not drive home from the bar and not be dangerous to the public on the highways.. Good judgement while drinking/toking is kind of an oxymoron.. :detective:

Speaking about judgement impairment problems, the road ways are only one area that suffers.. I have many many friends/neighbors who, like me, have had issues with drug/alcohol use.. Some have kids in prison for DUI, others have had families split up, jobs lost and we even have a couple of families who have lost loved ones to people who made the wrong choice - this is tough stuff...

Introducing yet another form of legally getting a buzz-on when we have proven we cant be trusted to protect others, who are innocent, with the one we already have just doesnt seem right.. Maybe fix the first before we do the latter..

Now, being the horse trader that I am,,, I'd swap recreational use of pot for: the public serving of alcohol/pot - go to home use only, either raise the age of the kids we accept into the Military to 21 or lower the drinking age to 18 (never made sense - responsible enough to die for us but not to drink.confused24.gif - home use only, remove "felon status" from DUI and prison time - rehab instead of punish - support help for families, abused spouses and such associated to drug/alcohol abuse,,, manditory breathalysers for all motor vehicles tied directly to the ignition - puff to start - we have manditory seatbelts/airbags/helmets laws to protect the drunk driver - time to protect the innocent too...

Kinda think the same way about the whole idea of deriving tax revenue from selling Pot,, it would be really cool if we could see balanced budgets (states and federal) before we toss in more revenue, let em show "we the people" they can be responsible with what they have BEFORE we give em more :stirthepot: Yea, yea, yea,,,, I know,, Pucs in a dream world again.....:whistling:

Fighting pain is a whole nother issue, I certainly can not understand why Pot has not been used legally medically all along, probably has more to do with control of the $$ flow than anything.. This never did make sense.. :confused24:

The company is Growlife. The stock ticker is PHOT. The company is the one that has sold Phototrons for 25 years. They have put together a pretty good management team and have some good ideas for the industry. A lot of people say they are a pump and dump company, but at this point in the growing industry, it is hard to tell who will do well and who won't. And please don't take what I say and not do any research on your own. I am not a professional investor. Just like to play sometimes and I win some and lose some. On this one, I won so far. Like I said, I bought 100K shares for .06. It got up to .about .47 and I sold half at .44. So I paid about $6K and by selling half got back $22K. The stock rose rapidly and dropped just as quick. It has been around .20 for a couple weeks now. So I have made plenty of money so far and if it drops out and I get nothing from the last 50K shares, I am still ahead and happy. And if I hold and it goes up over the next couple years, I will be even happier. :fingers-crossed-emo

Thanks for the tip. I only picked up 2K shares yesterday at 2PM at .24 per share. But it closed at .30 and the trend is up.

Another one to watch right now is MJNA. Same trend as PHOT.

I enjoy dabbling with the penny stocks. But like Bumble Bee said. "Do your own research."

The illegal growers and sellers will still be in business, still trying to beat the system. They will be able to undercut the legal prices. In 2-3 years the BATF will become the Bureau of Marijuana, Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. Look up the statistics on illegal tobacco sales in New York. High jacking truck loads of cigarettes and putting forged tax stamps on them is a major problem. No tax is paid on forged stamps. Lower prices than legal ones and higher profits.

The illegal growers and sellers will still be in business, still trying to beat the system. They will be able to undercut the legal prices. In 2-3 years the BATF will become the Bureau of Marijuana, Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. Look up the statistics on illegal tobacco sales in New York. High jacking truck loads of cigarettes and putting forged tax stamps on them is a major problem. No tax is paid on forged stamps. Lower prices than legal ones and higher profits.
Where did you get your crystal ball? I need one for the power ball and stock market predictions.

Guest tx2sturgis

The last verse or stanza of John Denver's Rocky Mountain High (Colorado):

It's Colorado rocky mountain high

I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky

Friends around the campfire and everybody's high

Rocky mountain high

Mr Denver, How did you know?

:think:

I have said they should legalize it for years! I am not a user but would become one if a medical condition required it. This is just like alcohol everything in moderation. As there are many things I feel legalizing would eliminate I am sure it will also bring it's challenges.

I am of mixed opinion on the issue. To me it is like a Pandora's box. Legalization is likely not going to be a complete solution to a problem. It may lead to easing some current societal pressures but it may lead to other unintended / unforeseen issues.

As for cost / benefit - as previous posters have stated, that is also uncertain - we may move the cost equation around but I feel that there still we societal costs. Will the costs be more or less bearable than now - I don't think anyone really knows. Having people in prison for minor indiscretion also does not seem right. so perhaps I may be slightly for legalization. Basically you can't legislate morality. Everyone has a world view and level of moral persuasion with which to make a choice. Hopefully parents, friends and persons of influence will provide adequate guidance during formative years so that you make more right than wrong choices.

As for misuse, that is going to be a continual human failing. The medical profession brought us oxycontin. As intended it probably was a good thing for those in unbearable pain and whose life situation was imminently terminal. However the docs here in Canada started handing it out like candy. I think this was just to shut up whinny patients. My mother got hooked on this stuff - it made her addicted with all the addiction problems starting to show up. So now she is hooked - oxycontin now cannot be dispensed in Canada but they have some other substitute which she takes - maybe not as bad as the oxy but still seems to me addictive. So I guess this is a long winded way of saying even the experts fail at responsible handling. Perhaps if my mother was prescribed med marijuana she would have stopped whining and sucked it up, as she had no condition that causes unbearable levels of pain but periods of some discomfort. Now she is hooked and the docs and drug companies are happy.

When they build the regs and rules maybe they should allow you to grow it in your garden as well. Why should the companies in the government circle be given a legal cartel / monopoly. Note that I could grow grapes / fruit and make my own wine or beer if I chose and do it legally.

Since a responsible person can have a drink or two without getting high or impaired, I must vote against pot use, since the only reason I have heard of to smoke pot is to get high. Not counting the "medical" reasons.

Just as alcohol, there is certain levels of inebriation in pot use. And just as alcohol, although you may not feel impaired after only a couple, there is many studies that show that even 2 beers, 2 glasses of wine, etc, can impair you even though you don't think so. Just as with pot, you can smoke or eat a small amount and just be relaxed as you would with 2 beers. And then of course you can smoke or eat a lot and become extremely impaired just as drinking 10 beers. Different kind of impairment of course, but there are different levels of impairment with each substance.