IGNORED

Diesel Truck ?

GolfVenture

I'm researching into an older Diesel Truck. I've never owned a diesel vehicle and so would appreciate all you diesel truck owners honest opinion and experiences.

I'm thinking around the year 2000 give or take a couple of years with about 100K miles. I do not have a preference wheather it is a Chev, Dodge, Ford or GMC. I just would like to know the make and year that has proven to be a good solid vehicle with mininual defects.

My preferences are:

6 passenger truck where the passenger has its own doors.

Automatic V8.

Half Ton if one is made but 3/4 will do.

No Duelies rear axle.

Haven't decided 4 wheel drive or not.

Fuel Injection

Your recommendations apprediated.

Quote: My preferences are:..........Fuel Injection

FYI All diesel engines in your chosen category are fuel injected, and driven by an expensive mechanical pump.

A used Diesel truck can break the bank if you don't know what you are doing, so bring money, lots of it, and have more money in reserve.

With that said, think Dodge as it is likely the better choice in your year 2000 category. It has the Cummins engine which is excellent.

The Ford Powerstroke was popular and really pretty good, but I think the Cummins lasts longer before repairs.

These trucks don't get very good fuel economy so be prepared at the pump. I don't think they are cost effective unless doing long haul heavy duty use such as towing/carrying something heavy on a regular basis that requires lots of torque for proper handling.

Good luck, as you will need it.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

This is my diesel $0.02 the Cummins gets the best mileage 19-22 depending on rearend and is very dependable the only problem is the rest of the truck is a dodge. The Ford 7.3 is pretty solid, the 6.0, and 6.4, has some problems that can be eliminated by getting the emissions crap eliminated at a 3-5000$ price tag. I would not buy a GM pre 2003 diesel but the duramax is a good one. Just do a lot of research and buy from a knowlagable seller that will save many headaches. :mo money::fingers-crossed-emo

Guest tx2sturgis

I've driven 3,000,000 miles in commercial (diesel) trucks and you could not GIVE me a passenger type diesel vehicle.

For commercial trucking, nothing is better than a diesel.

For an around-town grocery-getter, nothing is worse.

Good luck.

:icon_lurker:

I have been driving my 2001 Dodge diesel for over 10 years with little or no problems. It replaced a Chevy with a 454 that achieved a 6 mpg average. The diesel gets between 15 and 18 mpg. The diesels come in the 3/4 and one ton models and both can be had with single rear wheels. Each manufacturer has their strong and weak points and it pays to know each when shopping. None of the early models had an automatic transmission that could withstand the torque of the diesel. Chevy was the first to improve with the Allison auto, Ford and then Dodge upgraded later.

The first Duramax (Chevy) had some head cracking and injector problems, corrected in 2005 or 6 if memory serves me right. The late model Fords 6.7 have a serious problem with an engine oil cooler that can require a complete engine replacement as a result.

There will be strong opinions voiced, both pro and con. I am very happy with my Dodge Cummins and expect it to exceed 300,000 miles on the clock. The auto transmission has required an upgrade (pull a trailer that can exceed 20,000 lbs) but since I do my own repairs this has not been that expensive.

Short trips and daily commuting can be a mileage stabber and cold weather starting and warm up will add time to your trips. Fuel at 60 cents more per gallon can bring your travel costs up to exceed a gas powered vehicle. Repairs are much more expensive than gas engines but durability, power and longevity are a real plus. As with any vehicle, a knowledge of the required maintenance requirements and the desire to follow them, on the required intervals, will eliminate many of the problems that some experience.

Good luck,

If you are looking for a good truck around 2000, I would go with the Ford F250 or F350 SRW. The 7.3 is the best diesel motor Ford ever made, and it's almost indestructible. The Cummins Diesel is really the best diesel, but as someone has already said, the rest of a Dodge Truck is junk. I have a 2001 F250 Crew Cab with the 5.4 gas motor, and I love it. A diesel motor is made to work, not sit. The expenses are higher with a diesel, but if taken care of, they should last longer.

Here is a web site that I am a member of, and have been for several years. It's a forum like this, but it's all Ford Trucks, and they have almost 729,000 members, a lot of them are Ford employees, former employees, mechanics, and good people. This is by far the best Ford Truck web site out there, and I am a member of at least 10 or more truck and car web sites. If you want to learn about Ford's, this is it. Good luck.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/

I drove my Triple "D", as I called it, '96 Diesel, Dodge Dulley many years exceeding the CGVW often. That thing was a workhorse. I put 250,000 miles on it, my only issue was replacing the automatic transmission at 125k. Others were blowing up turbos and injector pumps, I never had an issue. We parted ways when I rear ended a semi in stop and go traffic. His trailer damaged my front end and my trailer damaged the rear end. Combined damage totaled the truck.

Used for their intended purpose, they are awesome. As a grocery getter, their are better choices.

I have a 96 Dodge 3/4 ton with CUmmins and a manual. It is the older of the cummins and is a 12 valve motor. A couple years later they went to a 24 valve head. Mine has 110000 and I bought it used from a fellow that pulled a fifth wheel camper with it. When I got it had about 90k I think. Only real problem I could say I have is the plastic dash is completly cracking and falling apart. But I think no matter what truck you had if it sits in the Fla sunshine like mine it would have the same effect.

My milage is 12-14 around town I would guess, I dont usually fill it up around town as it sits alot. Highway last trip I drove it to Alabama I got 20+ under 75 and about 18-19 running 75> with cruise. Once the RPMs get over its happy spot the milage goes down quickly.

There is a few of the Ford motors that you defiantly want to stay away from. You will have to research as I'm not completly sure. But they had serious head problems and crank problems on a different sized one. And they allways sound like they are trying to throw a rod IMOP. Most seem to be happy with the Duramax. Definatly dont buy one prior to those engines, they just didnt have a good record. Like was said kind of depends on what your plans for it are. I can tell you that Dodge jut started making a 1/2 ton with a deisel but I'll bet that bugger is out of the price range you want to spend. Probably in the 33k range. But a good used 3/4 aint going to be cheap. Happy hunting.

Edited by djh3

Personally I would prefer a gas job in a pickup truck. Once you do get into maintenance be prepared to crack open the piggy bank, Gas engines are much cheaper to maintain and tend to require very little. fuel economy is not much different.

Having said that however stay away from the early 6.6 Duramax. They have a lot of injector and fuel pump problems. At one point we were replacing injectors on 2-3 trucks a week. Easy way to spot the early model from the later model is by the valve cover. In the early model the injector was under the valve cover which required valve cover removal to replace.

In the later model the head and valve cover were redesigned so that the injector could be replaced without removing the valve cover. Ironically this model was not plagued with injector issues the way the earlier one was. As a matter of fact we rarely see them come to the shop.

Also as pointed out earlier regardless which diesel truck you get make sure the engine is backed up with the Alison transmission.

Only setback on diesel is when it is very cold , they gell. We actually had a section of highway shut down because of gelling, and some diesel cars and trucks that would not run. Typically adding K1 and or some other additives will help. The 03 Chevy truck went through several diesel injectors and they are not cheap. Regular maintenance is a bit more expensive. When they run they run very well and can pull a ton.

Dodge is putting a diesel in their 1500 trucks and some cars because of the Cafe standards. I know in some countries the cars are almost all diesel. My neighbor runs a diesel car and made a waste oil mod that allows him to burn both fuels, it has a heater in his second tank and he told me he needs to switch to regular diesel before shutting down.

Guest tx2sturgis
USUALLY, though not always, Diesel fuel is more expensive

And of course some late model diesel vehicles use DEF...not that expensive, but just add it to all the other costs.

Diesel makes sense if your going to do WORK with it.

If you want a diesel passenger vehicle or light truck for personal use...be prepared for a greater expense per mile then the gasoline equivalent.

My 2 cents (x 1000's!)

:happy34:

As mentioned many times above. It all depends on what you will use it for. Diesels like to work hard gas don't. I just bought a new to me truck last spring, I did a lot of research into a diesel.

Pros

Slightly better MPG.

Will run forever with proper care and feeding.

Lots of bottom end torque to get things moving.

MPG does not drop much when loaded heavy.

Cons

Higher fuel cost resulting in more $ per mile.

Higher maintenance cost.

Does not like being used as a daily driver with no load.

Cold weather issues.

Diesel fuel really stinks, and does not easily wash out of clothes if you spill some.

Noisy, they all sound like a box of rocks when running.

I ended up getting a 2011, Chevy 1500, Extended Cab, 4 door, 8' Box, 5.3L gas, 6 speed automatic, 4x4, and it was even Red. I found this one used, 2 years old, with only 8500 on the clock, for half the cost of new. It does everything that I need a truck to do.

And of course some late model diesel vehicles use DEF...not that expensive, but just add it to all the other costs.

Diesel makes sense if your going to do WORK with it.

If you want a diesel passenger vehicle or light truck for personal use...be prepared for a greater expense per mile then the gasoline equivalent.

My 2 cents (x 1000's!)

And of course like all emissions systems the SCR system comes with its own special brand of problems. At work we have opened up exhaust/DEF systems were due to dosing problems the inside of the exhaust system was left looking like it got hit by an arctic snow storm and plugged up solid with dried up DEF.

Guest tx2sturgis

Noisy, they all sound like a box of rocks when running.

Personally, I like the sound of a big old rattling Cat engine in a truck. Piston slap in coffeecan sized cylinders is one thing...but on small mommy-cars, its another matter.

I have a friend who just bought a new diesel VW sedan. I have no idea which model.

You would never know its a diesel when you hear it idling...its very quiet and gas-like. And pretty peppy on the road, with decent range also.

He bought it for commuting, and they gave him a good deal. He will be putting lots of highway miles on it, so it kinda makes sense.

And the Europeans have made progress in small diesels...things might be looking up for the passenger cars with small oil-burners.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
And of course like all emissions systems the SCR system comes with its own special brand of problems. At work we have opened up exhaust/DEF systems were due to dosing problems the inside of the exhaust system was left looking like it got hit by an arctic snow storm and plugged up solid with dried up DEF.

Not to mention the DPF's...them things aint cheap! And DEF can freeze...

But, the exhaust that comes out of our 'Clean Idle' class 8 semis is now cleaner than the air that goes in. They actually help scrub the air in polluted cities!

i had a 94 f250 with the 7.3 idi deiesel in it i got 24 mpg on the hwy and 21 in the city keept it maintained oil change every 5 k only had to change the injectors once at 157 k i put 450 k on the clock and when i sold it it was still running strong i just wish i never sold it maint was high on it but i did most of my own on it and loved the truck but as others have stated it has its pros and cons do your research on it before you buy and mine was used for work almost every day pulling 20 k or better

Regarding 2 wheel drive or 4X4, Diesel engines are very heavy and all of that weight is on the front axel. I have had to pull the 4X4 lever on level ground because the grass was wet.:doh: In 4X4 it will go through a lot of snow.:snow2:

I love my 1996 cummins 5.9L 12 valve mechanical because loud diesel knock saves lives.:rotf:

Not to mention the DPF's...them things aint cheap! And DEF can freeze...

But, the exhaust that comes out of our 'Clean Idle' class 8 semis is now cleaner than the air that goes in. They actually help scrub the air in polluted cities!

This may be true....But Ohhhhh the headaches, every day I dread going into work knowing I will be faced with more frustrated semi drivers...and who can blame them:bang head:

I have had 2 Dodge quad cab 1500's , I now have a Dodge crew cab 2500.

Those have been gas and work very well, the 2500 pulls trailers MUCH better! not even a comparison so if in doubt go big here. They make single wheel 3500's and the difference is more than suspension and breaks, heaver = lower gas mileage no matter what engine.

The Crew cab has the most leg room and you can take a trip with full sized people, no problems. The quad cab can get cramped, all the manufacturers have crew cabs. I would suggest the crew hands down.

I have had 2 wheel drive trucks and I will not buy anything but 4 wheel drive. My reasons are hunting, boating and winter snow. It is awesome when you need it, and you will need it.

It depends on how much and how often you will pull your trailer. Many gas engines will do fine but eat gas. On the other side if it is infrequent the trade off might be worth sticking to gas.

Happy hunting and pictures

2006 and earlier do not have the particulate filter, They are a bit louder and do not require the def fluids. They are easy to modify the power, with plug and play modules. I have owned a 99 cummins 2500 std trans 4x4 (edge chip with intake and exhaust mods), and a 06 Harley Davidson F250 4x4 powerstroke (Banks six gun module with intake and exhaust mods). The dodge had unbelievable low end torque, a true work horse of a pickup. The powerstroke crazy fast, however it did not tow as well(my opinion) cummins took 12 quarts of oil to change and the ford took 16 quarts with a $20 filter and you had to use ford oil. That is the regular maintence, and it does add up fast. put lots of miles on both, and enjoyed them both. I did not need eather one, but they were fun.

Bill:cool10:

Guest tx2sturgis
2006 and earlier do not have the particulate filter, They are a bit louder and do not require the def fluids.

Myself and a couple others took a detour into talking about late model, commercial, class 8 trucks.

I wasnt trying to imply that older, light diesel trucks used expensive DPF's.

BTW...its not unusual for DPFs to cost between $2000 and $5000 for a semi.

Yes, its a FILTER!

:yikes: