IGNORED

Don't have a clue/Need input

SummerBreeze

OK, so when I retired the wife and I talked about seeing the USA on an extended round trip tour persay. We purchased a fith wheel camper and a Duramax to tow it with. As you know we have since purchased the 96 RSTC an would like to take it with us as it would multiply the enjoyment factor by leeps and bounds. Question is does anyone have any recomendations as to the best way to carry it on the back of the fithwheel since I don't want to tow a trailer behind a trailer. Any feed back is welcome.

There are specialized carriers made just for that but beware of the cheap ones! We went to northern Indiana last weekend to look at a sidecar rig, on the way home there was a truck/fifthwheel on the shoulder with a motorcycle carrier broken off on one side. Have it professionally installed by the manufacturer is possible and buy a warranty extension if offered and covered any where in US.

Here is an option;

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html

Edited by Bob Myers

Lets see the venture weighs 806 dry weight. They make a 1000 pound hitch carrier. I would beef it up after getting it to make sure it would be up to the task. Maybe attach it on both ends underneath also to help with the safety factor and piece of mind. Having roughly 850 lbs hanging on the back of your fifth-wheel you'll have to pack it accordingly. If your wife packs like mine that extra kitchen sink can go up front.:whistling::D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000-LB-MOTORCYCLE-DIRT-BIKE-HITCH-CARRIER-HAULER-W-LOADING-RAMP-CARGO-BASKET-/360793047335

The ones I have seen moslty are reciever type. I wouldnt put a scooter on one. They simply wobble in the single point of the reciever. There are some I have seen that attach in 2 places on the bumper of trailer and have a ramp I assume to get the bike up. I havent seen anyone load or unload on from it.

I had a ramp and carrier made for my vulcan since it only weighed 525 or so and i could drive it up the ramp, while walking beside it. When i finally got my venture royale (an 88) i did not want to try the same trick. Too heavy! I found a used electric carrier for cheap. ($1000) I did have to have the cross pieces shortened by 5 inches because my two receivers were welded to the engine rails on my bus conversion. Once installed it works great. Pull the bike onto the carrier while lowered, tie it down, then raise it into position and lock it up. I then pull a grand cherokee behind it. I have had no problems with it as yet. If you just look around used lifts are available. Just be aware that no warranty goes with a used unit.

Good Morning: The combination of traveling with a camper and bike would be awesome. However if I were going to do so I would invest in a toy hauler designed for the task rather than retrofitting your 5th wheel camper. In my opinion a Venture is too heavy for hanging on the back of another camper.

A local friend who has never trailered his bike just sold his large rarely used 5th wheel camper and purchased a smaller used 18' factory bumper pull self contained enclosed trailer for $6500. Not as plush as a conventional 5th wheel but it will allow them to easily and safely haul their bike to the long destinations and ride when they get there. They are hoping to get more use out of this smaller trailer than their large 5th wheel.

Maybe you could rent a toy hauler? Try it out for a week or two to see if you like the combination over your conventional 5th wheel? If so work a trade with a camper dealer.

Your idea of having both worlds sounds like a great idea. :)

New Horizons fifth wheel offers a motorcycle lift on some of their models. It's the only company I have seen that does. Most other fifth wheel trailers don't have a strong enough frame to support the added weight of the lift and a bike the size of an RSV.

http://www.horizonsrv.com/craftmanship/hydra-lift-motorcycle-lift

Here is another option but again, it would require that the fifth wheel frame is strong enough to support the tongue weight of this trailer. I've seen a few variations of this design but they all use the same attaching principles with some kind of swivel wheel assembly or steerable axle system. One friend of mine has a system like this that even has an air bag to change the caster of the trailer axle from positive to negative in order to back up. BIG $$$$. And he still had to have his high dollar fifth wheel frame reinforced in order to take the weight.

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheelfaq.html

Edited by Gary N.

Guest tx2sturgis

I agree with Phoneman and GaryN.

Normal fifth-wheel trailers are usually designed to be light and easy to pull, not strong. Failures could happen if you overload the back and it wont be cheap if it does. (large motorcoaches are built heavier so they can usually use a rear lift with no problem)

I would look at trading for a toy-hauler type, if its anywhere within your budget. By the time you pay for the lift and pay to have the frame strengthened, you might as well apply that money to the toy-hauler.

Plus a toy-hauler will allow you to bring along other types of small vehicles, should the circumstances change. Bicycles, golf carts, ATV's, snowmobiles, you name it.

Good luck.

Here's the other one I was trying to think of this morning. My friend has this and tows two bikes on it behind his fifth wheel. He also has two roll back aluminum ramps meant for a pickup bed installed on top of it. He had to have the frame on the fifth wheel beefed up in order to safely hook up this trailer.

http://www.idahotote.com/

Guest tx2sturgis
Here's the other one I was trying to think of this morning. My friend has this and tows two bikes on it behind his fifth wheel. He also has two roll back aluminum ramps meant for a pickup bed installed on top of it. He had to have the frame on the fifth wheel beefed up in order to safely hook up this trailer.

http://www.idahotote.com/

Gary, thats a cool solution for ATVs, or golfcarts, but I would not want to strap a large touring bike sideways to it. The fore and aft pitching for thousands of miles might be very rough on the frame and other attachment points on the bike.

Not to mention the cost...with the ramp, and installing the supports and beefing up the frame, the cost could go way over $10,000...which would go a long way towards either a regular trailer or a trade-in for a toy-hauler.

Just my 2 cents and not worth much since I dont own one and cant speak from experience, just speculation.

Gary, thats a cool solution for ATVs, or golfcarts, but I would not want to strap a large touring bike sideways to it. The fore and aft pitching for thousands of miles might be very rough on the frame and other attachment points on the bike.

Not to mention the cost...with the ramp, and installing the supports and beefing up the frame, the cost could go way over $10,000...which would go a long way towards either a regular trailer or a trade-in for a toy-hauler.

Just my 2 cents and not worth much since I dont own one and cant speak from experience, just speculation.

Most of the hydraulic lifts put the bike sideways and don't seem to be an issue once strapped down. My friend has the longer version of the Idaho Tote and puts his bikes on front to back like normal. But I agree, way to much $$$ for the average person.

Got the same issue, We have the truck and 5th wheel trailer, and no way to bring the bike. I have no issues pulling a second trailer, but in some areas you aren't allowed to pull two trailers. I think the toy hauler is the way to go

Yeow!! That's a lot of money for two wheels, a diamond plate bed, a gimbaled axel, and some miscellaneous. :mo money: You can get a really nice used 2ndGen Venture for less..... And... I've seen some really nice Toy Hauler trailers for a little bit more.....

Than there's always one of these...... :mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money:

Guest tx2sturgis
There's a company in Russia that is starting to offer small submarine-type nuclear reactors for sale as mini electric power plants. I'm waiting to see one show up in a motor coach.

:cool10:

I've scoured ebay and craigslist and just cant come up with a nuclear reactor for sale....you got a link?

:whistling:

Guest tx2sturgis

Hey, not endorsing this listing in any way but for a bit more than that platform contraption you could pull one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2013-21RR-Like-19RR-Lite-Toy-Hauler-Travel-Trailer-Camper-for-Sale-Cheap-RV-/181264836869?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a3439e905&item=181264836869&pt=RVs_Campers

:happy34:

(scroll way down the listing for pics)

Looking at , reading and listening to all the feedback is very informative. I took a serious look at the frameing on my fith wheel and have decided (for safty sake) that a trailer is the safest option since my set up is paid for. Talking to the wife we are considering looking for someone that has a toy hauler and possibley trading. Either way it is exciting.

This site and you are all awsome. We went today and got a larger US map and a new atlas. plan right now is to do 250 to 350 miles a day and use the bike to see the sites then choose the next direction and go again. The coolest thing is we are not in a hurry to get anywhere and not in a hurry to get back. Oh yea how can I find out where is is ilegal to tow a trailer behind my fithwheel?Don't want to go anywhere I am not welcome if you know what I mean. A good friend told me once it is OK to think about tomorrow as long as you live life to the fullest today, good advise don't you think.

...One other idea is you ride the bike and your wife pulls the trailer :think:

Brad

Good Luck with that one BradT. I made that suggestion to my wife one time. Never again!!!!

I actually convinced my wife to do that for the 2013 IR in Galena, altho it was with a minivan and a small pop-up trailer. But she did have 3 kids all alone with her while I was blissfully riding my bike.

-Andrew

p.s. I think I still owe her a LOT for that...