IGNORED

2nd gen muffler questions

1BigDog

I currently have the drilled out pre cat RK mufflers on my 99. I am not too happy with them but the stock muffs are way too quiet. So, my question is for those who have run different mufflers is: which muffler sounds different then the HD mufflers. I am looking for a throatier sound, not necessarily louder if you know what I mean. Bubs sound nice but they flake chrome too easily. I havent heard many different mufflers other then the RK's and Bubs and im looking for opinions on different sounds from different mufflers. So basically, if you have ever compared RK muffs to other brands, id like to know about it.

Thanks.....Jeff:smile5:

Never mind.....I just remembered YouTube videos and went through a bunch of them. Only one that really stands out is the Vance and Hines Monster ovals and unless someone on Ebay parts with a used set at a reasonable price ill just keep my RK's for now.

I have just stock RK muffs. I run them for a few months, then get tired of the racket and put the Yamaha OEMs back on for awhile. The vance and hines I head on vids do sound nice. But like you I wouldnt want to refinance my house for a pair either. Keep an eye on craigs list, you may get lucky.

I have SE HD touring pipes on mine right now. They have a nice sound at idle but don't have enough Bass/Burble at speed, they sound tinny. I've looked at the V&H monster ovals but the best I've found is $400 used. As a joke I threw my buddy's Reinharts of His SE Ultra Classic and they sounded just as my current SE pipes, great at idle but thin and tinny at speed.

We just don't have enough CC going to the pipes to get the deep rumble.

I have just stock RK muffs. I run them for a few months, then get tired of the racket and put the Yamaha OEMs back on for awhile. The vance and hines I head on vids do sound nice. But like you I wouldnt want to refinance my house for a pair either. Keep an eye on craigs list, you may get lucky.

I do the same. I am going to put the stock muffs on tomorrow. By the time spring rolls around ill need louder pipes the the RK's go back on. With the higher revving engine as a result of the Vmax rear I think the "tinny" sound is driving me nuts sooner.

Did they have a set of Reinharts on the sound clip? I kind of liked the sound of them...

:2cents:

No sound clip that I was able to find but I do like the sound of them on on a Harley.....

The V/H monster ovals had the nicest sound, even at speed but I aint gonna mortgage the house for a set either. That is unless Eck wants to add to his future inheritance..........

Those that have, or have had RK pipes...do you NOT like them?? What are you NOT happy with. I have a brand new set, never used and was going to put them on. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks

I have the RK slash cuts, I like them alot, They are not loud just give the bike a mellow tone. If you want loud, they probably arent the way to go. Some guys drill them out, I never thought that sound was too pleasing. I had a set of Samson fishtails, they were beautiful pipes, nice shape and great chrome. They sounded sweet idling but way too loud for me while cruising. I aint into loud pipes.

Craig

I have the RK slash cuts, I like them alot, They are not loud just give the bike a mellow tone. If you want loud, they probably arent the way to go. Some guys drill them out, I never thought that sound was too pleasing. I had a set of Samson fishtails, they were beautiful pipes, nice shape and great chrome. They sounded sweet idling but way too loud for me while cruising. I aint into loud pipes.

Craig

Thanks Craig,

My Vulcan has V&H long shots which are loud. For the RSV, just looking or a slight more rumble or deeper tone. Was just getting opinions on RK, because I hav pipes new sitting still in garage. Should have been on 2-3 months ago. Keep getting sidetracked with other obligations.

So if we can use stock HD mufflers, we can also use any slip on for a HD touring bike or is it Road King specifically ? I've looked on ebay and there are many options if that's the case as I too am looking to do this in the spring

Any Harley touring chassis from I believe the mid 80's through 2008. The best bet is finding pipes from the late 90's through 2005 because they do not have the emissions catalyitic converter like the later models.

Any of the aftermarket slip-ons that fits a STOCK HD head pipe will also work.

On my RSV, I tried a few recommended ones.

Bought one set new and sold them the next week,,, loud tin to my ears,, liked by others.

Ended up getting a set of Road Kings from this site.

They add just enough to get past the sewing machine noises, but no headache after several hours of riding. I mean,,,, it is a touring bike.

Got Baron's 4-2-4's on my RSTD. In Love the V-4 sound!! Love to crack it when I'm at a stop, or let the wife know I'm home.

But after a day's ride on it, my ears have that sound for a few hours. Hey,,, it's my solo bike.

Edited by Mike G in SC

• 2 months later...