IGNORED

Buying a branded title 2007 VRS

Kernal

Currently looking at a 07 RSV for $4000 and has 29000 for mileage. Test drove it and it runs great. Even had a much more experienced rider and owner of several Ventures take it for a spin as well and would became jealous if I did buy it.

Why so cheap? Well it has a branded title. There is strong evidence of road rash on the right side lower fairing and both grinding on lower crash bars. It also has scuff marks on the left front fairing as well-more to a brushing against something issue. I had read a thread that it doesn't take much to total out a bike these days and because a police report was filed on the accident I guess that is what happened.

I have friends and relatives that are skilled in cosmetic repair and am not worried about that. However, there are many issues with the branded title. Just needed to see what you all thought.

Resale seems to be the biggest issue....is that anything else I should look at be for I make the decision? :confused24:

Well here is my opinion. Due to the cost of replacing plastic and other parts on these bikes, I've seen many of the totaled over what I thought was fairly minor damage. It sounds like you have tested it out well enough to know that there is no bent frame, forks, etc.

That being said, It would not bother me at all to buy and ride the bike. You will NOT get a good resale on it but heck...look what you are paying for it to start with?

The only real problem is that if and when you do decide to sell it, you may find your buyers market limited to only those who can afford to pay cash. I'm told that many financial institutions will not loan money on a vehicle with a salvage title.

Find out more about the accident that it was in. Many bikes are totaled with only cosmetic damage. BUT if any of the suspension was damaged and repaired you would want to look closely at the frame mounting points for damage or repair. With damage to both sides there is a possibility that the bike tumbled and could have hidden structural damage.

Also check you state laws as to what is involved if you were to try to resell it some day.

I am not saying to stay away from it, just do your homework and check things out throughly. It is easy to fall in love with something and overlook things that should not be overlooked.

I have bought a few CrashToy bikes in the past and they all said they were branded. They only had minor replacement parts issues which I fixed. When I got the title it was NOT branded.

What I had to do after the repairs were made is take it to a designated inspection facility and have them look at it, show them the receipts for the parts I bought and he checked the numbers to see if I replaced the frame or the motor. Oh ya paid fee for this folly and got my title free and clear.

The guy that repaired yours must have done the same thing.

Not sure if there is any way to clean the title, but I have heard that people register it in other states that have looser controls on the "branding" of title and it comes back clean.

I gotta believe the insurance companies keep track of this stuff. I know they share info of claims. At least they do on house claims.

If you plan on keeping it a while I wouldn't worry about it. You will get your money out of it at $4000.

Best of luck on your decision.

Bubber :missingtooth:

The big reason it was totaled is the cost that Y charges for replacement plastic. It doesn't take much to rack up the repair bucks. Even if it's nothing more than road rash the insurance company will only replace with new. However if it's only light cosmetic and you can fill and finish (FIY), it's a great price, but if you plan on replacing the damage with used, take a hard look at what sellers are charging for undamaged plastic. You still might end up paying more than you could buy a used one for in nice condition. I paid $6000 for an '07 in very nice condition, albeit did have some miles on it. That's only 2 grand more, and I didn't have to do a thing.

"Branded Title" simply means it has some 'remarks' on it. Those marks could read 'Salvaged' or 'Odometer Mileage Unknown'. The DOL must (by law since 1996) put something on the title if a legal or crash issue is known to them.

It is true that a 'Branded Title' vehicle will have a resale issue of price because the buyer will be suspicious.......and should be with all the flood damaged vehicle out there being dried off and sold.

'Branding' is a means to assist the innocent buyer in making a good choice.

Never will any of the remarks indicate the bike is 'excellent'....now wouldn't that be a nice 'branding to have?

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

I have also bought branded, salvage title vehicles. the rule of thumb is they should cost about 60% of book value. The bank loaned me monies to buy the vehicles with money down and good credit. When you sell, expect about the same 60% of low side of the book. If you are going to ride it for a while, heck have some fun with your low buck toy, run the value out of it for a few years and turn it for another one. I usually buy in the fall and sell in the spring 12 to 24 months later for about what I paid. Your on the right track. Good luck!

Bill:080402gudl_prv:

Here are the photos I promised. Orlin Engh was the individual that assisted on the test drive. He is also a member on this site and an experienced Venture rider and knows his way around the ins and outs of what to look for. Those that know Orlin, when he speaks of these things....you should listen. He is also my brother in law.....yah he's okay.

Anyway, once you look these over let me know what you think....it's only cosmetics as Orlin said, "a little lipstick and some rouge, as she'll look pretty".

Thanks for all the advice, this is a great site.

Steve:cool10: