IGNORED

47mpg

Went for a 270 mile round trip day trip into the Cascade Mtns. of WA today in great weather, and my '88VR (52,500miles) achieved 47mpg with two-up load over three passes. Even passed a few trucks going uphill. Odometer confirmed by GPS.

If your bike can't deliver same, it needs work....

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Went for a 270 mile round trip day trip into the Cascade Mtns. of WA today in great weather, and my '88VR (52,500miles) achieved 47mpg with two-up load over three passes. Even passed a few trucks going uphill. Odometer confirmed by GPS.

If your bike can't deliver same, it needs work....

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Nobody likes a bragger.

:buttkick:

:rotfl:

:sign It wasnt me:

Gary

Ya done good.

The best I have done was 50 mpg going from about 1,300 feet up over 6,000 feet going from Asheville to Cherokee and back to Asheville on the BRP. I wasn't behind a 2nd gen, but I had one behind me that I had to go slow not to loose him.

Is there anything you have done that you want to share with us?

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

Is there anything you have done that you want to share with us?

Bike is bone stock, and I use cruise when I can, drive couple mph over the posted limit... but I have been keeping up on tuning, valve adjustments, spark plug gap, carb specs adhered to, synched, and idle mixture set as perfectly as I can etc.

My test to confirm/check my work is placing the back of my hand 2 inches from the end of the muffler to 'feel' the heat, and if cool enough to keep my hand there as long as I want, then it is running right. If I need to jerk my hand away because of heat, then the carbs are off, either rich or lean, and that causes unburned fuel to combust in the exhaust system causing excess heat. I suppose I could use my non-contact infrared thermometer, but then I'd need to put a new battery in it.

I can also 'smell' the exhaust that clings to the back of my hand for indications of unburned fuel, and when my hand smells clean, I know the bike is good. There really is something to those super tuners that can stand behind a car/mc and smell how it is running......

BTW, I'm not braggin'......simply confirming where the standard is, and trying to raise the bar. I'm on the hunt for 51mpg two-up..........in the mountains.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Great performance. A loaded weight might be more accurate. Wife and myself are both getting larger. What happened to shrinking with age? We can't pull over 41mpg with 40 being the norm. Do know that I have a float needle,seat, problem. When bike sets overnite fuel pump replenishes bowls that seem empty. Good Job Pete!!!

I can pull mid to upper 40's if I watch my speed and right hand while on long, continuous rides. But I'm usually riding in TRUE city conditions, 25-30 mph with MANY stoplights that seem to be timed to catch you at all of them. That and short rides (under 10 miles) with the engine cooled down between them means I'm not running at optimum conditions. I usually pull mid 30's because of that. Still beats the upper teens of my van tho.

Wish I could pull out & cruise the mountains, got to go a long ways to leave the city and the flatter lands of the midwest. Congrats on the fine-running bike.

-Andrew

Do not really know what mine gets but I when travelling with a small group, I average $1.00 to $1.10 more at every fill stop than they do. Plugs come out looking very clean despite having almost 30,000 KM on them. Exhaust pipe does indicate a rich mixture since the edges of the pipe are somewhat sooty. However the darn thing runs like a dream. It starts at the touch of a button, runs as smooth as a baby's butt, both at Idle or full throttle and goes like a bat outa H***. Even lifts the front wheel a bit when driving hard (and foolish) when I shift into second gear. It will even pull away from a stand still in third gear (Don't ask). For all those reasons I don't want to mess with it.