IGNORED

A Dog Question

Squidley

As some of you may remember, Lonna and I rescued 5 pups about 4 months ago. 3 of them (well actually all 5) found good homes. We have 2 of them, the female Rot (Pink) and the Male (Brownie) We decided that we didn't want puppies out of Pink, and Brown is kinda a bit backwoods as I feared he wouldn't hesitate to get it on with his sister

:yikes:

So today we took Pink to get spayed as she is just over 6 months old and to my understanding this is about the minimum age that they can be spayed safely. I have to say that I have never had an animal spayed or neutered, so I dont really know whats common for them as they are recovering from being under anesthesia. Pink is very tired and still seems sleepy, she has thrown up 5 times since we got her home about 5pm and really hasn't eaten anything since 8 pm last night.

My question to y'all that have had female dogs that you had fixed, is this somewhat normal behavior for this procedure? I know every human and animal comes out of being put under differently. I probably wouldn't be too happy either. She's in a bit of pain as she is moving slow, but all her sutures look good and she's not whining or whimpering, just really tired and not eating.

Lonna and I have decided that if she doesn't start to eat something by the morning (she did lap up a very little bit of milk) we are going to get some additional vet help. I just wanted to get a feel from the brethren and perhaps put our minds to ease a bit. Hate to see my little girl hurting :(

It takes a good 24 hours for the anesthesia to completely wear off.

Spayed is actually a pretty major surgery, they remove all parts of the reproductive system. It will take at least 6 months to completely heal. For the first week she will be very sore.

Tomorrow she should be more willing to eat, but keep it light for at least the first day.

The vet should have given you a sheet of post surgery instructions.

Thanks fellas, we did get a sheet of the post surgery, but I just wanted to get an idea from folks that have had this performed on their pups. She's a bit more into it this morning, but still hasn't really eaten anything. I appreciate y'all's input

:thumbsup2:

Squidley,

Like the others state, 2-3 days is normal for the pup to get back to somewhat normal. My girl was 6 months old when we fixed her and it was about 2 days. I wouldn't be overly concerned until perhaps day 3-4-5 if she isn't eating, drinking and moving about.

Squidley,

Like the others state, 2-3 days is normal for the pup to get back to somewhat normal. My girl was 6 months old when we fixed her and it was about 2 days. I wouldn't be overly concerned until perhaps day 3-4-5 if she isn't eating, drinking and moving about.

What he said.......:smile5:

Your pup will come around sqiud. She just needs time to heal. Like someone else posted just watch her licking on the wound. If it looks like its getting puffy and red then a dog coller that will stop her from licking it will be needed. That is major surgery for a dog and i now i felt just as bad as our dog did after it. She will be ok and that was the esponsable way to go.:backinmyday:

I had Maybelle; my English Retriever; spayed in July 2/12. I, too, was a bit concerned due her feeling pretty lethargic for a couple days. So, I offered her a 16oz t-bone grilled medium rare. Man on man did she get active right away. Must had been puttin on an act. Did I say she is my best bud?

Ya she will need to be kept quite and settled down for a few days that's for sure. Our dog slept for almost two days! She could hardly lift her head the first day. Had to put a couple of pillows down for her so she wouldn't hurt her self trying to get up.:backinmyday:

:mytruck1:

1st off thank you all for posting up, I really appreciate it as I know y'all wouldn't let me down as usual. Pink is doing a LOT better today, we had to give her some of her meds this morning and that was a bit of a chore, but we got them in her belly.

The anesthesia is pretty much wore off now, she got her appetite back and has eaten multiple treats and a full can of soft dog food (we only feed them hard food normally) She is still resting a lot, but I expected that. We are keeping her time with her brother at a relaxed pace. We keep an eye on him and dont let him get too excitable with or around her. He really has been doing a good job, it's funny to say, but you can see some compassion in his eyes when he's around her. He knows she's not feeling good and frequently looks to Lonna or I for a bit of consoling or guidance. They certainly are funny critters :)

She's kept her stomach in check all day and not 1 episode of getting sick. Looks like I was being an over protective Dad and just not knowing exactly what I should be doing, if anything besides wait. Thank you all again for your insight and help, I appreciate all of you :thumbsup2:

Squidley,

We humans can learn from nature and the animal kingdom. they know and feel and sense things far more than we do. They do not have twitter and Facebook and iPads , to share their feelings. Animals have been around forever and they have this down pat. In fact, many times they know when YOU are having an off day. Glad the pup is doing well.

Today is better than yesterday, Pink is back to herself (so to speak) and getting around lots better albeit slow. Her appetite is back and she has been eating and drinking regularly. Butt and tail just a wagging when she see's us and the incision is in good shape.

Again thank you all for your knowledge and sharing your experience with me. I appreciate being able to come here and bounce concerns/questions off y'all :thumbsup2:

I appreciate being able to come here and bounce concerns/questions off y'all

:rotf: The worried Father figure......

Been over a year now since Ben is gone and its still tough. remeber when the border won't let you bring food into the country

Brad

:rotf: The worried Father figure......

Been over a year now since Ben is gone and its still tough. remeber when the border won't let you bring food into the country

Brad

Yeah, funny how they grab your heart and dont let go.

I have a few pics of that big beast of yours with me rough around in the garage :)