IGNORED

punching holes in the gas filler neck - add .4 gal

Guest tx2sturgis
I come across that didn't punch holes in their neck

Yeah my neck is fine the way it is, thank you.

:moon:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a couple in mine at 12oclock position. I used an automatic center punch. you know the springloaded ones you just push and the make a dent. It takes a bit but it works. Then I put a little larger nail in the hole and "rounded" it out. On trips where I'm trying to get the make distance I'll sit on the bike and fill up so its more upright. DON"T hit the auto punch with a hammer!!!!!!! They are about $3 at harbor freight. I thought about maybe running the shop vac and either sucking across the top to keep sparks out or hook it up to blow across. I think sucking across would do 2 things. If you had sparks it would draw them out instead of in and also if you had material coming off it would capture it instead of falling into the tank. I did neither. lol

I thought about maybe running the shop vac and either sucking across the top to keep sparks out or hook it up to blow across.

Oh, man! DON'T DO THAT! The shop vacs use a universal (brush type) motor that creates a spark at the brushes while operating. Sucking gasoline vapors into a running shop vac will virtually guarantee an explosion. IMHO.

I have a couple in mine at 12oclock position. I used an automatic center punch. you know the springloaded ones you just push and the make a dent. It takes a bit but it works. Then I put a little larger nail in the hole and "rounded" it out. On trips where I'm trying to get the make distance I'll sit on the bike and fill up so its more upright. DON"T hit the auto punch with a hammer!!!!!!! They are about $3 at harbor freight. I thought about maybe running the shop vac and either sucking across the top to keep sparks out or hook it up to blow across. I think sucking across would do 2 things. If you had sparks it would draw them out instead of in and also if you had material coming off it would capture it instead of falling into the tank. I did neither. lol

DO NOT USE A SHOP VAC.

If you are worried about sparks use a brass punch.

For those of you who don't know. Sparks within the fuel tank are extremely unlikely to cause a fire or explosion. Hence electric fuel pumps, electrical connections, fuel gage senders etc are frequently located in the tank. That doesn't mean safety shouldn't be foremost in your mind so use a brass punch.

To get the maximum benefit multiple holes should be located around the filler neck.

Mike

Edited by MikeWa

So here is the exact reason for squeezing every oz of gas in.

In a few weeks:

Riding Tonopah Nv up 376 thru Austin to Battle Mountain.

There is gas in Tonopah - a 185 mile ride from my last gas stop.

Then Tonopah to Austin - no gas enroute - 118 miles

Austin to Battle Mountain - 88 miles no gas enroute

So I figure 206 miles on two lane road - guessing speed at 60-65 - not freeway speeds, I am safe going that distance with 5.8 gal ( and 2 liters in the trunk for the RSV I come across that didn't punch holes in their neck )

VentureFar...

That ride across Nevada on US 50 (The Loneliest Highway in America) is one of the areas where you need to pay attention to your fuel and fill up in Austin whether you need it or not. The next available gas stop may be 100 to 150 plus miles. Especially if you decide to take a little detour and see Sand Mountain up close.

Mike

Did the same thing to mine about three years ago...No Awl but took a grinder and sharpened a #16 nail. Three nice big holes in the front of the neck allowed me a few extra miles going to South Dakota/Black Hills a couple years ago. I was unaware of the distances between fuel in SD and this little trick saved me calling Road Service...

Just me and I'm just saying...

Long Tall

• 9 months later...

I did this several years ago. Along with my 5 gallon aux tank, I can fill right at 11 gallons. 350+ mile range.

Now, if I can just get a aux bladder I can use all that gas at once. Sucks getting old (but it beats the alternative).

RR

I ran out of gas just once on a lonely back road here in Loozeeanner. Once on the shoulder of the road I simply put the kickstand down and slammed the scoot over to the left and down hard on the kickstand. Enough gas sloshed from the right side to the left side for me to fire her up and make it to a gas station 19 miles away.

Boomer....who sez it helps to have pygmies going for gas too if needed....:whistling:....and at my age I welcome a gas stop every 150miles just to stretch out the kinks and water the plants.:rotf: