IGNORED

very loud whining sound from my midnight tour delux

hello all. I have a 2007 royal star midnight tour deluxe. with 21,000 miles. I have ALOT of drive train noise from her. it is a loud whining sound. gets real bad around 70 or 75 mph. it gets more quiet going up hill, and on the way down hill it sounds off bad. or on a flat run. I have a bub exhaust with out baffles and its LOUD. and this noise is louder than my pipes. I asked dothen power sports in Alabama about it. that's where I got the bike. they say its (normal). well I have to say, if that's a fact, I have to get rid of my bike. it gives me a head ache. and the noise makes me worry that she is going to lock up on me or something. I think its from the crank case, but its hard to tell. any one know anything about this ????:sick::confused24:

Edited by chris fulgenzi
needed to put in miles on bike..

First off, did Condor put you up to this?

Seriously though,

When you squeeze the clutch in at speed, does the whining stop? if so it's the clutch basket as Joe stated it can be replaced.

but first,

What weight oil are you running?...

mine was louder with 10-40 and whine virtually went away with 20-40

Whats weird is that the whine seems to manifest itself at dissimular speed ranges on different bikes. Mine occured between 40-50 but was never that loud.

Now the E3's when turning is the loudest noise on my bike.

Hello Chris: Welcome to the site. As stated, some bikes have the whine or chirping more than others and it occurs at different speeds. I really like my tour deluxe. A lot of bike for the money in my opinion. I hope you find a resolution and stick around this wonderful site. Keep us posted.:)

Hey Chris, Welcome to this wonderful site. Hang in there with your bike. The advice on this site will usually help you get the answers you need. Don't assume your dealership is totally competent, especially if they are a multiline store. The cool thing about this site is we are for the most part honed in on the RSTD and the RSV, so little quirks like what you're experiencing can be helped by the advice from loads of experience of the people here. The RSTD and RSV are wonderful bikes that, because of the 4 banger motor, are second to non in quality and longevity.

Hi Chris

As mentioned above these bikes can be very oil sensitive. There doesn't seem to be any one cure all either. At one time I switched to Amsoil synthetic. The noise was deafening. I was afraid something was coming apart and I was ruining my gears. So I switched back to Yamalube and after about 1000 miles the noise subsided. A little gear whine is normal. Crying, screeching and screaming gears are not. You may want to experiment a little.

Good Luck & Ride Safe

Mike

In between the attempts at humor you will get and have gotten a lot of good info on this site.

We are a goofy bunch and like to have fun.

With that said, some have gotten rid of the whine on their bikes by removing the back seat......:duck:

Someone had to say it.......

I don't understand the question. up to what? I just joined the group at 1:30 am this morning for the answers to the problem on my bike. I guess its a running joke.. lol

that makes me worry a little !!! lol:shock3:

Condor put up a thread a few days back that it had been quiet around here lately...

I assure you it's nothing to worry about...

after reading the posts from all of you, I may see a few things. first I am using amsoil synthetic 10w40 oil.

that has been used in the bike since new. I bought the bike with 15.000 miles in Dothan Alabama. it now has almost 21.000 miles.

when I bought it I told Dothen power sports I could hear a whine in the drive train.

last night was the worst I have ever heard the noise. it made my hair stand up. I was really worried.

I was on the expressway with it running 70 and 75 mph.

its hard to hear ANYTHING else but my bub exhaust with the baffles out. but that noise last night drowned out the exhaust.

I guess I can switch oils and try that to 20w40 yamalube.

I have a FULL extended Yamaha plan on the bike from tire to tire. I have had her for about 4 or 5 mos now.

I spent around 5 grand on chrome and lights for her. she has a lizard light show. loaded with all kinds of crazy chrome. fork extenders, caliper covers, sound of chrome speakers, road king style front lights, light bezels all the way around, k&n filters on the carbs,and the carbs have been gone through with bigger jets. . its LOADED.

I love the bike, its crazy fast and fun to ride. BUT, I have to get this problem under control. its not a very good sound.. not for the 15 grand I spent on a 2007 bike.. :detective::stirthepot:

As mentioned, some whine is fairly normal. But as loud as you describe, and that loudness just started, sounds like something that should be looked into. When the dealer said that the whine is normal, did he ride it to hear what you are talking about?

if its still under warranty have them put in an "I basket". My 06 RSV made a terrible noise until the basket was changed. Some who have done this have said that the whine moved in RPMs or came back mine did not and I have a little over 20,000 since the change. I had tried different oils as well without much difference. Yamalube or valvoline 20-50 seemed to be the best for the whine. Currently I am trying Rotela T6 only a couple hundred miles seems ok.

Guest tx2sturgis
Currently I am trying Rotela T6 only a couple hundred miles seems ok.

Can I ask a favor?

After 1000 miles or so, or anytime you notice anything that might seem...different.... with that oil, would you post an update?

Thanks.

:happy34:

Chris has the bike had this noise since the day you bought it or is something that just started ?

Warranty does not usually cover maintenance Items. If it just started making the noise you need to get all of the maintenance Issues resolved before you turn it over to a dealer just in case that is the problem and to eliminate those issues.

Pull rear wheel and clean and lube drive pins.

Lube drive shaft ends

Change final drive lube and look for any metal fragments

If it is the clutch whine try a different brand oil Mine didn't like the synthetic oil went back to dino oil Rotella 15w 40 and it definitely helped.

It may indeed be the dreaded clutch whine but no need to pay the dealer to do those items and it turns out to be the problem.

well this morning, I had a buddy get in my charger and follow me to dothen al. 45 miles away. it made the noise but it NEVER got as loud as it did the other night. I ran it up to 85 or 90 a few times and ran it at 70 mph most of the way. scary when your not sure what tricks it has up its sleeve for the day ..lol on the way, I had to get gas where I saw the back tire looked strange. I have a metzeler on the front and rear. it was great in the center, but the sides were chafed really bad. I keep them at 40 psi and check them every week or so.

when at dothen power sports, he states they are very busy and he does not have time to ride the bike. and if I want. I can leave it. and he will call me next week to let me know what he finds. bull cookies. this is a full out investigation. lol

so he wants 370.00 for a tire. nope. I found one at the little bike shop down the road for 250.00 but it was late. so I have to go back to get it done.

ok now, the oil we have been running is amsoil 10w40. since it was new.

when I bought the bike it had this noise and they said it was normal but NEVER rode the bike to hear it. so how in the hell does he know ANYTHING? don't you love it when people think you are STUPID?

now, I am looking at oils. if I run 20w50 in this bike, I have went from synthetic to regular oil. and I believe that can hurt my seals in the motor because its been on synthetic since it was new. now it has 21,000 miles I got it when it had 15,000 miles.

if I go to 2050 synthetic oil it will be thicker but it will get hot faster. and it may quiet it down like putting a band aid on the problem.

so, is this noise a gremlin? you know, one you chase for weeks on end?

to me, start with a new tire and get rid of the out of round flint stones tire off it first. I am going with a Dunlop series 3 touring tire. and see what she does. then go from there.

and I need to find a better dealership I guess. I hate to, that is the place that had dealt with this bike since she was born. but if they wont ride it, how do they know what is going on?? my god !!! a person could go crazy thinking about all this mess !!! lol

welcome to my nightmare... good old Alice Cooper.. :rotf:

A far as the oil goes you can change back with no issues. The past problems with seals leaking had to do with the way synthetic oils were formulated back when they were first introduced. Should be no problems now. Secondly your rear tire can make a loud howl if the sides of the face are cupped, being run with too little pressure, or both. Was the noise more prominent when you were taking a curve?

no it was more pronounced going down hill or on a flat with no pressure on the drive train.

now, I took advise of a early post. and pulled the clutch in doing 70 mph and the noise STOPED. I can hear the tire sounding off it has a flump flump sound. if that's a good term..lol

going up hill the drive train sound gets a lot quieter also. if the sound goes away I would think its not a drive shaft or bearing or a chunk. or a u joint. to me, I would think its the clutch or a gear whine. or both.

I decided to sleep on this and go back at it tomorrow.

and the oil thing will be the issue tomorrow along with a Dunlop tire.

you know, to me, with no pressure on the drive train and its sounding off, that tells me it has a crappy gear design and the gears don't fit one another very well.

and, I know Harleys have ALOT of drive train noise also because they use huge gears. :mytruck1:

Mine whines more when it's warm out and in a certain rpm, thats fairly normal. I had louder pipes on it but put the origionals back on because of some long rides ( drone on a long run is a killer) so I notice mine a bit more. I run 20w 50 semi-synthetic yamalube because of the warrentee and it is quiter with this than the 15w 50 full synthetic.

On mine it whines in the middle of the power band, change your shift points a bit and see if you notice the difference. These bikes like to be in the power band and not at the low end of your shift points.

Now as for this group, it is an awesome bunch, you do need to stick around to understand the humor sometimes. Get to know some of the people and hit some activities. They know a ton about the bike and will help you keep on the road and out of the stealers shoppe.

like the hotel California, you can check out anytime you want, but you can NEVER leave... yes I like this group. great guys and I don't mind supporting good people.

now I have to figure out how to change my user name to something a little more fun and get a photo of my bike on here so you can all see her..

Chris, the next time you ride try a different higher rpm range while riding

these bikes like it. then listen for the *whine* I hardly use 5th gear anymore

unless on the interstate. I also switched from Amsoil to Dino. (reg rotella)

welcome