IGNORED

I am looking for a REAL MAN!

Yama Mama

While I was at our fellowship gathering after church, I saw a church member that I know rides an HD Ultra.

Since it has been cold here in Cincinnati, I asked him if he has been riding his bike. He said some.

I innocently asked, if he has been wearing HEATED GLOVES?

He looked at me a bit strangely and replied that

he was TOO MUCH OF A MAN to wear heated gloves.

So I said, Most of the real men I know have hands,

and in the winter their hands seem to be more comfortable in the cold with heated gloves. He had nothing else to say.

Then I got to thinking, most of the HD people I see ride by wear gloves even in the hot weather,

so much for fellowship. I guess I need to tell him to GET A GRIP.

Peggy

Hi Yama Mama.

I am from Iceland and it is very cold here and I wear heated gloves all the time and my hands are very warm and I don´t like them being cold since they get all blue when I fall on the ice if I have no heated gloves on and still I am a real man and I,,,,,,,,,:snow2:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The thing is - "some" of these Harley people just seem to look at bikers that ride other brands as a kind of a not worth speaking to. I have experienced this quite many times but then of cause there are a lot of nice people who rides Harleys so it would be wrong to judge the whole crowd. What is this thing about ,,,I RIDE A HARLEY,,, ego thing. Never could understand that. I know one thing for sure that I do not care if someone is riding a Suzuki, Honda or a Motogucci - if the person approaches and wants to chat about bikes then I am all ears.

I am just starting to gear up for cold riding. Bought my first face mask that cov ers the nose this last week and took an hours ride yesterday before bad weather hit for several days. WOW, Nothing about being comfortable means I am less of a man, and that face mask was nice and warm under my 3/4 helmet with shield.

Plus my wife said the "mystery" man image with the mask turned her on when I chased her down in her truck to take her to lunch at the end of my ride!

Guest tx2sturgis

Guess that since he's 'too much of a man'...we should ask him if he's taken the heater core out of his 4x4, and removed the woodburning stove from his hunting lodge, and oh yeah, I guess he probably goes ice fishing, barefooted!

Sheesh. What an idiot.

this guy MUST have ridden a "gold wing trike", in his other life!

i think HONDA, sells "arrogance" as an "add on", even you don't want it!

i have yet to meet a g.w. trike owner, who will lower himself to speak to non gw trike riders!

even if they have no idea IF or WHAT you ride!

no flame intended here, just my observations!

just jt

My wife and I were cruising down the highway last summer and this HD was passing us. We looked over and waived and he and his nav just looked the other way and rode on. :think:

I have a couple of friends I used to ride with until they bought Harleys. One is just "obsessed" with having ONLY HD gear. Helmet, shirts, jackets, gloves, boots, etc all HD. His wife is the same way. He says it doesn't matter to him what you ride but he only rides with other HDs. He has become EXTREMELY arrogant since getting his Harley.

The other use to have a VR. He and I rode to work together and on the weekends we were always finding places to ride. THEN... he bought his dream bike ... a Heritage Soft tail. We've ridden ... maybe .... three times together in the last year. At first he didn't want to put a lot of miles on the bike. :no-no-no: (said it would affect the trade in value). I asked him if he was planning on tradin it in any time soon. :confused24: It took him almost 8 months to get through the 'break-in' period, and this was during the summer. Anywho, he kinda hangs only with the HD riders too. They both laugh at my heated jacket and gloves and tell me I need to get a 'real' bike without a 'wimpy shield'.

Some HD riders really don't care what you ride as long as you ride but for the most part the majority only associate with other HD riders. I read a sticker on a helmet of a HD rider that said, "I don't care how good it looks. I don't care how good it sounds. It's still a piece of metric SH**!"

Say what they may... but I'm ridin comfortable ... year round... just Relaxin!

Guest tx2sturgis

I have a couple of friends I used to ride with until they bought Harleys. One is just "obsessed" with having ONLY HD gear. Helmet, shirts, jackets, gloves, boots, etc all HD. His wife is the same way. He says it doesn't matter to him what you ride but he only rides with other HDs. He has become EXTREMELY arrogant since getting his Harley.

The other use to have a VR. He and I rode to work together and on the weekends we were always finding places to ride. THEN... he bought his dream bike ... a Heritage Soft tail. We've ridden ... maybe .... three times together in the last year. At first he didn't want to put a lot of miles on the bike. :no-no-no: (said it would affect the trade in value). I asked him if he was planning on tradin it in any time soon.......

Ok guys...this sort of thing happens...you all drive jeeps, and somebody gets a Toyota FJ...its just the way it is...some people take it as a rejection of what THEY ride...

In my circles, I have noticed that many of my former 'riding buddies'...are not as enthused about riding with me on the new RSV...but I have also noticed that with my TRUE friends, it doesnt matter what I ride up on, my Ultra, or my Venture...they are just glad to see ME.

So I think of the RSV as a type of filter...it filters out the wannabe friends from the real ones.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/tx2sturgis/ride-time/at-thompsonpark1.jpg

Last weekend I was riding with a group of about 5 other bikes, all Harleys, except for one, a Honda something. ( really, I dont know what it was!)...I was hanging mostly at the rear, as I like to do, and just following happily along, till I wanted to take a particular scenic road...and not knowing where the leader was gonna take us, I passed all my buds and caught up to the point man, and asked if he'd like to ride up that road...and he answered...lead the way...I yelled back, you wanna follow me then? (pointing to the non-HD Venture I was riding)...he said SURE!...SO...OFF WE WENT!...

Heres the scenario...ok...apologies, but you hadda be there...heres this crossover rider (me)...riding a Jap bike...leading a full armada of Harleys...up the hill, around the curves...thru the trees, past the houses, more hills, and all the way up to one of the highest roads in the Amarillo area...and I stopped at the top.

We all got off our bikes, admired the view, and I took a few pics...you can see my RSV second from left in this shot:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/tx2sturgis/ride-time/amarillo-skyline1.jpg

Point is...your REAL friends will enjoy your company...no matter what you ride.

Guest tx2sturgis

I wanted to add this: Two of the guys I was riding with, Adam, on the silver Honda, and Dono, on the black and white Electraglide, both play in a country band that is very good, and trying to get on a label...maybe someday they'll be famous...you read it here first! The name of the band is Gray County Line...

http://getout.amarillo.com/content/outloud/020108_graycountyline.shtml

They will be playing at Doc Holidays in Amarillo this coming weekend...any Venture riders in the area willing to ride in? I'll buy the first round!!

Then I got to thinking, most of the HD people I see ride by wear gloves even in the hot weather,

so much for fellowship. I guess I need to tell him to GET A GRIP.

Peggy

Hey... I wear gloves year-around, too. I've been on the asphalt before, and had the palms torn off of both of my gloves, but no damage to my hands, so I got this message: always wear gloves when riding! When it's below about 40, I turn the heat on -- heated gloves are the only thing heated that I wear. If I were further north, I would probably have more heated stuff.

This HD real-men-don't-use-heated-gloves guy sounds like what you see on cold days outside of motorcycling. Most people are bundled up with coats and hats and scarves, pants and boots. Then there's some guy with a hoodie, basketball shorts and tee shirt. What I can't figure out about that is whether the guy has no nerves firing below the waist or above the neck.

I rode to panama city florida last year with several of my harley buddies. On the way home I was riding in the back of the group when the leader on his ultra classic kicked up to over 100 mph. One time we passed a car and I got up to 105 mph but was right on the bumper of the street glide in front of me. I guess they thought I wouldn't be able to keep up. When we got back home and parked the guy on the street glide said "man your bike will really go, it must be an 1800." I said no it is only a 1300. He said wow.

I've had some Harleys, even a new one. Had a Wing, Venture, & now another wing. Various Yamahas, a Norton, Suzuki, etc.

I've had many good horses, cars & trucks, too.

I never felt a twinge of arrogance or superiority with any of 'em. I just like to ride.

The only reason I have a scoot as big as I do, is because wife came to love riding [recently] as much as me & she is 5'11".

I have suffered frostbite before, but not on a bike....not sure where that puts me in the 'real man' ranking.

Anyone know?

I rode to panama city florida last year with several of my harley buddies. On the way home I was riding in the back of the group when the leader on his ultra classic kicked up to over 100 mph. One time we passed a car and I got up to 105 mph but was right on the bumper of the street glide in front of me. I guess they thought I wouldn't be able to keep up. When we got back home and parked the guy on the street glide said "man your bike will really go, it must be an 1800." I said no it is only a 1300. He said wow.

Hey, that's pretty good. You need to tell them that you got some buddies that have these old Ventures that are 25 years old and even smaller in the displacement department and at 105 they still have TWO GEARS TO GO!!!!!

RandyA

My brother inlaw recently bought a 07 road king not having riden but maybe 6 months on an 06 road king he crashed when he hit a dog in a 35 mph zone doing 60 so not much experiance not real bright either anyhow since he bought the harley(s) he has gotten 8 or so tattoos and wears harley this and that and got the holier than thou attitude. I have only ridden with him a couple times the first time we were just crusing about 5mph over limit I had wife on with me and Kenneth was on the V45 And bro inlaw just pegs the throttle on the 06 road king. I just let him go. when we caught up down the road he was so full of himself I almost got sick. So the next time we went for short ride I was alone on my 88 and on the edge of town he nails it again, I was about to shift in to 4th when he goosed it so downshifted instead nailed it and front wheel was in the air as I passed him. He doesnt ask if my "old Bike" can keep up anymore. I really hope he loses the attitude though.

:Im not listening to

Course: How to be a real man... (PG)

In America, a new two-year course to earn a degree in being a real man has just been unveiled. It runs as follows.

Oh, and I passed it........:thumbsup2:

FIRST YEAR

Spring Schedule:

MEN 101: Combating Stupidity

MEN 102: You, Too, Can Do Housework

MEN 103: PMS-Learn When to Keep Your Mouth Shut

MEN 104: We Do Not Want Sleazy Under Things for Christmas

Summer Schedule:

MEN 110: Wonderful Laundry Techniques

MEN 111: Understanding the Female Response to Getting In at 3am

MEN 112: Parenting: It Doesn't End with Conception

EAT 100: Get a Life, Learn to Cook

EAT 101: Get a Life, Learn to Cook II

ECON 001A: What's Hers is Hers

Fall Schedule:

MEN 120: How NOT to Act Like a Jerk When You're Wrong

MEN 121: Understanding Your Incompetence

MEN 122: YOU, the Weaker Sex

MEN 123: Reasons to Give Flowers

ECON 001C: What Was Yours is Hers

SECOND YEAR

Spring Schedule:

SEX 101: You CAN Fall Asleep Without It

SEX 102: Morning Dilemma: If It's Awake, Take a Shower

SEX 103: How to Stay Awake After Sex

MEN 201: How to Put the Toilet Seat Down (Elective)

(See Electives Below)

Summer Schedule:

MEN 210: The Remote Control: Overcoming Your Dependency

MEN 211: How to Not Act Younger than Your Children

MEN 212: You, Too, Can Be a Designated Driver

MEN 213: Honestly, You Don't Look Like Tom Cruise

MEN 230A: Her Birthdays and Anniversaries Are Important

Fall Schedule:

MEN 221: Fluffing the Blanket After Farting Is Not Necessary

MEN 222: Real Men Ask for Directions

MEN 223: Thirty Minutes of Begging is NOT Considered Foreplay

MEN 230B: Her Birthdays and Anniversaries Are Important II

COURSE ELECTIVES

EAT 101: Cooking with Tofu

EAT 102: Utilization of Eating Utensils

EAT 103: Burping and Belching Discreetly

MEN 231: Mothers-in-law

MEN 232: Appear to Be Listening

MEN 233: Just Say "Yes, Dear"

ECON 001C: Cheaper to Keep Her

Guest KitCarson

I think Brian just about has it figured out. Those who actually enjoy bikes for the ride, the sound of the engine, the performance of the bike, just enjoy life and like to just get out and go........really do not care one bit about what kind of bike you ride. We all have our preferences, and our likes and dislikes about any particular bike. The main thing is to get out and have fun together.

Yea that ole better than thou harley attitude does not set well with me either, but you will find it is not the old school Harley riders that feel that way, most are like me......curious as can be about other bikes, it is the new yuppie riders that have never had a bike......who have been lured by the new advertisements and commercials........and are not real smart either, easily led.

Friendly banter about a bike is one thing...in fact enjoyed, but that serious new Yuppie Harley attitude.......yea I have experienced that one too!! Don't let it bother you, those kind of folks ........I look at them just like I look at a car that pulls out in front of me.......just calmly avoid it and smile and go on....they are not going to bother me a bit.

Hey Hipshot.......when I get old and have to walk around with a cane......I will buy a new Gold Wing Trike......I will come visit you and take you for spin around the block...(if I ever get retired).......There are idiots in all walks of life.......I just ignore them.....life is too much fun to be bothered with those kinds of people.

All of you Ride Safe.......do not worry about those with attitudes.....it is their problem not ours. Respectfully Kit

Tell you what, the affects of frostbite last a lifetime. I used to ride in the cold without warm gloves and "shake it off".

Now, if my hands get cold...okay, I'm talking the house being about 58º to 60º in the morning the capillaries in my fingers shut down and don't let any blood get to the tips of my fingers. They turn white and the get numb. Not really my idea of fun and I can't imagine this is that good for them either. Think I would have rather had heated gear but then hind sight is always 20/20

this guy MUST have ridden a "gold wing trike", in his other life!

i think HONDA, sells "arrogance" as an "add on", even you don't want it!

i have yet to meet a g.w. trike owner, who will lower himself to speak to non gw trike riders!

even if they have no idea IF or WHAT you ride!

no flame intended here, just my observations!

just jt

Hey, hipshot, I have a very good friend who rides an 05 Honda GW trike. This guy will give you the shirt off his back, even to HD riders. He even tried to give me his underwear once...anyway, Jimmy will ride with anyone, as I will also, no matter what make of bikes the others are riding. At work, we have a group of guys that we all ride together. Big mixture of bikes, HD, GW, Suzuki, Vulcan and me with the only RSMV, but no one critizes what the other rides. We go out, enjoy the ride and each others company and help each other out if someone breaks down.

I have met a lot of HD riders out there, and yea they won't give you the time of day. The riders that I have the most problems with are the idiots riding them damn crotch rockets. They seem to care for no one except themselves and how fast their bikes will go.

As for the proper wear, I gear up just about everytime. I even have my own thermal underwear, up here you need it.

I don't have heated gloves or heated grips, but I have a very good pair of winter snowmobile gloves.

:canada::7_6_3[1]::canada:

kIT CARSON SAID "YUPPIES"

i COULDN'T AGREE MORE, SEEMS THAT ALL THE OLD (CAPS again) guys, and some of them are pretty rough, are pretty well .................well, let me just say they don't seem to need to compensate for any "short comings":whistling: most of them are pretty cool.

Eck, both of my ex wives and the one i have now, think i need to take that course, probably the degree version not just the vocational classes.

:confused24::confused24:I don't get it..............:confused24::confused24: