IGNORED

Do you have a Flat tire repair kit?

Dale124

I keep the rope type plug, bottle of slime and a Slime Sport tire inflator in both bikes.

Used the plug and inflator on my or other bikes a few times.

Only used the slime goo once. But I rode that tire to the nylon.

Glad to have them.

http://fs7.motosport.com/is/image/Motosport/SLIME-12V-AIR-C_is?$NewPDP2$

Edited by Mike G in SC

Allways cary a plug kit. I would ride the rear with a plug till the tread wore off, the fronts a bit different. I would replace a front pluged tire as soon as i could. co2 inflator when solo but a 12v mini compressor when draging the trailor.

I carry a rope kit and have used it twice to get me home. Once between Vogal and Dragon and once from nearby town. Both times rear tire. On the Vogal one, I used my cheap HF pump to get enough air in it until I could fill it up.

This is over a 17 year period and 139,000 miles

RandyA

I've always thought about one of those kits, and I suppose they are good insurance.

Might just grab myself one next time I'm in town.

Having four tyres to worry about makes it all the more sense to have one I suppose.

Having said that, I pay $39 a year for roadside breakdown service through a motorcycling organization and that is good peace of mind.

Never needed it so far - but you never know.

BTW those 'sticky rope' outfits are known as 'dog turds' in Oz.:rotf:

I keep the rope type plug, bottle of slime and a Slime Sport tire inflator in both bikes.

Used the plug and inflator on my or other bikes a few times.

Only used the slime goo once. But I rode that tire to the nylon.

Glad to have them.

http://fs7.motosport.com/is/image/Motosport/SLIME-12V-AIR-C_is?$NewPDP2$

Hey Mike,

That's a tidy looking outfit. How much do you pay for one of those over your way?

Can't seem to fine one on ePay down this way.

If I have no luck here I might have to import one.

Cheers.

Yea I do too, Go the compressor route and the plugs. The CO2 cartridge route will fail you, they leak off over time especially when exposed to heat like in the bottom of a saddle bag over the exhaust. Cyclepump makes about the best pump but others such as the one he posted a pic of will also hold up. Your looking for one that is lightweight yet delivers good volume. Just air it up and give the pump a cool off and finish airing up. Leave the bike run while you air and shorter and heavier wire is best.

Im going to say your best kit is self made. Include the tools to remove the valve stem, extra Valve stems, extra cap (With seal inside) heavy duty Plug tools (Cheap ones don't work so swell on a bike tire) and extra rubber cement. Include an Air gauge the small kind like Progressive gives out at the bike show will work and is light.

I bought the Yamaha Kit and tossed half of it aside and went with what I mention here.

If you really want to go lightweight, Harbor Freight sells a Yellow line that has a female end on each end, you put some air from the good tire into the flat one and ride slow to the pump. Or better yet get a truck to stop and steal his air. And BTW most Big Rigs have an air line if you wave them down they can air you up. :cool10:

I forgot to mention that a screw with glue on it makes a killer plug for a nail hole in an emergency. So I also carry short screws.

If you really want to go lightweight, Harbor Freight sells a Yellow line that has a female end on each end, you put some air from the good tire into the flat one and ride slow to the pump. Or better yet get a truck to stop and steal his air. And BTW most Big Rigs have an air line if you wave them down they can air you up. :cool10:

I forgot to mention that a screw with glue on it makes a killer plug for a nail hole in an emergency. So I also carry short screws.

Interesting and unique info IronMike. Good tip.

I found a nice compact plug kit at a bike shop somewhere. It came with a hose and adapters to screw into a spark plug hole and use the engine to pump up the flat. Only used it once on a friends RSV and it worked fine.

This one is similar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMGO-84-97600-Motorcycle-Tire-Repair-Kit-with-Mini-Pump-Emergency-Tire-Repairs-/261235056783

Here's another for tube type tires.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stop-and-Go-deluxe-tire-repair-kit-for-all-motorcycles-tire-irons-travel-/300918854719

Hi Spear,

If you are in Oz .you will be able to get the small slime 12volt pump most likely from the Auto One outlet I have ssn several different models there, one even had a rudimentary pressure gauge as part of the casing , the whole thing was very small ,I have the model shown purchased from the local stock agent here in Northampton in West Aus.

Bot if you want a really good repair kit I recently purchased from the USA the Stop and Go Pocket tire plugger kit.

But you will have to do an internet search , Stop & Go International inc. Crystal Lake Il.

I have not had to use it yet but it is the best repair outfit that I have seen and is very compact, and it has a superior way of plugging the tyre with an easy to use adapter and mushroom headed plugs.

Of course you will also need to have the slime compressor or something similar in order to inflate the tyre.

Cheers,

Winston 66 Western Australia

I carry a sticky string plug kit and a cheapo WallyWorld or HF compressor on all my bikes and in all my vehicles. Plugged several nail holes in the truck tires but never one on my bike. I have plugged bike tires of others I stopped for on the side of the road.

RR

On our way to Cody a few years ago, one of the other members here had a flat in Casper Wy. With the help of a rope plug kit and a compressor we were able to repair the tire and make it to Cody. Make sure if you buy a slime plug kit that it has cement in it. If I remember correctly the packaged kit we bought at first did not have cement in it and the sticky rope plug by itself did not seal completely, it allowed us to get off of the side of the rode and near shade next to a McDonald's, but we ended up making another trip to purchase cement. Good read everyone.

Hey Mike,

That's a tidy looking outfit. How much do you pay for one of those over your way?

Can't seem to fine one on ePay down this way.

If I have no luck here I might have to import one.

Cheers.

Steve,

Here it is on Amazon for $28.37, free ship to US.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Motorcycle-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ET9SB4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373109791&sr=8-1&keywords=slime+power+sport+inflator]Amazon.com: Slime 40001 Motorcycle Tire Inflator: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31tgLjOrliL.@@AMEPARAM@@31tgLjOrliL[/ame]

I buy it at O'Reileys for about $30.

But, You are in OZ.

I have mentioned this before here (even had a classified for it), my daughter, Claudia, owns (and runs) a parcel forwarding company, www.boxvoyage.com . It specializes in forwarding stuff like this to, primarily, Australia. You order online from anyone in US and ship it to her in South Carolina, she forwards it to you, mostly using USPS. You paypal her for ship cost & her handling. She has a lot of customers, many buy fashion.

My son lived in Sydney (got masters at Macquarie). When he got back he acquired Boxvoyage and Claudia took it over, about 5 years ago.

If she can help on anything, tell her I sent you,,, I get hugs.

PM or email me ( mikeginsc@bellsouth.net ) if you have questions.

PM sent to you

Mike G

EDIT: I did post a fresh ad in the classifieds for her service - see classifieds "all other".

Edited by Mike G in SC

Geeze... Not one mention of Ride-On??? That's all I use in my tires, and not only does it seal up to a 1/4" hole.. so they say..., but it micro-balances the tire. I saw a video of someone trying to make a liar out of Ride-On and drilled holes all over the tire and it didn't leak... I do carry an inflater, but have never had a reason to use it... Nice to have... like a security blanket... :)

I carry a cycle pump for air compression and currently carry slime, but will swap for stop and go plugs at some point. The cool thing about the cycle pump is can be used through the lighter or through the battery tender. I tried both ways when filling up my bicycle tires. No issues. Comes in a nice compact sleeve and with the cycle pump air gauge, which was bought w pump as a set, it sits nice in L saddlebag.

I don't think the cyclepump can be beat, but if you search it, you can come awful close for a lot cheaper. Theory is you are not going to use it.

Like I said I carry a Plug kit it works just fine. I did buy the Stop and go kit. My brother used it on his car tire. And when he was, I read all about it in the directions, and they basically say go no further than to buy a new tire. Scary. Great for lawnmowers and 4 wheelers, maybe a wagon. But I just cant trust it.

Nice 12 pack of fresh plugs and a compressor and you can run the tire out. I got a bad nail in a new tire, plugged it and ran it out. It was like in the corner of the tire, somewhere a Stop and go I don't think would hold.

Ill sell ya mine, one plug missing.

And having had a rear flat at speed, (Found out in the next turn) I just want to mention always checking your tires, especially on trips. About every chance I get I have my passenger watch the rear as I move the bike, she looks for nails and voids. Same on front.

You can't kick a bike tire and see if it is flat, You must use a gauge.

The casing is so strong anyways, very little air makes it look good to go.

I read somewhere about a company who set up a tent at a Bike Rally and took air reading from people who just rode in and weighed the bikes too.

An amazing no astounding percentage of bikes were grossly under inflated and an amazing number were exceeding the weight rating of the tire.

And that made me go weigh mine two up and loaded. I was overweight on a Roadstar with the best tire available with the largest weight rating. And thats why I went to the darkside.

Ride on seems like a good idea, if I wasn't running Dynabeads.

This just hits home how important tires are.

This is the one I bought 2 years ago at Walmart in Cody for $9.00.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40020-Tire-Top-Inflator/dp/B002ZC1EOM/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1373170560&sr=8-14&keywords=slime+compressor]Slime 40020 Tire Top Off Inflator : Amazon.com : Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51IyHA0wvjL.@@AMEPARAM@@51IyHA0wvjL[/ame] Today they cost $12.27 on Amazon.com and $41.73 on Amazon.ca. :bang head:

This pump works well but it does not last very long, probably due to a design flaw that allows the gear arm to slip off. I used mine about 5 times before it stopped working. They have a warranty which requires it be returned to where it was purchased. That of course was not going to happen so I emailed Slime about the situation and they mailed me a replacement with no questions asked. Can't beat that for customer service. :thumbsup2:

After receiving the replacement I decided to open it up to see what was up. That's when I discovered the arm had come off the eccentric gear. Put it back on and used the pump 7 or 8 times before it fell off again. Fixed it again but used some blue Locktite that time and it lasted about a year before it stopped working for unknown reasons but suspect the switch went.

Definitely worth the $9 I paid but would not be so satisfied if I had paid over $40.

Never had to plug a tire but carry the Slime plug kit and the compressor just in case. The compressor is used to top up the tires when necessary. I really like the hose that threads onto the valve stem which dramatically reduces the amount of air that is lost when detaching it. Sure wish I could find a pressure gauge with that feature since I never seem to be able to get my pencil gauge lined up properly the first time.

I don't think the cyclepump can be beat, but if you search it, you can come awful close for a lot cheaper. Theory is you are not going to use it.

Never heard of that product before. Looks great but it is indeed pricey. Like the 90 degree valve stem extension as well.

Might have to wait awhile but that is going on my Christmas list.

Thanks for the heads up.