IGNORED

need a lot of help

wild hair 39

headed out this morning to pick up a 93 vr,look like it has been i a harley fight,and lost,but thank it has a lot of hart left,been knock down,and now will,get her back on her feet,:fingers-crossed-emo:beer:

I did the same thing Lowell. Bought a 93 project that had been dropped from a member here on the board.. I think he's moved on. Anyway it's still waiting in the wings and non-op'd. I replaced the front end plastic and painted. That's as far as I've gotten, and now it sits as other projects have eaten up my time. I guess the rule of thumb is don't ever by another 1stGen until the last one is finished and on the road. Now I'm seeriously thinking about parting it out???

It's infectious! Watch yourself,pretty soon you'll be full time lurking at all the used parts sites.:mo money: Riding time on your running scoot become less. Then when you finally get it all done. The mother instinct sets in and you can't seem to let the new baby leave. Good luck with the new project.:thumbsup2::D

headed out this morning to pick up a 93 vr,look like it has been i a harley fight,and lost,but thank it has a lot of hart left,been knock down,and now will,get her back on her feet,

Scoots that are rough & ugly are not likely to have been well maintained.

Easy to check compression for rings, valves.

Some folks scratch up their scoot & don't care about looks anymore, but keep e/thing else maintained.

Where are pics??

man i admire you all that can do this kind of stuff. maybe i could, i had a few mechanical type jobs in the past. but i'd have to take over the garage. it's so unorganized and crowded in there.

maybe one of these days i'll have me a shop that i can spread out in.

y'all ride safe!

:bighug:

man i admire you all that can do this kind of stuff. maybe i could, i had a few mechanical type jobs in the past. but i'd have to take over the garage. it's so unorganized and crowded in there.

maybe one of these days i'll have me a shop that i can spread out in.

y'all ride safe!

Refer to murphy's law of shop space, which reads: all available shop space will always be filled to the brim with components of past postponed projects that you plan on getting back to one day, or future high priority projects preventing you from clearing out that space. Therefore forcing you to seek additional space for current high prioty project.

Check out my post on Poor Man's tips and fixes 2/2/08 "Making Engine show r eady" and picture Gallery " Current bike rebuild project", or more specifically converting all season sun room den to Venture body shop/ Paint booth

:thumbsup2:Upside Only paint booth I have heard of with HVAC, Wide screen TV,Surround sound. Note: finding out that sanding dust does affect DVD Changer in detrimental ways.:bawling:

Downside, Sun Room Trashed:thumbdown:

If your married don't try this at home.:no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no:

headed out this morning to pick up a 93 vr,look like it has been i a harley fight,and lost,but thank it has a lot of hart left,been knock down,and now will,get her back on her feet,:fingers-crossed-emo:beer:

Please forgive me for sticking my nose in grown folks business, Buuuuuuuuuuttttt, I can't resist. I would like to offer these comments regarding your aforementioned quote.

Now Lowell,

1st of all...........Yea right like WE really believe a VR could lose at anything to a Harley. I'm sure that whatever your new motorcycles problems are (and we do need to see pictures so we know what we're working with here)........ it's probably unfair to blame a Harley right off the bat. Thats Assuming you were referring to the Harley Davidson motorcycles, that is....Lowell, just think about it, when was the last time you saw a Harley be able to even catch a VR....Much less beat HER

(Yes HER, She should always be addressed in the feminine gender referrence, you wouldn't refer to your wife as an IT would you? So why would you refer to your new mistress as an It?)

Now Lowell, I've seen your photo Gallery and I know you know what I'm talking about. That 86 and 89 don't stay that shinny by themselves. Somebody has been rubbing on them. And I would bet my bottom dollar it was probably you, wasn't it? Be honest, you can tell me. I promise not to tell your wife if I ever get to meet her that you now have three mistresses. That'll just be our secret.

Speaking of your photo Gallery, I noticed the Daytona 2006 emblem on the picture of your gauge cluster. So you were that lone Venture rider I kept seeing several times that week. That was right after I got my 87VR and before I found my way to Venturerider.org. I kept looking for you because I had a lot of questions and I wanted to pick your brain. But you probably didn't reconize me because I was riding a friends loaned Goldwing. My bike was in the shop in Atlanta, where it stayed for four months while the Harley certified mechanics (Since none of the Yamaha dealers were interested in talking to me about my 10+ year old VR), were scratching thier heads trying to figure out how she ticked........Never mind I'm getting off the point.

Oh Yeah your new mistress...... Now since you mentioned that you felt SHE still had a lot of Hart left in her I'm somewhat concerned. Having not seen any photos yet is it possible that the 93's current condition is due to an Motorcycle/Deer Collision. If you meant Heart, than that's good and I'm guessing the CGI checks out and there are no problems with the ignition circuit and she will crank and run. If so that's a good starting point. With the combined talent, expertise, resources, overall kindness, selflessness and good will of the members of Ventureriders.org your project bike will be winning trophies in beauty contest in no time.

But if she's really been knocked down hard as you suggested and there is major frame and/or engine damage it may be kinder to ease her suffering by putting her out of her misery. No Venture deserves to suffer. You may want to consider keeping her for a parts bike or parting her out so she can donate her usable parts to other Ventures in need, (and future proud Venture owners and potential Venturerider.org members) through the ebay auctions. That way you can recoup some bucks on your investment maybe even turn a profit.

But since I haven't seen any pictures and only have your post to go by, If she has feet instead of wheels and tires I don't know what to tell you and you will need all the :fingers-crossed-emo you can get. Hope you didn't pay much. You weren't :beer: when you found her were you? Not that it's any of my business, Just asking.

It's infectious! Watch yourself,pretty soon you'll be full time lurking at all the used parts sites.:mo money: Riding time on your running scoot become less. Then when you finally get it all done. The mother instinct sets in and you can't seem to let the new baby leave. Good luck with the new project.:thumbsup2::D

I don't think infectious covers it Addictive, all consuming, preoccupation, Life's mission, labor of love may be a better choice of words. Just remember ebay, ebay,ebay to save :mo money:I can't agree with mother instinct I say ride, ride, ride show if off be proud of what you've done. (just me). I believe becoming an owner of a Vr is more about devine providence instead of luck. Yell if you need help there is a lot of talent on this web sight.

picked her up,road her up & down the street,bad brakes,bad throttle cables,run pretty good,no oil leaks,been setting out side,lot of rusty bolts,chrom is good,can repair the left left faron,right side,will have to be relpaced,cb is gone,air system comes on with an arrer,more than likey will repaint,un less i find a blue faron--heres the pictures

will move all follow up post to 1 gen tech,section

lowell

picked her up,road her up & down the street,bad brakes,bad throttle cables,run pretty good,no oil leaks,been setting out side,lot of rusty bolts,chrom is good,can repair the left left faron,right side,will have to be relpaced,cb is gone,air system comes on with an arrer,more than likey will repaint,un less i find a blue faron--heres the pictures

lowell

Your in great shape, I've got extras of a lot of what you need that I haven't put on ebay yet if your interested or you can catch on ebay at good prices if you are delligent on watching the auctions. Avoid Yamaha if possible since thier prices are obseen and should be investigated by the Federal Trade commission. I use Yamaha as little as possible and only as a last chance resource. A lot of after market vendors have the same stuff much cheaper if you know how to look for them.

.A Valuable lesson I learned when I was in the boat business. With any type of recreational vehicle Factory recommended authorized replacement parts sold through them gives them a license to steal. They don't make the parts they buy them from the same vendors you can, put them in thier own packaging and mark them up to thier customers 500 to 1000%. Example Boat Motors, Mercury MerCruiser Inboard, outboard Factory authorized replacement water coolant thermostat, $140.00 same thermostat from Napa auto parts 10 years ago 4 to 5$.

The corporate mentallity being if you have the dispossable income for recreational vehicles you won't balk at paying $140.00 for a 5$ part.

But be cautioned if there is still a warranty on the original vehicle or part in some cases you could be voiding warranty.

Through trial and error i have developed a process to repair broken plastic pieces to better than factory original for pennies on the dollar if you don't mind spending your time and effort. You can buy a fish and eat a meal or learn to fish and eat a lifetime. Last time I bought a fairing from Yamaha, right side was no longer available, left side was over $500.00. See before and after pics of left fairing currently in the paint booth. Less $20.00 in materials and about 4 to 5 hours labor. I'll be glad to share this process with you, or you can watch and wait for what you need on ebay a get lucky enough to win auction. and get good deals depending on what your goals and needs are.

Do you want quick and easy money no object

have some time to kill to wait for a deal

want it now as cheap as possible and don't mind learning how to fish.

Rusty bolts see pics

Guest tx2sturgis

lowell

Saw the pics...you are hauling that to the scrap yard, right?

:whistling:

Your in great shape, I've got extras of a lot of what you need that I haven't put on ebay yet if your interested or you can catch on ebay at good prices if you are delligent on watching the auctions. Avoid Yamaha if possible since thier prices are obseen and should be investigated by the Federal Trade commission. I use Yamaha as little as possible and only as a last chance resource. A lot of after market vendors have the same stuff much cheaper if you know how to look for them.

.A Valuable lesson I learned when I was in the boat business. With any type of recreational vehicle Factory recommended authorized replacement parts sold through them gives them a license to steal. They don't make the parts they buy them from the same vendors you can, put them in thier own packaging and mark them up to thier customers 500 to 1000%. Example Boat Motors, Mercury MerCruiser Inboard, outboard Factory authorized replacement water coolant thermostat, $140.00 same thermostat from Napa auto parts 10 years ago 4 to 5$.

The corporate mentallity being if you have the dispossable income for recreational vehicles you won't balk at paying $140.00 for a 5$ part.

But be cautioned if there is still a warranty on the original vehicle or part in some cases you could be voiding warranty.

Through trial and error i have developed a process to repair broken plastic pieces to better than factory original for pennies on the dollar if you don't mind spending your time and effort. You can buy a fish and eat a meal or learn to fish and eat a lifetime. Last time I bought a fairing from Yamaha, right side was no longer available, left side was over $500.00. See before and after pics of left fairing currently in the paint booth. Less $20.00 in materials and about 4 to 5 hours labor. I'll be glad to share this process with you, or you can watch and wait for what you need on ebay a get lucky enough to win auction. and get good deals depending on what your goals and needs are.

Do you want quick and easy money no object

have some time to kill to wait for a deal

want it now as cheap as possible and don't mind learning how to fish.

Rusty bolts see pics

i'm going to repeir it,only thing is i don't have all the peaces,to put the right side back togather,so i'm in the market for right upper,& the part that holds the air cont,cb, rad door,mybe that harley was just mad,and kicked it over,don't see any fram damage,when i get her all stripped down,maybe she will be a,"38-24-32"

i'm not down,still have the 89 & the voyager

latter

it was a bidding war,two other guys were there,i throgh it was worth 1k,only time will tell

YEOUCH!! That's what I gave for mine. Now I don't feel so bad.... :) I just got thru looking at some of the pics I took right after I got it home, and the '93 looks a lot better than I remember. :thumbsup2: Not going to part it out now, but a repaint is definately in it's future.... I tried and sure screwed things up.... Just as soon as I get the '87 together I'll get on it..... Right after tweeking the '91... :rotf: