IGNORED

Anyone have "little known secrets" about 2nd Gen

VentureFar

How does the seat come off? I have found the 10mm nut on the right side - left side is different - what is the tool? (I didn't actually crawl under to look yet).

Two bolts and it pops off?

There's really a switch for the passing lamps!?!?!??

Many people (myself included) just LEAVE the two nuts off once they're off.

After that, it's "gravity" hold.

Doesn't stop anyone from stealing your seat easily.......but then, anyone who really WANTS your seat probably has the requisite 10mm wrench with them anyway! :-)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote> Couple people can't get their trunk lids to open to a full vertical position. Some lids won't go beyond a 60 degree angle (or so). I know some people have fixed this and hopefully they will post how Quote

I know lots of folks have done this, but this will put stress on the corner of the trunk lid and may eventually crack. The fella that I bought my bike from did this and now its cracked, I put mine back on

If the trunk won't open all the way, see if you left a helmet in the passenger seat! :whistling:

Oh, and always be careful about stuffing jackets and junk in the side bags.

If you have something covering the lock tabs when you close it,,,,, it may NEVER open again.

Edited by Mike G in SC

• 11 months later...

Two reasons for this post -

1. I thought the newcomers would appreciate seeing this thread.

2. If your RSV won't start and it is acting like it is out of gas, like almost "catching" then listen to hear if your fuel pump in clicking. If not, take off the kickstand side side cover under the pillion - rear bolt only- front one is fake - and tap on the cover of the fuel pump with the key on- points get stuck .....and so do you. Points can be replaced - you don't have to buy a whole new fuel pump - but what ever you do, fix the problem now as it can happen while going 80mph in the fast lane. Trust me on that.

VentureFar...

Pull up the Maintenance section on this web site,

Read EVERYTHING that is posted there !!!

When its new tire, replacement, time, buy Dunlop " E-3's " !!!!

Use " Ride On " in your tires ( its a good thing to do !! )

Start checking into an aftermarket seat, sooner or later you will know why !!

Handling, is improved with a One Size, narrower Front tire !! ( lots of articles posted on

this subject )

Add, a can of " Sea-Foam " to fuel 2 or 3 times each rideing season .

Keep, reading this site, you will find more information !!!

• 2 weeks later...
Took me a year to find out i had a clock on the bike. A friend asked me why i had stuck a cheap dollar store clock on the dash, when i had a clock on the bike already....:o

Showed me how to get to it...Hold down the odometer reset button for 3 or 4 secs and you get the clock display.:bang head:

Then there is the one on how to set cruise without the bike slowing down and then jerking to get the speed up again. I will let someone else explain this one. :beer:

This just saved me from buying a handlebar clock this very minute.

Forget the fingernails .... use a nylon putty spreader ... the kind you'd get for smearing bondo onto a vehicle.

Also, you can use WD40 instead of goo-gone.

12 volt aux plug ... many "nubes" don't know it exists ... it's inside fairing, left side, down a ways (almost hidden).

Good grief! I just went out with a flashlight to see this! Yay! Now I can charge my phone.

The 12 volt aux plug inside fairing only has 5 amp fuse. Will blow if you try to use a mini compressor or anything with big amp draw.

Fuses are located in lower right side cowling.

There are many articles in the Tech Talk section under Second Generation that will give you lots of good tips on how to do fixes, upgrades, etc. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Also check out Tech Library Second Generation

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Now you tell me........just blew mine using a mini compressor......:confused24:

This just saved me from buying a handlebar clock this very minute.

Shoot the Yamaha dealer I got my venture from swore out didn't have a clock. I found out otherwise pretty quick online. It's a small but old dealership, was disappointed that they didn't know their product better.

• 1 year later...

This is my reply about Handicap plates on a motorcycle.

Why should you be scared, I have them on my Venture. I have a degenerative disk problem with my back and I ride every chance I get so it helps me to be able to ride and still enjoy it when I am able. Also when I am riding, I have no problem, when I stop and park if often becomes a different matter. It comes in handy when some idiot is not parking in a handicap zone and I do not have to walk as far as I would otherwise. Yes, I also have to use a cane that is tied down to my luggage rack with Velcro.

Edited by Drfrog

• 5 months later...

A lot of people leave the petcock on reserve all the time. I don't. In bright light I often don't even see when the light comes on so the sputtering is my warning that I am low on gas. To answer your question, NO, the light does NOT come on before I have to switch to reserve. It usually comes on just a couple miles later.

I like this post, what made this sight worth money to me. Last year when I got my bike and got on this forum, some guy called me, cannot remember his name now, and I went out to my bike and he talked me through, where the 12 adapter is, how to make cruise control work better, the setting and resume at the same time. I already knew about the folding antenna, I had a Goldwing before this.

someone that is smarter, more organized than me, could put together a book, with pictures, for dummies like me, and post it.

In the gas tank? Why would one do that except to futz around?

VentureFar...

Well futzing is rewarding in it's own right. But wouldn't it be handy if the low fuel light came on BEFORE the motor stumbles?

I am religious about trip reset at fuel up anyways. stumbled at 176 and went to 198 before fuel.

PS thanks for all the secrets! The cruise set/speed drop thing had been bugging me already.

I'll guess the cruise set up down rocker is supposed to "self cancel" return to the center position? Mine doesn't, it sat in a very windy dusty area for a long time. Dousing with garage door lube didn't "fix" it, hey a guy can HOPE.

Guest Jamsie

Only the volume control is active when riding. to change stations the bars have to be at full lock ( uk spec bike ) . The headset has to be set manual , press settings once then up/down within 2 seconds to change from speakers to headset

I run to reserve all the time. I catch the fuel miles count up within 1 to 2 miles and switch to reserve. FYI if I get gas immediately I fill up with 4.2 gallons exactly. Which left me about 1.5 or 1.6 gal.

Also did you see the hole punching of the filler neck to get an additional .4 into the tank?

VentureFar...

4.29 gallon at 197 miles about 20 miles after stumble sent me to reserve. never saw the light come on. (wife can verify....) It was my first day on the bike. Will look for the overfill cheat thread, Thanks. My old XS650 doesn't have a "neck skirt", topped off just before motel, parking lot was quite angled, hot, sunny. Fuel overflowed and stripped the decals off a very nice paint job. :bang head:

hotrod resto 005.jpg

Mr paint got it looking good again.

A lot of people leave the petcock on reserve all the time. I don't. In bright light I often don't even see when the light comes on so the sputtering is my warning that I am low on gas. To answer your question, NO, the light does NOT come on before I have to switch to reserve. It usually comes on just a couple miles later.

Mine depends on my riding, on the slab @ 75 mph or better, have to switch to reserve before the light comes on, around home short hops, the light comes on and can go up to 20 miles before needing to switch to reserve.