IGNORED

New Award?

Freebird

I got a PM from Tomephil suggesting that I create a new award in honor of Gunboat. I think it's a great idea and would like your input on what it should take to earn it.

Now there are two options.

We already have the Exceptional Member award. I could simply rename that one in his honor.

I could create an entirely new award. Then we would need to come up with some criteria regarding what is required to earn it. In my opinion, if we create a new one, it would need to be distinctively different than the Exceptional Member award. Maybe even limited to only a few recipients per year. This could be done through an annual nomination process and then voted on or whatever.

These are just initial thoughts folks. Your opinions are encouraged.

my thought, was for the people that service, other people. Church, Community service, Food banks, Helping Hands ( Go get someone stranded on the highway & help them get going again).

Example: Tom Tom, Not having an Ice cream for 1 year award ( Calm down Tom Tom )

Things to this nature:clap2::thumbsup2::big-grin-emoticon:

my thought,

Example: Tom Tom, Not having an Ice cream for 1 year award ( Calm down Tom Tom )

Things to this nature:clap2::thumbsup2::big-grin-emoticon:[/quote

TSK TSK...sorry to see that you're drinking heavily again......try rehab.....and hang in there this time. :stirthepot: :fnd_(16): :fnd_(16): :fnd_(16): :fnd_(16): :fnd_(16): :fnd_(16): :fnd_(16): :fnd_(16): :fnd_(16): :fnd_(16): :fnd_(16): :fnd_(16): :fnd_(16):

Edited by BIG TOM

Although I have never personally met Gunboat. I have seen his name and activities here on the forum.

If it is going to be more about his personality and less about motorcycles then I suggest one or more of the following.

• service to country
  • service to community
  • service to a fellow person in need, regardless of situation
  • an outstanding or unselfish act that had benefit to others but no benefit to the provider
  • service to their respective church (this may be touchy for some people of other or no affiliation)
  • unique and unselfish act ( no specific offered, and must be submitted by anyone else other than the provider)

There is my 2 cents worth. :2cents:

Steve

aka Bubber

Along the same line, it would be helpful to note in someones header that they have passed on. I tried to contact Don Brechun at one time only to find out he had passed on. He was very knowledgeable in TCI repair.

As with any large group of people, there will be losses. Some form of notation would help notify others that person has passed.

Gary

Along the same line, it would be helpful to note in someones header that they have passed on. I tried to contact Don Brechun at one time only to find out he had passed on. He was very knowledgeable in TCI repair.

As with any large group of people, there will be losses. Some form of notation would help notify others that person has passed.

Gary

The TCI is the brains of the bike . . . . great idea kind of thing

I don't want anyone to be offended but, maybe this award should be posthumous. I'm thinking like maybe a Venturerider Hall of Fame member. Someone such as Gunboat who gave until his last breath. Please, I hope no one's offended by this suggestion. Afterall , it's just a suggestion.

Why be offended? Like you said it was a suggestion.

That is how ideas spawn and grow.

i agree its a suggestion and that's what Don is asking for ideas and input so no one should be offended for any suggestion some one makes if they are im sorry to say that they are short sighted and this is to Honor a Friend and VR Family member not them i think its a great idea

my :2cents:

The Gunboat award

Awarded to 'name' for his/her unselfish act of kindness in helping a rider by providing overnight lodging be it a camp site or sofa

for hosting a M&E

for lending a hand for emergency repairs

there are too many circumstances that would fall into Dons area of giving that I can't post them all here and perhaps it needs to be more precise ?

btw - Don sent me my one and only Darksiders Patch - what a guy

The exceptional awards pretty much covers all of the bases. Renaming it the Gunboat award or something like it would be fine. I liked Squids idea of a yearly memorial run to honor Don. Maybe a commerative patch can be offered to honor fallen VR members such as Gunboat. A different patch for every year the memorial run is held.

The exceptional awards pretty much covers all of the bases. Renaming it the Gunboat award or something like it would be fine. I liked Squids idea of a yearly memorial run to honor Don. Maybe a commerative patch can be offered to honor fallen VR members such as Gunboat. A different patch for every year the memorial run is held.

:sign yeah that:

I think a re-name of the current award would be best fitting and less confusion about a exceptional member award verses the gunboat award, after all Gunboat was

"the exceptional member" that we should all try to be.

My $.02

Mike

I think a re-name of the current award would be best fitting and less confusion about a exceptional member award verses the gunboat award, after all Gunboat was

"the exceptional member" that we should all try to be.

My $.02

Mike

I have been pondering this all today and yesterday, and nothing has really jumped out at me. I'm leaning towards renaming the exceptional member the Gunboat award. I also think we should let this run for a bit, not every good idea comes in a few days.

Don did embody what the exceptional member award is all about. Someone that goes above and beyond to help a fellow member. Don will always be a hero to me, he has set the standard high for who I need to be, and I will strive to be like him in as many ways as I can....

the idea is awsome about the memorial run is also great. Pick a date and people all over ventureland can make the ride in there own neck of the country and report in.

I like this idea Dan, we can pick a date and as many of our VR members in different states can set up a M&E and we can all ride in honor of Gunboat....great idea!

I have been pondering this all today and yesterday, and nothing has really jumped out at me. I'm leaning towards renaming the exceptional member the Gunboat award. I also think we should let this run for a bit, not every good idea comes in a few days.

Don did embody what the exceptional member award is all about. Someone that goes above and beyond to help a fellow member. Don will always be a hero to me, he has set the standard high for who I need to be, and I will strive to be like him in as many ways as I can....

Me too Squid,

I am brewing it in the back of my mind also.

Don was all the above but to me, the thing that stands above the rest was this. Its hard to put into words but you had a better day after spending time with him. If that makes sense.

What I say about my father in law is that if you look up the word "gentleman" in a dictionary, my father in law's picture is beside the word. Don's picture is there too.

I just don't know how to categorize it.

Lets see what everyone comes up with.

Tom

Edited by tomephil
spelling

We can make the ride in late aug or sept so most of the folks in our group can ride the same day. There should not be any snow cover anythere at that time of the year. As long as no rains or floods creep up on us we can all make the run just at different times same day.:backinmyday: