IGNORED

Luggage Rack Locator? (Locater??)

Semi-retired

OK......I got my "new" luggage rack home from MD without incident (i.e. it actually fits INSIDE the trunk it is designed to augment........sort of ironic/Confuscian, doncha think????)

Anyway, not to wax philosophical........I've got the rack sitting in "dry-mount"/"test-mount"/"position-only" on my trunk lid (see attached pics).......but can't for the life of me figure out how I would know if it's in EXACTLY the "right" spot on the deck.

Is there a mounting template that normally comes with these things when you buy them through "official channels"? (I picked mine up from the tall guy in the orange hat......and, damn my short memory.....what's his name again?? http://www.venturerider.org/forum/at...3&d=1370879583

We discussed all the intricacies of picking the right bolts, washers and grommets......but never really talked about how to pick an exact position/location.

My thoughts, for what they're worth, are:

- keep the front 'legs' about an inch back from the backrest so the vinyl ('er, fine Corinthian leather) can still be accessed for cleaning. (Armorall)

- Make sure (for aesthetics, if nothing else) the back end doesn't extend beyond a vertical line up from the trailing edge of the trunk lid itself.

- use the lid lock to find centre at the back end.....which is fine.....but the Midnight grommets on the upholstery don't seem to be centered on the backrest, so that method doesn't work for the front end!

Should I just be getting a tape measure out and getting every edge TWO INCHES FROM "SOMETHING"??

Just curious if there was a "right" way.

Thanks, anybody!

P1080075-400.jpg

P1080076-400.jpg

P1080077-400.jpg

Edited by Semi-retired

run a piece of painters tape, over the area's, where you think the holes should be. Now take a #2 pencil and blacken the bottom of each post, where the holes will be. Lay it in the area you believe the rack will look best, and press the rack down, making lite indents on the painters tape, and leaving pencil marks.now drill the holes out on you trunk.

should look like this when your done

I could get some stainless supports made for you. Will need the measurements though, length and width. Saves on the trunk cracking in the future. Made from 304 18ga mirror stainless.

Then you have a reason for a ride to come here and have them installed.

You mean this guy, Michael?

Why, I wouldn't have bought a thing from that shyster. Good luck, I say!

You'd think an Irish Scottsman (like a guy named Michael Scott) would be more mindful when meeting a fellow member of the clan. My apologies.

Here's my story (excuse), and I'm sticking to it: MY FIRST MD........TOO MANY NEW FACES.....TOO MANY NEW NAMES.....TOO MANY PRETTY MOTORCYCLES!!

Thanks, again, for the rack, buddy. Looking forward to having a good place to strap down all those "oversized" items. (Jackie's extra suitcase, most likely!)

I could get some stainless supports made for you. Will need the measurements though, length and width. Saves on the trunk cracking in the future. Made from 304 18ga mirror stainless.

Then you have a reason for a ride to come here and have them installed.

Stainless? Sounds pricey. Being half Irish/half Scottish...see elsewhere in this thread...I wouldn't wanna end up spending more on the brackets than I did on the rack. :)

Should I phone to confirm all details, Carl? Can't imagine anyone wants to hear my sordid haggling and/or be exposed to any mechanical ineptitude. (Do SO MANY of you guys HAVE to be retired engineers?!?!)

Thanks for the offer, Carl. Lemme know what you/I need.

Problem I had locating holes for trunk rack was that rulers are straight and trunk is curved. Put tape on trunk to mark hole locations and used string to check spacing in all directions, including diagonally, to make sure rack was sitting square on trunk.

A cloth measuring tape like what tailors or dress makers use works well for measuring around corners and not scratching the paint.

Excellent idea! (I already experienced the "booooiiiinnnngggg" factor while trying to use a retractable metal tape yesterday!)

I'll raid Jackie's sewing box.

:)

Problem I had locating holes for trunk rack was that rulers are straight and trunk is curved. Put tape on trunk to mark hole locations and used string to check spacing in all directions, including diagonally, to make sure rack was sitting square on trunk.

Thanks for the string idea, Leo. You're right: working your way around those multi-faceted curves is worse than an ant trying to negotiate the surface of a golf ball. At least golf ball dimples are uniform. There aren't a lot of fixed/square points of reference back there from which to take dimensions.

Using a piece of string, I can wrap over under around and through various "obstacles" to determine equi-distance and squareness. (Your DIAGONAL suggestion is also a good one.....just like squaring up a garden plot.) All I have to do now is find a piece of "good" string that isn't gonna stretch on me! :)

Thanks a lot, guys!

As Kevin said when he walked up to me at MD.......I WAS almost the only person there on a Gen2 that DIDN'T have a luggage rack........so I figured there'd be lots of collective wisdom on how to mount this sucker........and I was right!!

Thanks a bunch for all your tips.

I owe y'all a coffee. Come on up and git it!:)

That's 'cause I started in on ol' Mike right off the bat with my spiel. And lawdy, lawdy he bit as soon as the rack hit his trunk. I love it when I can get a Scot to part with his money.

That must be where you got the HAMMER part of your handle. (I'm sure people probably think it's to do with your OTHER profession).

Have you ever thought about flipping real estate? There's gotta be more money in IT than in flipping RSV accessories! :)

Have you ever thought about flipping real estate? There's gotta be more money in IT than in flipping RSV accessories! :)

Undoubtedly, since I actually took a loss on the rack sale. I just felt fortunate to be able to recover SOME of my "investment", especially gratifying though, to see a naked RSV finally get dressed.

...Looking forward to having a good place to strap down all those "oversized" items. (Jackie's extra suitcase, most likely!)

FYI.... weight limit recommended on trunk racks is 20lbs. You will need the support between supports to spread the weight. Remember... your trunk is only thin ABS plastic. As Carl has offered, a stainless steel strip on each side (front to back) on top and inside the trunk will save you grief later.

IMHO that rack isn't made for the 2ndGen trunk. It looks more like it came off a 1stGen MKII. The MKII's have a cowling behind the passenger back rest the needs to be cleared. Attached is a pick of the rack on the '07RSV with the strap on the base as well as a duplicate strap under the trunk lid for stiffness and support. Don't laugh. It took a long time to get the bike in that perfect position to take that pic.... :whistling:

IMHO that rack isn't made for the 2ndGen trunk. It looks more like it came off a 1stGen MKII. The MKII's have a cowling behind the passenger back rest the needs to be cleared.

Yep, you are correct regarding the rack was not originally intended for the G2. It is for a Honda GL1500. I had purchased it on eBay with the assurances that it would fit my 1990 VR. It did not. The front legs landed on the vinyl armrests.

There were two other G2 Ventures at Don's MD that had that same GL1500 rack on their trunks. In fact, I took Mike over to Joe Pat's Venture to show him what it would look like on his bike. So as not to be disingenuous, I also explained that the rack was not a Genuine Yamaha rack and showed Mike what the Yamaha racks looked like on the Venture and pointed out the reinforcing straps, etc.

Attached is a pick of the rack on the '07RSV with the strap on the base as well as a duplicate strap under the trunk lid for stiffness and support. Don't laugh. It took a long time to get the bike in that perfect position to take that pic.... :whistling:

Wouldn't it have been easier to climb a ladder to get that "top-down" shot?

Kidding!!!

But on a serious note, Carl HAS got a guy who can make up some inner/outer reinforcing "straps" for me.......but I'm curious to know if anyone has seen/acquired/bastardized (pardon the language, ladies) any other "stock" piece (from ANY other application) that might be used for this install?? (Maybe the fellow who was handing out the side-stand parking pads has some other nice "off-cuts"!! :-)

Not that I'm ungrateful, Carl, just wondering if the gauge of that sample you showed me is gonna be thick enough for the Gen2's expansive trunk lid.

As we discussed......it works great on the Gen1, because a) Gen1 has a much shorter space between the rack support posts......and, b) it's FLAT....whereas the Gen2 lid is curved in two planes. (the curvature factor DOES, mind you, suggest that I don't wanna get TOO thick a strap or I won't be able to "bend-to-fit" as well as I would with the thinner stuff.)

So, Kevin, I can't recall: did the one(s) you showed me only use "washers"...or was there a "strap" on it/them? Any thoughts about load-carrying capacity of one method vs the other? Anyone?

... just wondering if the gauge of that sample you showed me is gonna be thick enough for the Gen2's expansive trunk lid. ...

Check out a 2nd Gen with the oem rack and compare it to what Carl can get you. If we get together sometime you can check mine out.