IGNORED

Dental Implants worth it or not?

etcswjoe

Went to the dentist a few months back and he suggested I look into getting implants for the 4 back teeth I am missing. After several office visits with the oral surgeon and $400 later they tell me my insurance will not cover any of it and that the cost will be $10,000. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around paying that much money for teeth I have been missing for 20 years. Has anyone had implants put in and was it worth it?

I feel for ya. Was told the other day they needed to replace one of my caps... $1000

It was $600 10 YEARS AGO when the root canalwas performed and anchors were set.

So... he wants a cool Grand just to pull old chipped cap off and cement a new one on????:bang head:

Not me.............Falsies........Yep, laugh all you want..

I don't care about caps, implants or ever going back to see a dentist ever again. no need to if done right.

Had mine removed back in 1981 and I have never ever regretted it.

I can eat anything too, apples, corn on the cob and I chew ice regularly...:cool10:

I don't care about caps, implants or ever going back to see a dentist ever again. no need to if done right.

I can eat anything too, apples, corn on the cob and I chew ice regularly...:cool10:

My wife told me I could get a whole set of dentures alot cheaper.

I've had mine since I was 22 yrs old (44 yrs ago now) ... on the 3rd set now and just like going to a dentist, the price keeps going up LOL

Regrets? not a chance! Would I trade for real teeth ... NO. Implants... maybe.

One thing about dentures is when ya want to give a REALLY BIG SMILE ... ya CAN! LOL

44 yrs old still have half my tees they are slowly going from gingivitis no hope but kept mine longer than mom she lost hers at 38 anyway dentures for me when that time comes no implant no way to darn expensive heck my leg surgery plates screws and hospital stay for 2 weeks is cheaper than the mouth work they have to do

Had to make the decision a few years back - implants or partial bridge. In my case, the coverage for the implants was $0 and the cost was closer to $2000 each. Really didn't like the thought of a partial denture and at a weaker moment, I decided to have the implants. After the fact, paying out all that money for teeth doesn't hurt quite as much. However, you should know that they are not as good as what mother nature gave you. I can still feel the difference. Also, not all jaw bones will take the implants without some bone grafting. The actual procedure was not as 'painful" as I thought it might be. So far, I have had no problems. Would I do it again - likely.

I'm leaning towards the implants. I too have four moulders with caps that. I was told to have a 10 yr shelf life. At 42 yrs old I could reasonably see replacing them two to three times Lord willing and with permanent I would be done, maybe.

Cannot believe this topic came up. I just broke a lower molar. :bang head: Did a good job and blew out a side below the gum line. Yes, need an implant. There is no pain, so nerve must be dead. Hopefully doc is in tomorrow. Worried that this may impact our trip to Freebird's MD. Will find out tomorrow.

I'm going to get dentures, if I can find someone to pull my teeth. The dentists around here won't, period, exclamation point.

don't care if I have to go to florida to do so....

I'm a grinder and although half my front teeth are good they are ground down. All of the back grinding teeth are shot and I'm not doing implants.

I have had weak enamel on my teeth my whole life. In my 20s I had 13 teeth crowned. When I had my car accident in 07 I knocked out 5 of my front teeth. That left me with 23 teeth left. I went to Dentist and was told all my crowns needed replaced and needed some other teeth crowned plus a bridge for the front teeth. The grand total 32 thousand. I went and had all my teeth pulled and dentures made at a cost of 4800 dollars. I waited 6 months after having teeth pulled before had dentures made. They fit like a glove after 3 years and like Eck I can eat anything.

I can at a later date have metal implant bars put in to snap my dentures to but that isnt cheap either.

John

Just my :2cents:

Is there a Dental school close by? Here Locally there is the University of Mississippi Dental School. That is where my wife had her implants done. Don't remember the total cost, but it was NO WHERE NEAR the prices y'all have been mentioning! The care and work are excellent and being a teaching hospital the technology is cutting edge (no pun intended :yikes:)

Joe,

There is a "drive thru" dental place in Florence SC! 24/7

Kidding about drive thru. But actually the place has been there since 1923 and claims to be the original "one day denture clinic". Sexton Dental Clinic.

I had a friend who went there and had all teeth pulled (he had a mouth of corn teeth) and drove home with fitted dentures. Affordable too, prices are posted on their site.

Worth investigating. Maybe they go past dentures.

http://www.sextondental.net/

I suggested it to my wife but she went local and got a $10k disappointment only to find another DR for her uppers.

Keep smiling,

Mike G

Joe,

There is a "drive thru" dental place in Florence SC! 24/7

Kidding about drive thru. But actually the place has been there since 1923 and claims to be the original "one day denture clinic". Sexton Dental Clinic.

I had a friend who went there and had all teeth pulled (he had a mouth of corn teeth) and drove home with fitted dentures. Affordable too, prices are posted on their site.

Worth investigating. Maybe they go past dentures.

http://www.sextondental.net/

I suggested it to my wife but she went local and got a $10k disappointment only to find another DR for her uppers.

Keep smiling,

Mike G

Mike,

Thanks I dropped them a message will see what they say.

I am strongly leaning towards doing nothing at this time and if i need dentures later that will be the route I go. I can't understand why dental work cost so much.

for the time and place, in life. I was scuba diving every weekend and training for a Padi Divemaster. I had to have my dentist make special mouth plates, for my regulators. after a while that go to expensive. I had a Plate made, for the 4 teeth that were missing on the right side of the mouth. cheaper, than the implants. I paid 1400.00 for the plate ( that have been there now 18 years) I inquired about upgrading, but the price was too much. My brother in law, suggested going to brazil, and having the work done. airfair & a place to stay, for the work to be done was cheaper then going to a local dentist by thousand of dollars ( just something to thing about )

Go to my dentist....very reasonable charges.......................:Avatars_Gee_George:

:missingtooth:

At the rate American dentists are going, this ype of service could be a reality here in a few years .

There is no pain akin to toothaches. That woman I'm sure was glad there was someone around she could afford.

Ragtop69.... errrrrrrr pass! lol This Greengos staying north of the border... Although I do head for the border from time to time to get my steak chalupe Supremes...:whistling:

Mike G in SC... that's a real possibility...thanks!

Cannot believe this topic came up. I just broke a lower molar. :bang head: Did a good job and blew out a side below the gum line. Yes, need an implant. There is no pain, so nerve must be dead. Hopefully doc is in tomorrow. Worried that this may impact our trip to Freebird's MD. Will find out tomorrow.

Went to dentist this morning. Not enough tooth left to directly attach crown. However, I don't need an implant. Need a root canal, post and crown. Going to doc later this morning for the root canal. It will take about a month to complete the work. Sadly, will not be going to Freebird's MD.