IGNORED

Eye Glasses - Opinions

BradT

Brad,

Stay away from the magnetic ones. Leslie lost hers without even noticing they were gone until too late. I use the clip on ones and they work very well. I also get the transition lenses but they need direct sun light to work so the clip on sun glasses work better when driving the motor-home or car and even the bike with a visor on the helmet.

Hey Guys

I too had problems with the magnetic ones going for their own ride while cruising down the 407. I opted for a more expensive approach going with Addidas A135 Evil Eye Glasses. they have interchangeable lenses, adjustable arms, a handy little brow sweat catcher, and the option i need is prescription lenses that snap into them so i can again see where I'm going. These are great in the rain, deflect big bugs no problem. The price is the only downfall at approx $400 (that was 2 yrs ago) maybe they came down since then. Definately worth a look.

I had been thinking of transitions again myself. I hear they are better than several years ago.

Right now I have a cheap (16$) pair of clip ons I bought at Walmart in Ft.Collins. They are spring loaded and very easy to remove even while moving.

Had magnetics and lost them....dont know where.

I haven't had problems with clip-ons. Never had magnets. What I don't like about sun glasses is riding through an area with a lot of transitions between heavy shade and bright light. I can't see much when I move from bright to shade if I have sunglasses on.

I bought some window film and put it on the top 2" (more or less) of my clear shield. This is the static cling kind that removes easily. It's just above eye level so the sun only has to be up a few degrees for normal head position to block it. If the sun is low, I just tilt my head forward and look through the tint.

Drawbacks so far... static cling type of tint is thick. The shield doesn't close completely (can't get that last 'click'). It isn't as dark as I would like. One day, I'm going to go to a professional tint place and get them to lay some 'permanent' dark tint in the same place.

I have no clue how it looks... I haven't stepped in front of a mirror with my helmet on. Those that know me, know I don't try to make a fashion statement. No way can I look 'cool'. I just want to be comfortable and see where I'm going.

I have a pair of the darkest polorized perscription shades I could get and had them ground for distance. When I put them on my eyes go 'Ahhhhh!!' When I stop for any reason, or when riding at night, I put on my photo-sun bifocals. Nothing beats eye strain like polorized sunglasses.

dose antone know of a good wource for non prescrioption transition sunglasses? i dont were glasses and alway ended up with only my sunglasses at night and i dont think this NH laws carries here in FL

New Hampshire

Drivers and passengers under 18 must wear a helmet

All drivers and passengers must wear protective eyewear (unless motorcycle has full windshield)

Id like somthing that turns Clear for nighttime and darker for daytime

I wear a 3/4 helmet and prefer the extra protection of polycarbonate shades that fit over my prescription glasses. If something airborne hits me in the face, it hits the plastic, not the glass. The lens are gray, which is the least color-distorting. I also wear yellow fit-overs for night-riding, which brightens everything. Available at Walgreens and Wally World for $10-$20.

Terry

I need new eye glasses and was wondering how those magnetic sun glasses stay on while riding. ? Anyone using them ?

Are they okay or should I just get a pair of perscription sun glasses for riding ?

Brad

I have the Wily-X SG1's sunglasses with the transition lenses and my perscription in them a little pricey with the added cost of the transition and percription but i dont ride with out them ever if i for get them and whear my normal glasses i will know and switch them within a block as the wind drys out my eyes

I just got new glases last wek with the new transitions lenses and they seem to have better response time than the old ones, and without sunlight they look completely clear, no hint of tint. As a matter of fact, when I picked them up I was honestly wondring if they made a mistake and forgot to give me the transition lenses. Bought them from a local chain called Best Optical and they cost less than what I normally pay at a wholesale club.

While I was there I also looked at "Biker" style glasses and found a pair I absolutely love.they have removable tinted lenses that come in several covers, and the perscription lenses fit inside clear frames behind the tinted lenses so you don't see them unless you have the clear lenses in. I will be sporting a new look at Marcarls and possibly at the M&E Mar 1...

Brad,

Lonna had a set of magnetic ones on her glasses and didn't loose them until the accident. Of course she is usually sitting behind me so that I imagine blocks some of the wind. I have a pair of $10 clip ons and they work just fine

:happy34:

Same with my magnetic, they were brought back to me at the hospital, by the RCMP Officer. That was the day, I took out the deer, with my 83 VR.

I use the magnetic clipons and have used them for 2 years riding with both a 3/4 and full-face helmet without visors. I did loose them once in a strong crosswind wearing the 3/4. Turned around and found them at the side of the pavement without a scratch. Not sure if I'd recommend them but they work for me.:322:

Have tried most of the clip ons and transitions over the years. Now use non transition glasses with otg (over the glasses) sunglasses. Cocoons is one of the brand names but there are many manufacturers. They are slighly larger style wise but I like the goggle type protection when riding, boating etc.

Ohh Sherry had a pair of magnetic sunglasses, she lost them before even getting on the bike. i didnt like the little magnets they use. now if they had a big magnet and you have a metal plate in your head they may work.

i use a pair of clip ons that flip up, so while driving if i go through a tunnel i can just flip them up.

i do like the idea of duct tape.

my next pair will be transitions.