IGNORED

which loctite to use??

dallio

Blue is the normal choice but be aware that you need to keep it away from the ABS plastic as it'll eat it up. Locktite does make a thread sealer for ABS applications. I don't know the number off hand so you'll need to look it up. :080402gudl_prv:

Larry

Ditto that! Put some on my Honda turn indicator screw and two weeks later the thing crumbled to pieces. Be careful!!!!!!

wasn't there somthing regarding loctite and aluminum that one should be aware of as well as ABS ???

Nothing major that l know of you should use a primer and make sure its clean. We loctite every fastener where l work and 90% is in aluminum.

There is also loctite 290 that you can put on after it is assembled, along with loctite tape and the lip stick style.

There is a bunch of blue loctite

From the manufacturer:

Thank you for your interest in Henkel products. What you have been told about 242 and other anaerobic (normal) threadlockers is true. They are incompatible with many plastics, including ABS. A better removable threadlocking option is Loctite 425, which is also blue and low-strength, but is cyanoacrylate (super glue) based. So even if you happen to get a little on the ABS, it should surface cure, minimizing the chance for stress cracking. Please contact our Technical Information department at (800) 562-8483 if you'd like to discuss in greater detail.

which loctite is the best to use if you want to be able to remove the bolts later? i have looked at the different choices and i think the blue is the one i want but would like your input.:confused24:

Dallio,

If the application is a bolt only, or bolt/nut combination, us a Nord-Lock washer instead of Loctite.

If you are absolutely sure you will be removing it later, us the Nord-Lock.

I am a sales rep for Grainger. We sell boat loads of Loctite. However, we are seeing more and more people who know they are going to be removing the bolt later, switching to the Nord-Lock washer.

It is a European designed double washer system that takes the place of Loctite, or standard lock washers. I have several demo kits, and I can finger tighten the bolt with a Nord-Lock under the head, and you won't get it loose without using a wrench.

I have a manufacturing customer that I call on that switched from using a thread locking material to putting Nord-Lock washers on their milling machines because the vibration was so harsh it was causing bolts to back out, even with Loctite on them.

Just a suggestion.

Call me if you have any questions.

501-766-2864

• 3 weeks later...

Blue is used for stuff you will want to take apart someday. I think of it as a chemical lock washer.

Red is for stuff you don't want to come apart (might need a torch to get it hot to remove).

Green is when you have too much clearance and buying new parts not an option.

Loctite doesn't work so well with Aluminum or Stainless Steel, in these cases use Loctite Primer N, which contains a small amount of copper to help cure it.

Loctite PST is the greatest pipe sealant.

no, I'm not a loctite sales rep.

Roy