IGNORED

New Owner - Best and most critical mods?

Just unloaded my new 07 Venture from the truck and ready to start working on it. Got a little money to spend and want to know what everyone recommends as the immediate mods, critical, then those nice to have and the order i should start knocking them out in... Ive seen a lot of talk on the site of exhaust, leveling, passing lights, led's, etc but thought it would be nice for us newbies to have the vetrans give us the list from their experience...

Thoughts?

For safety:

1) Rick Butlers rear brake mod

2) Extra lights up front

2a) Headlight modulator... some people hate them... I know mine has helped some folks see me when they wouldn't have otherwise.

3) Extra lights in back

4) Stebel horn

For handling:

5) Levelling links

6) If you have Dunlops, I'd use them

If Bridgestone, I'd lose them... I like the Avon tires.

For comfort:

7) Backrest (Utopia or Diamond R)

8) Highway pegs

9) Lower wind deflectors. I like the Yamaha ones.

10) My big, wide Clearview shield has been nice this winter

Think I'll vent and cut down the stock shield for the summer.

11) Sheepskin on the seat... summer and winter

For fun:

12) GPS and some tunes for the road!

Or you can just enjoy the ride!

Big Shell is right on track, I would say that if I were to do 3 they would be

Lights in the front/additional rear brake light

Backrest

Clearview shield (if your running 2 up, momma will love you for it)

Lots of stuff you can do, and the tire thing, well we could go on and on with that. But loosing the Bridgestones would be a priority, I like the Avon Venoms. Keep coming with questions and search the 2nd gen tech library and forum...we'll definitely help you spend your money :happy34:

1) Absolutely free: put some air in the suspension! Yammy delivers the bike with zero pressure front and rear. For me (solo rider, 190 pounds) 3 psi front and 15 psi rear is good. Sportier riders and those with heavier loads will want more.

2) Don't just get Avon tyres -- make sure you get the narrower MT90B16 front tyre.

3) Additional lights front and rear.

4) If you ever ride in the rain or fog, you'll want to change that windshield. Shorten it or change it for one that leans back further or both. You won't be able to see through the stock shield in bad rain, prolonged fog, or even moderate rain at night.

5) If you plan on riding several hours or more at a time, get a rider backrest from Utopia or DiamondR.

6) If your arms are not especially long and you plan on long rides, consider Barons risers, to avoid aches between your shoulders.

There are a lot more possilities, but it seems to me that these are the big-bang items.

Oh, yeah: I always carry a trowel with me. Can anyone guess why?

All good advise,one thing in my opinion use a hand pump to put air in the shocks.I use one from a bike shop that has a gauge on it. You can pick one up at The Harley shops also.If you ask Yamaha for one they usually have a blank look on their face. Here is a pic of the kind to go for.Click link http://www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=GP-0-60&affid=4 can get a better price just a reference. The reason I say use this type is I believe alot of people shoot too much air in the shock and if not weaken it,blow the shock seals. WHERE IN TEXAS? Blanco,TX here. Tom

You're right about that hand-air-pump. Not only will you get the right amount in, but you will have a much better chance of getting the same amount in both the left and right forks with this kind of pump. If the fork pressures are not balanced, the bike feels wrong in turns.

Oh, yeah: I always carry a trowel with me. Can anyone guess why?

My guess is for the same reason I carry an electrical junction box cover with me. Tie a wire/string to it thru one of the screw holes. You can then pick it up without having to lean over with the bike stood up. Wrap the wire around the cover and slide it into the mesh pocket on the inside of the right hand saddlebag. Works great as .....

A kickstand foot pad.

This is essential in the summer as the weight of the bike will bury the kickstand in hot asphalt. Also important if you park on gravel or dirt. These bikes prefer to sleep standing up.

RR

Hey Jim.

:welcome1:

It is always great to see another Texan on a Venture!!!! Where in Texas are you located. Athens, Tx here.

One of the first things I did was add more LIGHTS.....Front and Rear. It is important to be seen and Yamaha just did not get it right for a bike like the Venture. Lots of options out there for the rear so just check out some of the threads on this sight and let us know if you have questions.

Next on my list was:

Highway Pegs, Saddle Bag Guards and GPS....especially if your going to be taking some long trips.

Let us know where your at and maybe we can get with you for some rides.

Mike

:cop:

That 1st gen crap sure gets old. Notice this is a 2nd gen tech forum.

Most important first thing to do for me was a lower windshield then raise the handle bars. A SOMA rear undertrunk light is a good addition. I got the back rest but not sure I really like it. Did the leveling links not sure I like that either. Also added a tank bib, inside trunk lights, foam grips, Life Saver rear brake damper, hiway pegs, Stebel horn, cup holder, shorty antenna, MP3 player and a GPS. Think safety and comfort before chrome do dads.

Great info guys... many thanks! Im in Amarillo, TX -- the panhandle --

Another question i had is what headsets do you recommend for the intercom system. I picked up some J&M units but looking for at least one that is easy to install remove so i can take it off and on quickly for my kiddo's helmets and other passengers...

Any ideas?

Good question,

Problem is that they all cost a lot of money, but my first choice will be the lights up front, Second will probably be Ricks brake mod,

Then from there it's all a matter of where you want to spend your money. (or my money, in my case)

That 1st gen crap sure gets old. Notice this is a 2nd gen tech forum.

That's for sure, and I own one. :)

Steve

2wheelsforme:

What kind of backrest did you get, and what don't you like? I'm close to ordering one for my '06, and interested in any input. Most seem to like 'em, but.......

Larry

I got the Utopia and it is just so big and the support is higher than I like. I have an Ultimate on my VTX, much smaller and hits my lower back better. Wish they made stuff for the Venture. It is also in the way when slinging a leg over and it crowds the passenger. The velcro zippered pouch on the back of it is nice.

1. 1ST........AVONS AND YES SMALLER ON FRONT
  2. 2ND........BUBS SLIP ONS SLEEPERS....AWESOME SOUND
  3. 3RD........LIGHTS EVERYWERE YOU CAN PUT THEM
  4. 4TH........GET AN IPOD........TAPE DECK SUX
  5. 5TH........PUT SOME MILES ON IT......THATS THE BEST PART THESE BEAST ARE MADE TO RIDE.....DON'T BE AFRAID TO SMOKE YOU A HARLEY OR TWO.
  6. :sign woo hoo:WELCOME TO THE VENTURE LIFE "THERES NO GOING BACK"

Guest tx2sturgis

Mods?

Ok...my current list:

Highway Pegs

Trunk Rack

Saddlebag Rails

Tank Bib with pouches

Opened pipes slightly for more sound

Red rear turn signal lenses

LED brakelight...I used the Radiantz

LED License Plate Frame

LED marker lights on trunk

Wider windshield, preferably shorter also

Heated Grips w/ variable control

Headlight Modulator...I used the Kisan

Voltage/Amperage/Temp monitor, again the Kisan

Cup/Mug Holder

XM radio...dont leave home without it!

Trailer hitch

Modulite trailer light controller (had to modify Radiantz unit slightly to make the modulite work correctly)

12v power socket wired in trunk for charging cell phone on the road

Graphics

Future mods:

Wagner Radiator Grille

Better tires

Butler mod

RoadKing Pipes

Custom Paint

Pretty gal for back seat

Forward facing Gatling Gun (just kidding)

Damn things are a work in progress, arent they?

As a matter of fact...I will be riding up to Amarillo thursday...if you see my scoot, wave!!

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=3556&d=1199230951

Safety 1st is what I went after.

Brighter headlight bulb and modulator. Comagination has a combo with the brake and headlight.

The rear is fatally dark. LED board brake light and I added run/stop/turn LED signal lights. All from Customdynamics.

Stebel horn - stock is a joke. Get noticed!!

Still needed - Driving lights with Amber lens (cause I want it that way).

Then comfort;

Pipes for sound (I have RK), backrest I find very necessary (Utopia), wire for aux plug to my MP3 player, speakers (alpine) and amp (still sitting in my garage).

Went smaller front tire (Avon) and love it, need to add my lowering kit.

You're right about that hand-air-pump. Not only will you get the right amount in, but you will have a much better chance of getting the same amount in both the left and right forks with this kind of pump. If the fork pressures are not balanced, the bike feels wrong in turns.

I think the Progressive Suspension Air Fork Balance Kit is a very good idea;

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp;jsessionid=VFN5LLHK4G5JLLA0WTVSM4VMDK0NCIV0?store=Main&skuId=58318

I haven’t ordered mine yet but will soon.

A lot of good ideas here but don’t forget to spend a little on yourself, safety first, get some good riding gear. Welcome to the family and congrats on the new scoot!