IGNORED

Yamahas thinking.....

bj66

I was reading in another forum (HD) and it got me to thinking. Alot of you know that I ride a Road Glide, and came off a RSTD. One of the main reasons for the switch was that Yamaha quit the RSTD and refuses to change the Venture. Every year we all wonder, will this be the year something gets changed?

So getting back to the other (HD) forum. Rumor there is that HD is going to stop Production on the Road Glide for at least the '14 year, and possibly the '15's as well. Sales of the Road Glides are really good right now, and you cant hardly find one at a dealer. Some say it is because they need to retool the fairing. Others say it is in high demand, and stopping production for a year will make it even more desirable. It is not uncommon for HD to stop production on models for a year, I believe they did it with one of their CVO's last year or year before. Then reintroduce them a year later.

I guess HD has more models and more sales so they can do this. Yamaha doesnt have as many options in the touring area and cant. Company philosophys are like night and day. So I guess we will wait and see if HD is just using this as a sales pitch or really going to do it. I guess with the Yamaha, if they kill it off, its DEAD. With HD you never know......

I guess I should have added. With HD there is always publicity, good or bad. Something for you to watch or follow. With Yamaha, its all quiet........nothing. Then for a day or so you hear same as year before. Not much publicity etc. totally different companys run totally different. Not saying one is better than the other, thats not the point. Everyone that owns a Venture knows its a good bike. To bad most of America doesnt know it too.

Edited by bj66

I wasnt trying to go the old HD/Yamaha bike comparison. I was simply stating one companies willingness to suspend production on a well liked, good selling bike. And the other companies willingness to keep a product the same for many, many years. Night and Day between the two philosophies...

Right now I'm the proud owner of a 06 Venture and an 05 HD Road Glide, like riding both. They both have riding characteristics of their own which I appreciate. The Harley has near perfect frame geometry, whereas I've spent many hours bringing the Venture too this point. If only Harley would put the V Rod engine in a dresser. While building a friends Venture from the frame up this past summer I did alot measuring and thinking about putting a Venture engine in a Harley frame. I already have a name set aside the V-Max-Harley.

WildBill:detective:

I wasnt trying to go the old HD/Yamaha bike comparison. I was simply stating one companies willingness to suspend production on a well liked, good selling bike. And the other companies willingness to keep a product the same for many, many years. Night and Day between the two philosophies...

And Yamaha didn't kill a rather successful, albeit poorly marketed Venture only to resurrect it a few years later. 1st as a Royal Star, then the 2nd Gen Venture.

Lets not forget the extremely popular VMax that was stopped in 2007 and then brought back a couple of years later.

And how about Yamaha's narrow approach at naming their products. That annoying VMax snowmobile that is always coming up on Ebay searches comes to mind.

Gary

Right now I'm the proud owner of a 06 Venture and an 05 HD Road Glide, like riding both. They both have riding characteristics of their own which I appreciate. The Harley has near perfect frame geometry, whereas I've spent many hours bringing the Venture too this point. If only Harley would put the V Rod engine in a dresser. While building a friends Venture from the frame up this past summer I did alot measuring and thinking about putting a Venture engine in a Harley frame. I already have a name set aside the V-Max-Harley.

WildBill:detective:

I really think Harley wants to take the Vrod power plant and start using it in their baggers.the Road Glide would be a good niche for a trial. A lot of Harley guys say they don't want a l/cooled bike let them get blown away by one a couple times and they will look way more attractive. As far as the Venture goes my wet dream is a New Vmax engine Detuned to around 140hp fi fixed fairing, heated grips and seat, and a 6th gear

And Yamaha didn't kill a rather successful, albeit poorly marketed Venture only to resurrect it a few years later. 1st as a Royal Star, then the 2nd Gen Venture.

Lets not forget the extremely popular VMax that was stopped in 2007 and then brought back a couple of years later.

And how about Yamaha's narrow approach at naming their products. That annoying VMax snowmobile that is always coming up on Ebay searches comes to mind.

Gary

I watched a commercial last night for a Yamaha V MAX outboard V4

I really think Harley wants to take the Vrod power plant and start using it in their baggers.the Road Glide would be a good niche for a trial. A lot of Harley guys say they don't want a l/cooled bike let them get blown away by one a couple times and they will look way more attractive. As far as the Venture goes my wet dream is a New Vmax engine Detuned to around 140hp fi fixed fairing, heated grips and seat, and a 6th gear

This is the rumor I have been hearing and it would be interesting. If they want to keep it a long distance tourer they will have to solve the small gas tank issue that they have with the V-Rod. It will take more than just dropping the V-Rod engine in the touring frame. I would be interested, although I am happy with my Ultra Limited.

I could see the V-rod motor in a touring bike. I dont think they would use an existing name though. Geez who knows they may even add some updating to the styling. I dont think it would be Victory Vison type updating but maybe drop the square ole bags they have had for forty years or so. Widen them up or something. I am kind of lost on HD. To me the Heritage looks exactly like the Road King depending on which bags. Street glide looks like an electra sans trunk. Is the Road glide the one with frame mounted faring and 2 headlights? Kawasaki discontinued the voyager for a few years and came back with a new touring bike with the same name. I have read a few posts of guys that think the old 6cyl Voyager was a much better bike. lol Maybe there is a shortage in the name the new bike dept in Japan.

This is the rumor I have been hearing and it would be interesting. If they want to keep it a long distance tourer they will have to solve the small gas tank issue that they have with the V-Rod. It will take more than just dropping the V-Rod engine in the touring frame. I would be interested, although I am happy with my Ultra Limited.

I think the Vrod motor if they could get their faithful behind it gives them alot more room for hp upgrades. The Road Glide has a distinct style and has a following. If yamaha doesn't do something soon I'd definitely consider a liquid cooled HD or The Victory Cross Country Tour. I like the Honda goldwing but I'm a little tall for the foot position. It has plenty of power and outstanding handling but just couldn't ride it all day. I do love my Venture but by God we are ready for an updated version

I could see the V-rod motor in a touring bike. I dont think they would use an existing name though. Geez who knows they may even add some updating to the styling. I dont think it would be Victory Vison type updating but maybe drop the square ole bags they have had for forty years or so. Widen them up or something. I am kind of lost on HD. To me the Heritage looks exactly like the Road King depending on which bags. Street glide looks like an electra sans trunk. Is the Road glide the one with frame mounted faring and 2 headlights? Kawasaki discontinued the voyager for a few years and came back with a new touring bike with the same name. I have read a few posts of guys that think the old 6cyl Voyager was a much better bike. lol Maybe there is a shortage in the name the new bike dept in Japan.

Yes, the Road Glide is the fixed fairing with 2 headlights. Kaw's new Voyager Vaquero? is meant to take on that same niche. Fixed fairing. I was at Sturgis last summer, and 2 of the guys camping with us did test rides of the Road Glide Ultra. They ride Ultra Classics. They both swore at me with a grin and said I had been holding out on them. They loved the feeling of that fixed fairing. Definately their next bikes will be Road Glides. But then again you 1st genners know that feeling already.

As far as the Venture goes my wet dream is a New Vmax engine Detuned to around 140hp fi fixed fairing, heated grips and seat, and a 6th gear

I guess my dream Venture would be the new vmax engine with a flashed ecu to around 190hp with better lighting,braking and suspension. I can live with the rest. :stirthepot:

Yes, the Road Glide is the fixed fairing with 2 headlights. Kaw's new Voyager Vaquero? is meant to take on that same niche. Fixed fairing. I was at Sturgis last summer, and 2 of the guys camping with us did test rides of the Road Glide Ultra. They ride Ultra Classics. They both swore at me with a grin and said I had been holding out on them. They loved the feeling of that fixed fairing. Definately their next bikes will be Road Glides. But then again you 1st genners know that feeling already.

It does take time to get to know all the HD models. I will say it again . I think this RGU is the best bike Ive been on , and if you dont like the way it runs you open an HD catalog and let your fingers do the walking or with a 100 other company's that build parts for them . Don't think for a minute that HD doesn't know that we are going to spend money on upgrades. To bad you can't buy a kit to make a Venture 150 hp but you can for a HD.

It does take time to get to know all the HD models. I will say it again . I think this RGU is the best bike Ive been on , and if you dont like the way it runs you open an HD catalog and let your fingers do the walking or with a 100 other company's that build parts for them . Don't think for a minute that HD doesn't know that we are going to spend money on upgrades. To bad you can't buy a kit to make a Venture 150 hp but you can for a HD.

I will agree that you can buy a kit for anything for a HD and get a shirt to boot. They have all the clothing and jewelry also. I have had a few Harley's the last being a 2002 ultra and all with terrible reliability issues I guess it's the way I ride.

I'm not trying to start a which is better bike dilemma but wish Harley would build a water cooled non vibrating tourer that I didn't have to rebuild every 30,000 or so that I could ride. Wait that goes against everything Harley. :stirthepot: :bighug:

The fixed fairing is what convinced me to get my original 1984 1st gen about 15 years ago.

And not having that fixed fairing is a concern on the RSV/Hybrid project I am doing. I may end up putting a smaller 'Batwing' fairing on it to provide a termination point for wiring, headlight cover and some wind break.

Gary

Funny thing. The Vulcan 900 was the first bike I ever owned that had a bat wing handlebar mounted fairing. Before that they were all frame mounted. I had a KZ650 witha windjammer and after that a GS1000 witha Pacifica. Absoulutly nobody that I can find makes fairings like these anymore. Ofcourse back then we had to pretty much "build" our own touring bikes.

OK so being board I'm surfing the web. I go over the Victory site (I guy can dream right) So they unveiled a 15th aniv edition Cross Country tour.

http://cdn.polarisindustries.com/polaris/vic/2013/images/receptors/15th-anniversary/large/15th_crs_cty_tour_p11.jpg

Looks kind of simular to the one sitting in my garage. LOL

To answer the earlier question about Yamaha Philosophy in the 80s. It was very similar to what they have now,no real clue how to market the bike and few upgrades over the years (83-93).There was an atempt to keep up with the Goldwing for the 86 model year when they fixed the trans problem and redesigned the luggage,but nothing after that. Then in 93 with touring riders flocking to the then new(in 88) 1500 Goldwing Yamaha choose to kill it off rather then butt heads with Honda.If they had wanted to they could have bumped the engine to 1600 with a simple bore change or 1800 or more with a stroke increase as well.So much else could have been done to the bike that forced Honda into 2 redesigns who knows where we would have been today.I think Yamaha is still smarting from the public humiliation they were forced to go thru when they lost they Honda/Yamaha sales war and are afraid to challenge the Goldwing.

Guest tx2sturgis
I have had a few Harley's the last being a 2002 ultra and all with terrible reliability issues I guess it's the way I ride.

I'm not trying to start a which is better bike dilemma but wish Harley would build a water cooled non vibrating tourer that I didn't have to rebuild every 30,000 or so that I could ride.

That was similar to my experience. The Sporters and the Dynas seemed to be mostly reliable, but the FL with the Twin Cam was very high maintenance.

And yes, a lot of it is the way you ride one. Either hot-dogging them all the time, especially when cold, or like me, riding them a LOT. Using one as if was your only vehicle, as a daily driver, the HD's are not happy.

My 2007 Venture has been very reliable with very few $$$ spent other than maintenance and tires.

I also now own a new Ural Patrol, and over the last 5 years, Ural has made a number of incremental improvements to the bikes. And that little company based now in Redmond Washington is able to make engineering and reliablility improvements with its tiny R&D budget...makes you wonder about Yamaha. In fact, the rumour is that the Urals will have fuel injection next year. Hmmmm.

Dont worry tho...they have NO plans for a cassette player!

:whistling:

Guest scarylarry

Had one talked to me about yammy couple of weeks, my only response would be the company could burn to he** as far as I was concern..

That has change some with conversations of some good friends, so I'm on the fence with them..

Would I own another I guess I would.

HD's I do like pricey though, I ride with 2 brothers both own HD one stays in the shop all the time and the other never seen a shop for repair..

Same year different models..

Edited by scarylarry

Yamaha builds trumpets and pianos. The symbol on their bikes is three tuning forks for Pete's sake. Their philosophy is build it and as long as it sells keep on building it. Who ever heard of incremental upgrades on a trumpet. Honda on the other hand builds motorcycles and cars. They know the value of staying relevant. Hence their philosophy of continuing improvement to their products.

It will be hard to get Yamaha to change a philosophy that has been successful for them. They will continue to build products that sell. When sales stop they will discontinue them and look around for something to replace it with. That method works pretty well for musical instruments which is their main business.

Mike