IGNORED

What is the best rear shock replacement-Jan 2013?

OK, i've read every post on the site regarding rear shocks, and they vary from 2005 to the present. Right now i'm looking for current info, based on opinion or actual experience--either will do...So of the three readily available aftermarket shocks, (not counting OEM, which is a piece of dog crap, no intent to insult dog crap) which is the best, and why?

My research has revealed the following:

Hagon. $469

YSS. $499

Works. $879

Figure $30 for shipping...OK, except for the obvious (hint, involves greenbacks) what breaks out one shock from the other? Why does the Works cost so damned much? Anyone have anything good or bad to say about any of these? Anyone know of any other shocks on the market?

Thanks for the help, Fred

I can only comment on the Works shock I have on my bike. I went through two OEM shocks in a short time (one under warranty, the second gave up the ghost a few months out of warranty.. go figure).

The Works is easy to install and the set up (sag and rebound) is easy to initially set up, and once you like the ride, its set up.. I ride solo but I can imagine it might be cumbersome to adjust the shock if you have to reset it for two up, then solo again, or find a happy medium. There is no quick and easy adjuster on it. The shock has taken some heavy hits in the past and hasn't let me down. Quite happy with the ride it gives.

I might have gone with one of the less expensive ones had I known about them at the time but no regrets on the Works shock..

Any shock that is rebuildable will be better than a throw away oem shock that has a bad habit of failing..

For the record, I thought I'd include this missive in the string here for background and info for interested parties. I sent Dee dee@epmperf.com at YSS the following questions questions and he provided the attached answers:

To: Dee-

Still looking at options, but rapidly reaching a decision.

Can you provide answers to the following?

-Is the shock rebuildable?Yes

-Can you advise the warranty period?2 years

-How long to get the shock once ordered?2 - 3 weeks

-What is the procedure if a warranty claim is made?

You have to get the shock back to us at your cost, we do the repair and return at our cost.

-What kind of configuration do you recommend for the following:

The same shock that was quoted.

The spring will be selected to your weight when the shock is built.

I weigh 245lb/ride solo

In my gear, probably 260lb

About twice a year I go touring, add another 30 LB to that

So I'd need a shock which could support 260lb on a normal basis

With a requirement to take as much as 300+ for 2-3 weeks a year.

-Can you verify the price? Klaus passed Model MZ 506-255 TR at $ 499.00

+ shipping extra.Yes, that is it. Total $ 529.00

I could easily buy a set of shocks for my car for that price. It is just hard to imagine that a motorcycle shock would cost so much more than a car shock absorber. :confused07:

Don't forget that there will be hundreds, if not thousands, of shocks sold for the cars. The numbers for bikes is considerably lower so the profit can't be made up by volume. Things are cheaper when they can sell a lot more of them. This has always been a problem in motorcycling. As well, many auto shocks can be used for a variety of makes and models but many bikes have very specific requirements which drives the volume per shock even lower. We need to get more people on bikes!

Andy

Works shock here also, no problems yet had it 5 years (bike is a 2003). I went through 3 factory shocks all under warranty when the last one went the bike was out of warranty. I decided to go with something else. No particular reason for picking Works, was what I found and they answered the questions I asked, I paid $685 then. I ride 2 up 95% of the time it did take some tuning to get it where I liked it. You do have to take it off every time to adjust the preload on the spring but that's not that hard IMO.

I have the Hagon shock and it is def better than stock. I have put over 10k miles with no problems and that is pulling trailers and riding two up. I have it set like it came but might step it up one notch.

It is the heavy spring 300kg I believe. I had got it pretty quick from Cali as well. They were a pleasure to work with.

There have been a few over on the Delphi forum that have replaced the oil in there shock before they failed and I don't think any of them has had a failure after doing this on a regular basis.I personally have not tried this but I think I will.You take the shock out and turn it upside down and let it drain out of the air hose into a catch container(remove the schraeder valve)preferably overnight.It takes approximately 44 cc(ml) to refill.They also say to use a teaspoon of 10w30 high mileage synthetic motor oil mixed with 15 or 20w suspension oil for the lubrication properties. The original is only about 5w,very thin.One member has over 150,000 miles on his original shock with out a failure.Maybe he's just lucky,or maybe he's on to something.I figure it is a lot cheaper to try this than have to buy a new shock. I hope it works as well for me as it has him.

Edited by Hotrod

Guest tx2sturgis
I could easily buy a set of shocks for my car for that price. It is just hard to imagine that a motorcycle shock would cost so much more than a car shock absorber. :confused07:

Add in the price of the car's springs if they were attached to the shock and the price might be a bit higher!

• 1 month later...

Spring is approaching... I have the Hagon Shock. I like it. Its well made. There is a thread somewhere where I posted some pictures of it. When I bought mine with the heavy spring it was 469 Shipped from Hagon LLC in California. Not sure if they are still including the shipping. So far I use the setting out of the box for both solo and two up. That said, when I had the OEM air shock I didn't change the air pressure either. Always kept it at 45psi.

When i was installing it, Looks like it would be easy enough to adjust the preload by simply removing the saddle bag. The preload adjuster uses a set screw so you don't have to fool with trying to tighten a locking ring. Loosen set screw, adjust preload, tighten set screw. Damping adjustment is on the bottom of the shock, so nothing to remove for that.

With respect to the Goldwing shock, there is another thread on that as well somewhere. My research indicates that the difference in length between the gold wing shock and the venture shock, mount eye to mount eye is approximately 3 inches ( i.e the wing shock is 3 inches longer). It would take more engineering than its worth IMO to work out the three extra inches in length.

RSTDdog

There have been a few over on the Delphi forum that have replaced the oil in there shock before they failed and I don't think any of them has had a failure after doing this on a regular basis.I personally have not tried this but I think I will.You take the shock out and turn it upside down and let it drain out of the air hose into a catch container(remove the schraeder valve)preferably overnight.It takes approximately 44 cc(ml) to refill.They also say to use a teaspoon of 10w30 high mileage synthetic motor oil mixed with 15 or 20w suspension oil for the lubrication properties. The original is only about 5w,very thin.One member has over 150,000 miles on his original shock with out a failure.Maybe he's just lucky,or maybe he's on to something.I figure it is a lot cheaper to try this than have to buy a new shock. I hope it works as well for me as it has him.

I have over 150k miles on my original rear shock.

:farmer:

Just got the Hagon shock shipped to BC, Canada from Dave Quinn Motorcycles - Great Service, quick to answer emails. Nothing wrong that I know of with my stock shock if anyone wants it, just did not like the ride. It is, (and actually is) like sitting on a bouncy ball. The more air you put in the worse it gets.

Went for my first ride this weekend with the Hagon shock and what a difference. I ride 50/50 between solo and 2up. My wife and I "tax" the bikes weight limits :) and Hagon setup the shock accordingly. I experienced no more "wallowing" in the corners. Small bumps were gone. I am also riding on fresh set of Avon tires with the 1" narrower front tire. I have never enjoy my bike as much before.

Keep in mind by Yamaha's design, the shock only has a 1 1/2" of total travel. 1/2" of that is used by just sitting on the bike, so no shock is going to take away the big bumps.

Hagon is the only shock I tried and I would buy it again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back...the three weeks promised for delivery turned into about eight, something to take into account if you're in a hurry to get/install. To their credit, the manufacturer did not charge me 30 bucks for delivery.

I was prepared to be thoroughly pissed off about the delay but the shock is beautiful to see, a serious piece of equipment. If i can figure out how I'll post pictures...

I installed it today and could not find torque requirement for the rear shocks. I'm certain that they're in here somewhere, but i could not find 'em, anywhere. After a long search, i discovered an online copy of the service manual, and the settings are:

Upper bolt: 43 ft/lb

Lower bolt: 36 ft/lb

You heard it here first!

More later....still a couple of weeks away from finishing the winter maintenance period and won't be able to report on how the bike handles until then. I don't fthink it could be any worse than it was prior to replacement, and will advise

I'm back...the three weeks promised for delivery turned into about eight, something to take into account if you're in a hurry to get/install. To their credit, the manufacturer did not charge me 30 bucks for delivery.

I was prepared to be thoroughly pissed off about the delay but the shock is beautiful to see, a serious piece of equipment. If i can figure out how I'll post pictures...

I installed it today and could not find torque requirement for the rear shocks. I'm certain that they're in here somewhere, but i could not find 'em, anywhere. After a long search, i discovered an online copy of the service manual, and the settings are:

Upper bolt: 43 ft/lb

Lower bolt: 36 ft/lb

You heard it here first!

More later....still a couple of weeks away from finishing the winter maintenance period and won't be able to report on how the bike handles until then. I don't fthink it could be any worse than it was prior to replacement, and will advise

Just got the Hagon shock shipped to BC, Canada from Dave Quinn Motorcycles - Great Service, quick to answer emails. Nothing wrong that I know of with my stock shock if anyone wants it, just did not like the ride. It is, (and actually is) like sitting on a bouncy ball. The more air you put in the worse it gets.

Went for my first ride this weekend with the Hagon shock and what a difference. I ride 50/50 between solo and 2up. My wife and I "tax" the bikes weight limits :) and Hagon setup the shock accordingly. I experienced no more "wallowing" in the corners. Small bumps were gone. I am also riding on fresh set of Avon tires with the 1" narrower front tire. I have never enjoy my bike as much before.

Keep in mind by Yamaha's design, the shock only has a 1 1/2" of total travel. 1/2" of that is used by just sitting on the bike, so no shock is going to take away the big bumps.

Hagon is the only shock I tried and I would buy it again.

I just got my hagon shipped. Any thoughts (or tricks) on install that I should be considering? I did find the write-up regarding the works install. I am not quite sure how to adjust the thing so I guess i will put it on and see how it goes.

Larry

I installed it today and could not find torque requirement for the rear shocks.

Which Shock did you Buy and from which source?

I ordered my Hagon from Hagon LLC in California on a Monday and it arrived in Fort Myers, Florida on that Friday.

I just got my hagon shipped. Any thoughts (or tricks) on install that I should be considering? I did find the write-up regarding the works install. I am not quite sure how to adjust the thing so I guess i will put it on and see how it goes.

Larry

Install is pretty straight forward. I think Rick Bulter posted a thread on setting preload to account for sag (bike only) and loaded. I haven't bother to check it. I can tell you it doesn't sag much at all( Ihave the Uprated spring).

When you install it pay attention to the rebound/compression adjuster (allen head screw on the bottom). I installed the shock so the adjuster is pointing to the right (up hill side) of the bike. Easier access

I ordered the Hagon with the Uprated spring. I weigh 195 and the wife is 160. I installed right out of the box. After riding for several hundred miles I added a 1/4 turn (cw) to the damping screw. I have not needed to adjust the spring preload.