IGNORED

What is the world coming to?

ediddy

Please don't turn this into a political debate, not my intention. My wife, son and I have an insurance agency. Agencies and other businesses close to us have been robbed so my son and I conceal carry. When I get to the office I put mine in my desk drawer. I came close to having to use it last week. My wife sits up front with a counter about waist higher in front of her. I am across the hall but I can see her. A customer was waiting to see me. I walk out to the receiption area to tell the customer sitting on the sofa to come in. Another guy is comes in the door and I noticed he had a frown on his face but didn't think anything about it. The guy told my wife he wanted to get a quote. She told him to have a seat and and soon as I was available I would give him a quote. I told the customer waiting to come in my office. After about 15 or 20 minutes I heard the guy waiting yelling and using the f word with my wife. She told him to leave the office and he said he wasn't going anywhere and no one was going to tell him what to do. I can't use the words he was saying. I told my customer to excuse me and I got my gun out of my desk and went to the front. I had the gun in my right hand with my arm down. I told the guy to leave and said he wasn't going anywhere. I told my wife to call 911. The guy said he had a gun bigger than mine and then said I pointed the gun at him and no one was going to point a gun at him and get away with it. I never pointed the gun at him. I told my wife to call 911 again and tell the police to hurray. I started to tell the guy if he came toward the counter I was going to shoot him but I thought it was better to say nothing and not adjitate the guy. The police officer arrived and the guy started yelling at him and told him he wanted me arrested for pointing the gun at him. The officer told him to sit down and shut up or he was going to arrest him. The guy said he wanted to see a lieutenant. Another officer arrived and called for a lieutenant. Another officer arrived in an unmarked car and came in. He approached the guy and said the lieutenant is off but I am the captain and I understand you have something to say to me. The guy said yes I want this man, meaning me, arrested for aggravated assualt for pointing a gun at me. The captain said, let me tell you something, this man has the right to protect his property and wife, you are here acting like a fool with your hands in your pocket so he doestn't know what you might do so he can point the gun at you if he wants. The captain asked if I wanted to let this guy come on the property again and I said no sir. He said then tell him. I told the gun to leave immediately and to never come in my office again. The captain then told him if he ever came on the premises again he would be arrested. The guy left yelling I was predjudiced and he guessed since he didn't have a masters degree he wasn't welcome. That makes sense. If the guy had tried to come over the counter I would have shot him. I often wondered what I would do if I had to pull a gun on someone and it is not a pleasant experience. I realized I wouldn't shoot someone unless my life was threatened and hope I never have this happen again. It's a shame the world has come to this, but there are dangerous people out there.

That was a very scary situation. I generally don't recommend pulling your gun until you are ready to use it. As that can sometimes escalate the encounter. In your case I am glad everything worked out ok. Hopefully the guy never comes back.

Mike

Looks like you handled the situation perfectly.

You had your firearm in case the situation required it, you remained calm and didn't inflame the situation and you allowed the proper authorities to remove the threat.

I'd say you earned yourself a twinkie, but they aren't available, so it will have to be an attaboy!

Dave

Be prepared for this fool to come back, he may be blowing smoke but you never know with all the lunatic's running around now days. If your wife is up to it I'd have her keep a firearm handy while at work for a week or so.

Glad you were able to control the situation. Only once did I think I may need to use deadly force, I was prepared but the guy thought better and moved on.

I had a situation earlier this year ( thread was deleted due to uncalled for comments) where a neighbor pulled a gun on my wife and I while helping another neighbor move out of their house one night.

I had just got home and left my .45 on my front seat instead of my U/C holster. He was an idiot and even though I could have pressed charges for 2 counts of Agg assault, threats and intimidation and possibly 2cts of kidnapping ( preventing freedom of movement by force) I chose not to. The idiot still hasn't apologized to this day. I'm just glad our incident and yours turned out OK. :happy65:

You handled that correctly. Better to be tried by six than carried by 12.

The crazy people are everywhere these days.

Not meaning to be picky, but the correct quote is "Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six." A situation like that can be very tricky. I wonder if having the gun out of sight might have been a better move? Less chance of aggravating him more but then less of a deterrent. Tough call, but I am happy it worked out for you. Nice that the police handled it as they did, too.

Andy

Glad the situation when without any other incidents. However I would not have show my hand unless the situation esculated due to the fact that it sometimes provokes. But I am not going to judge, as I was not in your shoes.

In the last 13 months, I have attended 11 training classes from room clearings to low-light vehicle gunfighting course, Tactical handgun/carbine, training along side of many LEO, ATF, MIL, K9, CIA, Seals, SF, PS and responsable citizens. In these course, one learns when to draw, when not to draw, positioning themselves to have the upper advantages. Becoming Thinkers before shooters, knowing when to retreat or how to defuse a situation. Even a simple flashlight at night can detour what possible could have turned into a gunfight. Learning weapons manipulation, malfunctions, reloading, search and assessing, to force on force scenerials.

I guess what I am saying, if anyone whom owns a weapon, needs to train, train, train! Learn what your state laws are and be accountable for every round that is discharged. Just because one owns a gun does not make them a Superman. There are many instructors out there who do not cost an arm and a leg. Yes, it can get very expensive. $650-750 per 3 day class, ammo, meal/lodging and tranportation. There are some classes for $100 for a day.

This announcement was given by someone who cares!

BEER30

Here in the state of Florida, which is nicknamed the gunshine state, it is an actual felony if one actually pulls a gun and doesn't fire. Granted each case is different and for the majority of CCW owners, this rule is wacky. And most LEO do not know the rules themselves since is all screwed up to been with.

Glad the situation when without any other incidents. However I would not have show my hand unless the situation esculated due to the fact that it sometimes provokes. But I am not going to judge, as I was not in your shoes.

In the last 13 months, I have attended 11 training classes from room clearings to low-light vehicle gunfighting course, Tactical handgun/carbine, training along side of many LEO, ATF, MIL, K9, CIA, Seals, SF, PS and responsable citizens. In these course, one learns when to draw, when not to draw, positioning themselves to have the upper advantages. Becoming Thinkers before shooters, knowing when to retreat or how to defuse a situation. Even a simple flashlight at night can detour what possible could have turned into a gunfight. Learning weapons manipulation, malfunctions, reloading, search and assessing, to force on force scenerials.

I guess what I am saying, if anyone whom owns a weapon, needs to train, train, train! Learn what your state laws are and be accountable for every round that is discharged. Just because one owns a gun does not make them a Superman. There are many instructors out there who do not cost an arm and a leg. Yes, it can get very expensive. $650-750 per 3 day class, ammo, meal/lodging and tranportation. There are some classes for $100 for a day.

This announcement was given by someone who cares!

BEER30

+1

What that bothers me, is he was put on Hi alert when the guy came in with the attitiude.

He acted correctly in confronting the guy and asking him to leave.

I wouldn't have shown him the weapon, but, the safe would have been off, the weapon concealed, with my hand on it, and would have been ready to fire. That way it doesn't ratchet up a situation.

Suggestion:

A coat with a side pocket..That's what I use...

Guest scarylarry
Are these classes to obtain CCP? Ones I spoke of are advanced classes.

BEER30

Yes they are and they are a one day class..

You must know how to handle a weapon before you take it, from my understanding..

This is not a greenhorn class, so if you never fire a weapon don't take it..

The lodging, meal class that you spoke of I never heard of here, not saying they don't have them but never heard of one...

Then you pass, then you start the start with the state getting it obtain..

Yes they are and they are a one day class..

You must know how to handle a weapon before you take it, from my understanding..

This is not a greenhorn class, so if you never fire a weapon don't take it..

The lodging, meal class that you spoke of I never heard of here, not saying they don't have them but never heard of one...

Then you pass, then you start the start with the state getting it obtain..

You would be suprised on how many people I know that just get their CCP just to be able to purchase handguns. There are many who can shoot very well, however do not have to common sense to handle them in a heated situation. There are many whom can hit the bullseye on paper, but when does paper shoot back. Without going through any type of advanced firearms training or real life experience, these people can do more harm than good.

The classes I speak of are from people like Travis Haley www.haleystrategic.com/ , Chris Costa www.costaludus.com/ , Rob Pincus, Talon Defense, Mike Lamb, Ron Avery, and many more. These classes teach the student more advanced shooting techniques. They range from 1-3 day courses. Most are rain or shine. Last class I attended was low light gunfighter and it was raining cats and dogs, shooting through glass while inside vehicles at bad man targets. Not just myself in the car, but along side of another shooter. Learning also how to shoot under cars, over hoods, ultilizing on how to use proper lighting and even if one of my arms was shot. Just because you got shot does not mean your out of the fight! Some of these classes, your in complete battle rattle. Many your grey-man (concealed)

How many of you CCW's carry an extra magazine?

"Oh, You have 15-17 round mag, If you cannot hit them in that many shots, you might have might as well give up", someone tells you.

So, imagine you fire 2-3 rounds. Your pistol has a malfunction, stove pipe, double feed, failure to feed, failure to eject? You drop that one and only mag, what next? You have to clear that weapons, you drop that mag in the dark, what next? You go to that extra mag that no says you need!

Flashlights, and a darn good one. Your confronted at night, you may need to blind them to detour or dissorintate (sp?), limit the amount of light and only use when needed, not remain on and become a target.

Shooting positions, supine, urban prone, modified urban prone Isosolese, weaver, prone, kneeling, supported kneeling, shoot while moving, move to shoot, reload while moving, clearing malfunctions while moving, search and assess, breaking tunnel vision, identifying a threat, shooting left or right hand and many more positions. You do not learn this information at a CCW class.

Some say that one whom takes these classes are extremist. Not! Taking these classes gives you extra tools to put in your tool box so if the time comes that you need to protect yourself, your loved ones and the innocent bystander.

Examples I listed above are just a few subjects one can learn. I strongely urge anyone whom carries or even just for home defense to take one of these course.

BEER30

Guest scarylarry

Just like a MC class, just cause you have taken the class doesn't make you a pro..

Your classes are far more advance and one would stand a lot more to learn then popping a few rounds off and reading a book..

I see a lot of good points in your typing and yes it would be a must for most, even I have forgotten what you spoke of till now and no I never thought of extra clips though I do have them..

A few more bucks and a person walks away more knowledge and better ways to protect himself and or the family..

Shooting a person and having CCW does not always get you out of the legal issues..

Bottom line it must be justified and some seems to forget that..

Great write up and very clear as well....Thanks

:sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that:huh, imagine that...justification for the use of deadly physical force......do you know your state laws....??????????

On the subject of extra mags, has anyone checked with their local gun store lately? I stopped by where I bought my Springfield just to look around Friday afternoon. My XD holds 12, which makes it a hi-cap. I got 2 mags with it, but had been thinking about getting a couple more. When I got back to where they are on the wall there was a SEA of people buying them like CRAZY, so I picked up the last 2 he had for mine. He said he'd sold all the SKS, AK, and Glock mags he had in stock and that they would'nt be getting any more hi-caps in for a long time. He also said that the big ammo players, Rem., Win., Federal were calling back their inventories and buying up warehoused ammo to reclaim to produce .223 ammo. They also were told that all brass ammo will be in extremely short supply, but most of the popular stuff will be available in aluminum cases. I picked up a couple boxes of .40 brass Blazers and a box of .38's in aluminum since that was all he had. I overheard him telling a guy that the aluminum doesn't work real well in semi-autos, especially the "lower-ends". Guess I'll have to do a better job of policing my brass and start having them re-loaded.

Guest scarylarry

:sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that:huh, imagine that...justification for the use of deadly physical force......do you know your state laws....??????????

To the letter NO, but I know the 5 magic words though...

I feared for my life....Use them when I shot my neighbors dog...

Guest scarylarry
On the subject of extra mags, has anyone checked with their local gun store lately? I stopped by where I bought my Springfield just to look around Friday afternoon. My XD holds 12, which makes it a hi-cap. I got 2 mags with it, but had been thinking about getting a couple more. When I got back to where they are on the wall there was a SEA of people buying them like CRAZY, so I picked up the last 2 he had for mine. He said he'd sold all the SKS, AK, and Glock mags he had in stock and that they would'nt be getting any more hi-caps in for a long time. He also said that the big ammo players, Rem., Win., Federal were calling back their inventories and buying up warehoused ammo to reclaim to produce .223 ammo. They also were told that all brass ammo will be in extremely short supply, but most of the popular stuff will be available in aluminum cases. I picked up a couple boxes of .40 brass Blazers and a box of .38's in aluminum since that was all he had. I overheard him telling a guy that the aluminum doesn't work real well in semi-autos, especially the "lower-ends". Guess I'll have to do a better job of policing my brass and start having them re-loaded.

I wanted to buy a extra clip for my AR none to be found...

223 and 308 are gone and I'm finding 22LR are coming up short..

Lot of shotgun shells though..So I will wait to the madness is over...