IGNORED

GMC Envoy

Sideoftheroad

I ended up not buying that Explorer. Wife and I went through some dealer lots and found a great looking '06 GMC Envoy Denali with a ton of features and I might start having buyers regret.

After having it less than a week (we bought it on 12/01) the power windows started to not work of which i made a video of it with my phone and sent it to the sales guy. Wife took it to the dealer on Monday, they looked at it and said they couldn't duplicate the issue. They said they looked under the dash and checked out the driver door side power window console and said it must be a loose wire.

After we bought it found out consumer reports hates this vehicle for having all sorts of mechanical and electrical issues.

Before the F&I guy turned in the paperwork we bought the extended warranty. It is a step below the bumper to bumper warranty of which we were told we didn't qualify for due to the vehicle mileage (almost 84k). Only thing as part of this warranty is you have a $100 deductible for every visit providing it is for different things. In other words provided it is on the list of things that is covered like a/c compressor, if it goes out we pay $100 they fix it. If it goes out again later we don't have to pay another $100, but say 2nd visit is for transmission then we have to pay $100 again.

When we bought it, the sales guy said it comes with a 500 mile or 30 day warranty which ever comes 1st which we are under still. I emailed the sales guy and made it very clear we aren't paying a dime for repairs on a vehicle we have had for less than a week. Which is exactly what happened.

Wife tells me just a few minutes ago the f-tard mechanic wanted to wait after the 30 day/500 miles was up so we would have had to pay the $100. No wonder why he wanted to come up with the quick solution of a loose wire.

I just emailed the sales guy again letting him know I am still having issues with the power windows. Basically they just stop working. Doesn't matter if I try and use the driver or passenger side buttons. I haven't tried the rear passenger windows. Only way I have figured out to get them to work again is to shut the vehicle off, let the interior lights dim all the way out and restart the car, but eventually they stop working again.

The driver side panel has the power windows, heated seats and power locks, so I can add that when I have this issue 2 out of the 3 functions don't work.

We have bought alot of GM vehicles over the years and this is the 1st one I am getting a not so good feeling on

Thoughts?

Anyone care to share their experience with any of your GMC vehicles or Envoy?

I'll share what I've learned about my '04 Colorado:

Almost everything in the vehicle is controlled by the Body Control Module (BCM). When I turn the instrument dimmer switch it doesn't dim the lights directly but instead is read by the BCM which should dim the lights. In my case the BCM only dims the radio. If I disconnect the battery for a half hour the BCM straightens out and the lights work ok for awhile.

In my research I found similar things with power windows, door locks etc.

There were some service bulletins on the Colorado related to problems with the BCM caused by corrosion on its electrical connectors. Wouldn't be surprised if the same stuff is going on with the Envoy.

Did you get it from a GM dealer? They should be familiar with any common gremlins.

The Envoy is a nice ride, I looked at one before I bought my Equinox. It could very well be a faulty ground to the window switch, I had a '96 Blazer that had the same problem and that's what was finally found with it. My mechanic told me that the ground for the drivers side "main" switch also grounds the other switches, which makes sense. Just don't let the dealer stall you out of your 30 days, rattle everybody's cage at that dealership if you have to!! Good luck.

You have had the vehicle for a week and you have jitters? Can you still give it back? I would. These things aren't cheap and it sounds like the service is marginal at best. Add to it that this is in the honeymoon phase! Wait and see about your reception at the dealer when you become a regular customer. I don't put much stock in overall reputation of any vehicle, when you get them used some just arent right and can't be made right. If you can, walk and then run away!

-JK

Our 03 Envoy.....loaded nice ride but.....

3 alternators

catalatyc converter

various modules that control rear wiper, heated seats, this that and another thing!

Brakes (normal I guess)

air conditioner lines...both front and rear.

Air conditioner compressor

power steering pump twice

check engine light mostly always on..started when we got command start installed.

Would I buy another....no frigging way!

But it sure is a nice ride!

Oh,,,, gas mileage sucks!

Did you try contacting the previous owner to see why they got rid of it?

I never buy a used vehicle without talking to the PO. If the dealer will not get me in contact, I walk out the door or take another 10-15% off of my last offer to cover the cost of whatever they are trying to hide.

Does your state have anything protecting you, such as a lemon law? I do agree with wrench and blue venture87, do not wait another minute for them to stall and postpone. Be the squeaky wheel. Can you get your money back? How bout a trade. Are you able to take it to an independent shop for a complete look over? Over the years I have had many struggles with dealers and sales folks. Wife and I were burned when she went without me a few years back? First and last time for that. It's tough to stay calm. I would still be a pest. It's not like you haven't PAID for quality care and service. Listen to your gut.

Good luck.

Edited by Barrycuda
Added another penny to my 2 cents

My brother has an older Envoy, ton of miles on it now. They passed it down to their oldest daughter, and now its being driven by their younger son. Easily has over 180,000 miles. I dont think they have had many problems with it.

Micarl,

I bought it at a Cadillac dealer

BlueVenture

It's too late to give back at this point.

Jeff,

Heck never thought about asking for the previous owners contact info. Never done that before. When I was researching the Explorer the sales guy did tell me why the previous owner traded it.

Edited by Sideoftheroad

So the saga continues. I got a call back today from the sales guy. Apparently he got a butt chewing for telling us it has a 500 mile/30 day bumper to bumper warranty. He was told this by a co worker who is no longer there. Apparently it is just a power train warranty. Not my problem. You have to stick to what you say or that will land you in a whole lot of legal problems.

He kept saying he wants to help us out, do whatever it takes, etc...do I believe him nope. He made a statement they aren't going to tear it all apart to figure out what the issue is. Well you told me it is bumper to bumper so it means exactly that if you need to tear it all apart to figure out the issue then that is exactly what you are going to do and I don't pay anything for it. He just left it at he will talk to the service guy tomorrow and look at the wiring diagrams to see what are the common point that connect all these wires together and look for things like a common ground and such.

It did happen again tonight on the way home from work. When I parked in the driveway, I tested all the functions like I do every time I catch this in that on the drivers side panel push/pull the window buttons, power locks and heated seats. I also test the front passenger side button. No changes in the drivers side in that none of the functions work except for the power locks. This time the passenger side window worked so I got out and tested both rear passenger buttons and they worked too. I am hoping that I will be able to repeat this again so maybe I can narrow it down to just the front driver's side functions.

In Utah if any part of the sales contract is dishonored it voids the entire contract and they have to refund you your money,no matter how long ago the sale.You should check with the consumer protection division of your state to see what protection you have.Do not sit around 30 days goes fast and service wheels and buracrates grind slowly.

You need to somehow document their unwillingness and flat out refusal to honor the warranty that they gave you.You can get those camera pens all over on line, just have it in you pocket and turned on the next time you talk to them. Being a caddy dealer, get the local news media involved, the last thing that they will want is it going out on the 6:00 news that the refuse to honor warranty work.

You tried to be nice and they told you where to stick it, you do not have much time left on your warranty to get this handled.

Do you really believe the used car salesman as to why the PO traded the car in? I always ask the PO myself. The PO will never tell the dealer about any issues the trade in has, that would lower its value.

Not to dampen your outlook, but I will never buy another GM product again. The wife has an '04 Buick Rainier, same drivetrain and everything as the Trailblazers and Envoys. Right out of the gate we had electrical problems with it.

Right now the front seats which are the 2 position switched kind, works when it wants to. The All Wheel drive is jacked up and I removed the front driveshaft just so it could be driven. All sorts of bells and whistles, which I believe makes up most the electrical gremlins. The only good thing I have to say about the thing is the inline 6 engine. Lots of power and torque, pulls great, but 18 mpg at best period.

If there is anyway you can get out of this Envoy....do it....:2cents:

04 Trailblazer with less than 70,000 miles. AS Sarge say nice ride fuel sucks, and Brad that 18 is not pulling your trailer, drop like a rock. So does driving it above 70 mph, but it rides nice and smooth.

Have fun as the problems are not hard to fix most of the time but annoying. Electrical is not GM's best qualities. BCM is definetly an issue on a lot of GM's. 03 Impala will work fine shut it of and it does not turn on for 30 minutes or so. Sort of needs to reset itself. Good thing it does not happen often.

Brad

I have had my fair share of used vehicles. I would NEVER buy a GM product new or used ever again. Those are the biggest POS of the domestic three. One of the main problems I think is plaguing the used car market today is the fact that ALOT of poeple lease. Who really takes care of a lease vehicle? They drive them, abuse them, then turn them in and get another. Then that one goes on the used car lot. This more than likeley was a lease at one time and was put on the lot, sold and turned in again as a trade on a new one. But whatever the case maybe, no GM products for me.

I have had my fair share of used vehicles. I would NEVER buy a GM product new or used ever again. Those are the biggest POS of the domestic three. One of the main problems I think is plaguing the used car market today is the fact that ALOT of poeple lease. Who really takes care of a lease vehicle? They drive them, abuse them, then turn them in and get another. Then that one goes on the used car lot. This more than likeley was a lease at one time and was put on the lot, sold and turned in again as a trade on a new one. But whatever the case maybe, no GM products for me.

I almost, agree. I swore after my 97 Yukon I'd never buy another GM product.

This past spring looking for a smaller pickup truck (going to keep the Yukon for the occasional big pull). I saw my choices as follows:

1) Dakota. Rusts out in a week and uses more fuel than the Yukon.

2) Ranger. Fuel mileage about the same as the Yukon. Have had outstanding satisfaction with every Ford product I've ever owned. At about 6 years many of them are showing significant rust.

3) Colorado. Better fuel mileage than the others, never seen rust on any of them. Dreaded GM product.

I keep vehicles a long time (Yukon is 15 years old) and rust is a big deal to me. Pretty much everything else can be repaired but rust will always get you. So I swallowed hard and picked up a very nice '04 Colorado. Starting to realize the reason Colorados aren't rusty is because they spend most of their lives in a nice dry service department.:sick:

By the time I got past 120K miles on the Yukon I had most of the kinks worked out of it. Hopefully it'll be the same with the Colorado.

I almost, agree. I swore after my 97 Yukon I'd never buy another GM product.

This past spring looking for a smaller pickup truck (going to keep the Yukon for the occasional big pull). I saw my choices as follows:

1) Dakota. Rusts out in a week and uses more fuel than the Yukon.

2) Ranger. Fuel mileage about the same as the Yukon. Have had outstanding satisfaction with every Ford product I've ever owned. At about 6 years many of them are showing significant rust.

3) Colorado. Better fuel mileage than the others, never seen rust on any of them. Dreaded GM product.

I keep vehicles a long time (Yukon is 15 years old) and rust is a big deal to me. Pretty much everything else can be repaired but rust will always get you. So I swallowed hard and picked up a very nice '04 Colorado. Starting to realize the reason Colorados aren't rusty is because they spend most of their lives in a nice dry service department.:sick:

By the time I got past 120K miles on the Yukon I had most of the kinks worked out of it. Hopefully it'll be the same with the Colorado.

You said that once you got past 120k miles you had most of the kinks worked out?

I my humble opinion, when you purchase a new vehicle, the ONLY thing you should have to do is replace the tires and maybe one set of brakes. For the price of cars/trucks, there had better be quality. We are getting ready to turn 100k miles on our 4Runner. The only thing I have needed to do is replace the tires. That's it. I am getting ready to do a brake job soon. The Nissan was the same way, no issues the first 100k miles. The two major repairs I did on that at 125k and 157k were the result of my own stupidity. The Nissan now has 223,000 mile on it. When you buy a car or a truck, you should be able to rely on it. No issues while making payments. Atleast in my eyes is how I see it. So if Ford, GM and Chrysler cannot live up to it, and they never have on any of the new ones I purchased, I moved onto the foreign market and have been VERY satisfied to the point that I will not even consider anything else.

The onboard air compressor works great...........such a plus:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Not to dampen your outlook, but I will never buy another GM product again. The wife has an '04 Buick Rainier, same drivetrain and everything as the Trailblazers and Envoys. Right out of the gate we had electrical problems with it.

Right now the front seats which are the 2 position switched kind, works when it wants to. The All Wheel drive is jacked up and I removed the front driveshaft just so it could be driven. All sorts of bells and whistles, which I believe makes up most the electrical gremlins. The only good thing I have to say about the thing is the inline 6 engine. Lots of power and torque, pulls great, but 18 mpg at best period.

If there is anyway you can get out of this Envoy....do it....:2cents:

There is a hidden warranty on the fuel pumps. Northern vehicles can have snow and salt sit on top of the tank right at the fuel lines. The lines rust from the salt and start a leak on the lines that are part of the fuel pump.

GM will replace it free, they do not replace the gasket so if your dealer does not give it to you pay the 18 dollars for a new one. I was not offered and they used the old gasket, three months later it leaked when the tank was full. Took the dealer a long time to find the leak. cost me a little but made them eat most of it you should changed the friggin gasket.

Fuel eats asphalt, when it drips, that is why I new it was leaking :think:

Brad

You said that once you got past 120k miles you had most of the kinks worked out?

I my humble opinion, when you purchase a new vehicle, the ONLY thing you should have to do is replace the tires and maybe one set of brakes. For the price of cars/trucks, there had better be quality. We are getting ready to turn 100k miles on our 4Runner. The only thing I have needed to do is replace the tires. That's it. I am getting ready to do a brake job soon. The Nissan was the same way, no issues the first 100k miles. The two major repairs I did on that at 125k and 157k were the result of my own stupidity. The Nissan now has 223,000 mile on it. When you buy a car or a truck, you should be able to rely on it. No issues while making payments. Atleast in my eyes is how I see it. So if Ford, GM and Chrysler cannot live up to it, and they never have on any of the new ones I purchased, I moved onto the foreign market and have been VERY satisfied to the point that I will not even consider anything else.

Yes, last 90K miles have been pretty good. Definitely less $$ in repairs than the first 90K miles. Really a shame Michigan winter is finally starting to have its way with the sheet metal.

I agree with you though. The first 100K should be routine maintenance plus tires, brakes and wiper blades.