IGNORED

New tire question

chocking

Hi,

Time to replace the Dunlop Elite II tires on my 1st Gen 83 VR. before my long summer tour out west....I've looked at some of the previous posts and am wondering between the seeminly ever popular Venoms loved by lots on here, the Elite III's , The Conti-tour and The Michelin Commander..

SW motor Tires and American Motorcycle Tires seem to have the best prices..

Any words of wisdom or warning concerning the above?

Thanks,

Clay

Everyone has a preference as to which they like. You will get a lot of opinions. I like the Commanders and go through SW Moto. I have never had a problem with either. Got 18,000 miles out of the last rear tire. I would advise that if you decide to switch to Commanders to change both at the same time. I have spoke to 2 different MC dealers who say that they should not be run with a different tire on the other wheel. I can't vouch for this either way since both times I switched to Commanders I did front and rear at the same time. I expect to get 2 to 1 on the front tire wear.

Many good tires out there, and you would probably be happy with any one of the most popular tires once you put them on. I went from the Elite II's to the E-3's last year and love them. It's like anything else, whatever you have decided upon will be the best. :whistling: Kind of like paint and favorite colors...(white's the fastest).

I was just looking at a new set of tires for my 84 as well. I was also considering the Avons. However I also came across the IRC Cruiser tires. While we're on the subject. Has anyone tried these?

http://www.irc-tire.com/mce/

Also I certainly don;t want to hijack the thread but is there any space to go wider in front or in back?

Never tried or heard of irc tires. MY 83 has Dunlops the 86 has Bridgestones. When the time comes for replacements I'm going with Avons. Just to see what all the hubbub is all about. I do know the Dunlops seem to be good tires but the Bridgestones are fairly noisy but seem to be wearing like iron. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::D

I commute with my '89 so mileage and handling are both very important. I am on my third rear and second front with Metzler ME880 Marathons and I'm very pleased. I've read that some have had problems but I haven't had any. The rears are averaging 20-22k and the front made almost 50k. Handling is great so I'm very happy. Living in the north GA area I spend a lot of time on mountain roads and I tend to be a peg dragger. I may try a set of Venoms because I've heard good things about them but I don't know how they could be much better.

I also have the Metzlers on my '86 and they ride great. Many don't care for them. My son runs Avons on his '82 Silverwing and we have IRCs on my wifes Suzuki 650.

All three brands ride nicely, especially feel great when they are brand new. I'm planning on trying the Avons next go round but still have some riding to do first.:080402gudl_prv:

Hard to beat the Classic Dunlop Elite IIs. The EIIIs don't fit 1st Gens.

There are other decent tires out there, but I just couldn't bring myself to change from the Elite IIs.

High mileage, great traction & zero complaints.

The Elite II's are getting harder to find because Dunlop is phasing into the E-3 line. Here's the response I got this month from them when I tried to get an update for the sizes on the Virago. It's contrary to what they told me back in Sept & Oct when I asked the same questions.

"Unfortunately, all blackwall sizes of the 491 Elite II have been

discontinued as of Dec. 1, 2007. We're very sorry.

Remaining sizes include MT90-16, MR90-18 and MM90-19 fronts, and

MV85-15, MT90-16 and MU90-16 rears.

MM90-19 and MV85-15 are both currently on back-order."

I love those Elite II's, but now for the Virago I may give the Avons a try. I went with the narrow front on the E-3's for the Venture, and I'm very happy with the performance.

As was mentioned, there will be lots of replies, and most of them different. I am no expert, but I do sometimes speak my mind here :whistling:...so here goes.

I love Avons...Period

I have has 3 sets of them on 3 different bikes and they handle fantastic for me. I dont get the marathon miles out of them as I like to play in the twisties when I'm alone on the bike. They stick like glue and my Ventures has handled way better with them than all the others I have had.

My last set of tires on my '99 were the Michelin Commanders....and the rear one blew out at 75 mph, and totalled the bike....no more Michelins for me :no-no-no:

I have had a set of the Dunlop Elite II's on a 1st gen, they are a decent tire, but were loudest of all I have run. They are a harder compound and will get good mileage, but they dont stick as well as I would like them to.

Metzler 880's Had a set on mt 1st '99 and they were a reasonable tire. They stuck well and were pretty quiet, but I personally know of a half dozen folks who had chunks come out of the 880's....I wont run Metzlers either for that reason.

There are lots of variables that go into purchasing tires. How you ride is a big factor. If your a highway man and just pound the hell out of the miles on the superslabs, the Dunlops get decent mileage. But if you like to get it down in the twisties...I dont know that I would want them. My Dunlops always seemed to follow cracks and tar snakes in the road, thats annoying.

My bike will forever be with Avon venoms on them, of all the tires I have tried, they perform the best for my riding. So you really need to figure out what type of rider you are and go from there.

BTW....They should throw all Bridgestones out of the country, worst tire I have ever seen or ridden on a Venture.....OK off my soapbox now :)

As was mentioned, there will be lots of replies, and most of them different. I am no expert, but I do sometimes speak my mind here :whistling:...so here goes.

I love Avons...Period

I have has 3 sets of them on 3 different bikes and they handle fantastic for me. I dont get the marathon miles out of them as I like to play in the twisties when I'm alone on the bike. They stick like glue and my Ventures has handled way better with them than all the others I have had.

My last set of tires on my '99 were the Michelin Commanders....and the rear one blew out at 75 mph, and totalled the bike....no more Michelins for me :no-no-no:

I have had a set of the Dunlop Elite II's on a 1st gen, they are a decent tire, but were loudest of all I have run. They are a harder compound and will get good mileage, but they dont stick as well as I would like them to.

Metzler 880's Had a set on mt 1st '99 and they were a reasonable tire. They stuck well and were pretty quiet, but I personally know of a half dozen folks who had chunks come out of the 880's....I wont run Metzlers either for that reason.

There are lots of variables that go into purchasing tires. How you ride is a big factor. If your a highway man and just pound the hell out of the miles on the superslabs, the Dunlops get decent mileage. But if you like to get it down in the twisties...I dont know that I would want them. My Dunlops always seemed to follow cracks and tar snakes in the road, thats annoying.

My bike will forever be with Avon venoms on them, of all the tires I have tried, they perform the best for my riding. So you really need to figure out what type of rider you are and go from there.

BTW....They should throw all Bridgestones out of the country, worst tire I have ever seen or ridden on a Venture.....OK off my soapbox now :)

Brad,

There is a guy here that I ride with occasionally, he has an 01 RSV. It came with Bridgestones and he swears by them. Buys a new set every time he needs tires. Has white walls on them now. He swears by them and of course we swear at them.

Like everything else I guess, somebody got to like them.

Jerry

My bike will forever be with Avon venoms on them, of all the tires I have tried, they perform the best for my riding.

I'd like to add another bit of info about Venoms. Last year while riding along the levee road in the sacramento delta I went into a blind right sweeper a little hot and the bike started to climb toward the center line. Coming the other way was a Jeep Cherokee that had actually drifted over the center line and on to my side of the road. It all happened in a nanosecond, but If I hadn't shifted my weight and put the front tire way up on the chicken strip I probably wouldn't be here typing this post.... I firmly believe the Avons saved my bacon by being as tacky as they were. A hard rubber compound, and the front tire would have lost it's bite. I don't take blind sweepers agressively any longer.....

Brad,

There is a guy here that I ride with occasionally, he has an 01 RSV. It came with Bridgestones and he swears by them. Buys a new set every time he needs tires. Has white walls on them now. He swears by them and of course we swear at them.

Like everything else I guess, somebody got to like them.

Jerry

I agree with you Jerry, different strokes for different folks. It's kinda like an oil thread :shock3: :sign20:

Guest KitCarson

This tire thing........Most new bikes come with Dunlop.....or Bridge stone.

They are okay for a first tire.......really never had a problem with either brand.

Had a set of Michlens once.......okay tire.....just harder rubber....somewhat. I myself for a replacement tire and I honestly think the best tire on the road is the Avon......just good points with them all around.

Metzler.......hey fellows........hipshot is asking me if I went to a graveyard with my new bike for a reason........no.........but if you put Metzler on your bike......you might just very well see one sooner than you want. With all the trouble with that tire...........to me it is incomprehensible for anyone to use them. Maybe they have improved them....maybe that was a bad batch.......maybe......maybe..........hey.........just use common sense and do not use them , give it some time......in ten years....see what is happening with that tire. Sales people will tell you anything.......oh do not worry that was solved long ago......the whole time he is selling you an five year old set of tires no one else will buy

Hard to beat the Classic Dunlop Elite IIs. The EIIIs don't fit 1st Gens.

There are other decent tires out there, but I just couldn't bring myself to change from the Elite IIs.

High mileage, great traction & zero complaints.

This is half true. They don't yet make a front tire for the 1st gen, they do make the rear tire. That's what I run and I love it. I run the Dunlop 404 on the front and I do ride aggressively at times.:whistling:

I get about 20k out of them.

I have put 89,000 miles on my 83 with Dunlap Elites, Metzler 880's and now Avon Venoms. The Venoms are by far the best for being quiet, good wear and handling up to about 75mph. From 80 up on my bike they are the worst handling tire I have had. Once at 100 mph I got into a rear end wobble that almost got out of control and when I posted this concern, it seems I was not the only one that had encountered it. I reduced the rear tire pressure down to the low 40's and it did help, but I am still not comfortable at running 80 on the interstate.

RandyA

I have put 89,000 miles on my 83 with Dunlap Elites, Metzler 880's and now Avon Venoms. The Venoms are by far the best for being quiet, good wear and handling up to about 75mph. From 80 up on my bike they are the worst handling tire I have had. Once at 100 mph I got into a rear end wobble that almost got out of control and when I posted this concern, it seems I was not the only one that had encountered it. I reduced the rear tire pressure down to the low 40's and it did help, but I am still not comfortable at running 80 on the interstate.

RandyA

Something is Wrong..I have them and our speed limit is 80 out here so I hit 80 and above ALOT..no wobbles or vibrations. I would check it out thouroughly as you probably have already. Nothing else get them off and see if they can be adjusted by thre tire dealer.Be careful!

Something is Wrong..I have them and our speed limit is 80 out here so I hit 80 and above ALOT..no wobbles or vibrations. I would check it out thouroughly as you probably have already. Nothing else get them off and see if they can be adjusted by thre tire dealer.Be careful!

And I've had them up into the triple digits without a hint of wobble. You may have an alignment, or frame problem.