IGNORED

Dunlap blew a chunk!

craigatcsi

My rear tire lost a chunk approx 8 to 10" long today! My wife and I were on the interstate at approx 70ish when I felt her go! I pulled over right away and once my wife told me what was wrong, she rode home with a fellow rider and since it lost no air, I puttsed it home max 25mph for approx 10 miles.

Now I don't know What to do. We plan on converting to a Trike this winter, so I don't want to buy a new tire, but I also don't want to stop riding for the year! I'd really like to get a used tire for next to nothing, just to ride the rest of the season.

I know that an Angel was looking over us and kept the tire from blowing completely! We could've very easily have gone down.

I plan to take a pic and email it to Dunlop, for wat it is worth. They are 2 years old with Im guessing 10K on them, so I'm sure Dunlop won't care, but I am going to send the Pic anyway. This should never happen.

Craigr

LOL I would have to agree. I dont know of anybody that has got that many miles on a 404. I am pulling my E3 off next week and would send it to you. But I dont think putting a used tire on would be worth the time and money by the time you pay shipping. If you are looking for an inexpensive tire look at a http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/395/6188/ITEM/Shinko-230-Tour-Master-Rear-Tire.aspx. I think they were about $80 shipped when I was looking. If you were close I'd give you my take off. It probably has maybe 1/8" tread left to wear bar.

i would chance it 3000 mi trip lets see its 22 mi to work 22mi home thats 44 round plus another lets just say 100 mi a day it will take me 1 month or less to do that thats 30 days of extended riding season :stirthepot::stirthepot: not i would just replace with an el cheapo tire to finish the season thentrike it and give the tire to some one who may need it one day

Had more than 15,500 on a set of 404's with ease, still had decent trend. Although not enough to chance a 3,000 mile trip on it. :think:

Brad

I must be hard on tires because I got maybe 6k out of the rear tire this summer. I tow a trailer though and I ride hard. I can't help it though becuase I just love the sound of the RK pipes.:322:

My wife didn't take the Pics yesterday while I was at work, she wasn't feeling well. Then we had plans last night so I didn't get the pics either.

You can bet that I will prolly never go much over Highway speed again if this can happen at 70ish!! I am still shook up about it and really believe that the good Lord was watching out for us.

As far as the model, I believe they were the WWW E3s. But I thought they were 404 E3s, so I'm not sure. I do still have the reciept, so I will have to look when I get back home.

I really don't want to buy a tire for another couple of w/e's worth of riding, but, as someone posted, the labor to have them changed out, AND it looks like a good chance that we will be riding to Kentucky to have the Hannigan put on. So, we will need a good tire for that trip. - Hey, maybe I can sell the rear wheel with a good tire for more money!

I plan to post the 'leftovers' from the conversion on this site first, then hit Ebay with what you folks don't want.

craigr

I must be hard on tires because I got maybe 6k out of the rear tire this summer. I tow a trailer though and I ride hard. I can't help it though becuase I just love the sound of the RK pipes.

Not sure how you can only get 6,000. I also pulled a trailer to from here to West Virginia, then to the Sault Mi. and home around the lake, thru Wi. Lots of day trips and think I was not that easy on them either.

But I always get at least 10,000 when I was getting new ones each year.

Brad

Not sure how you can only get 6,000. I also pulled a trailer to from here to West Virginia, then to the Sault Mi. and home around the lake, thru Wi. Lots of day trips and think I was not that easy on them either.

But I always get at least 10,000 when I was getting new ones each year.

Brad

Hey Hunter 1500, dont forget Brad weight 150# with all Canadian beer he's carry in trailer.

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

I did make 6K on EOM Dunflop tires, and about 15K with Avons. As Boo said never heard story Dunlop ever chunk, and many stories about Metzler chunking not only on Venture , but all across.