IGNORED

Headset recommendations

Gearhead

Hi,

I just asked about speaker upgrades, now I'm wondering about headsets. What do you guys recommend, or not recommend? I know J&M is the big supplier of these, and they are spendy. They do make one headset that is under $100 bucks including the cable, much cheaper than their other sets. What's the tradeoff - are they really cheesey? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,

Jeremy

I have both sets from J&M. I think the cheap ones actually have better bass. I got the 200 dollars one hoping i could understand my wife better. Didn't work :rotf:. with sound or comprehension. :rotf::rotf:

But if we wear earplugs I can understand her much better and still hear the music good.

But if we wear earplugs I can understand her much better and still hear the music good.

Buddy: I had a big problem with understanding my wife. She complained that I was too loud and I thought she was too soft. What we discovered was that her helmet places her earphones closer to her ears. I made spacers out of a piece of 1/4" foam with velcro on both sides and now my speakers just touch my ears. What a difference that made. I understand her perfect now. I do wear earplugs now because it makes the music better.

I agree with the customer service. I just received 2 Edsets, but have not had a chance to install them yet. Ordering form Ed was a pleasant experience. It's always nice when you get to talk to the owner, and don't get a run-around, or a recorded voice that says "For English, press 1....". I will post later with an evaluation after I have had a chance to try them out.

• 1 month later...

Edsets proved very good in audio reponse. I did have to turn down the treble and turn up the bass for good music reproduction - they seem to favor the treble side. Use of heasets for the intercom was very good. The mocrophone tends to pick up "air" (background) noise at highway speeds (>60 mph), but is very efficient at low speeds at cancelling noice. (I will be installing "Mic-Mutes").

Installation was pretty simple because Edsets use industrial strength hook-n-loop fasteners to mount the mike instead of clamps. And you have a little latittude in routing the wires for the speakers.

Bottom line: as an alternative to the more expensive sets on the market, Edsets are a very good value.

"The mocrophone tends to pick up "air" (background) noise at highway speeds (>60 mph), but is very efficient at low speeds at cancelling noice. (I will be installing "Mic-Mutes").

"

Try making some extra mic socks. My dad and I have Chatterboxes - his on an open face helmet, mine on a closed face. Actually, he has a closed face also. The open face version has the same mic, but on a boom and with a foam sock, while the closed face version has just a little thin sock. Over time I noticed that dad sounded better when wearing his open face helmet. I also paid attention to the wind noise. It turned out that even with the chin bar, the closed face versions benefitted from a larger foam wind sock, both for noise cancelling and also to make dad sound better / clearer. Just find some open-cell foam with a similar looking density to the socks that are out there and cut one out. Or, you could just buy one.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Had three sets of J&M headsets cheapest to best, used them on

goldwings, and 2001 RSV always had wind noise, bought wind socks didnt help bought in line noise reducers,(can't think of proper name for them) helped a little. Went to rally bought Air Rider elimanated 95% of wind noise 2006 RSV, maybe I was lucky and got a good set???? Hope you luck in finding a good set no matter where you get it.

Bushwacker

J&M headsets through.....

http://www.wingstuff.com

Currently selling for $59 and change. Lower cord is included.

I bought one Open-Face, liked it so much, I bought another for the wife.

ken.jo@shaw.ca

At the risk of sounding stupid, does that headset plug into the auxiliary jack on the gas tank without an adapter (since it's a Goldwing product)?

At the risk of sounding stupid, does that headset plug into the auxiliary jack on the gas tank without an adapter (since it's a Goldwing product)?

Yes , it connects to the 5 pin jack on the tank and for passenger on left side under rear seat . No adaptor needed if you purchase the 5 pin .

Guest steveg
Hi Debelt,

The Air Rider headset that I have plugs directly to the five pin audio connector provided on the tank without an adaptor

Bushwacker

do you have a link to this headset or a part number? i am ready to buy 2 headsets and was going to go with j&m but was worried about wind noice in the mics.

i think i'll go with these as long as they are reasonable priced.

thanks,

steve

Guest steveg
:)

Steve,

you should find info at motorcycle Products at AirRider.com click on headsets.

Bushwacker

06 RSV

PA

thanks for the link, they definetly look high quality. pricey also, but after re-reading you first post about the headsets it sounds that the air riders are definetly the best from your experience.

i'd hate to spend $200 on 2 sets and have to put up with excessive wind noice and then spend more $ on mic mutes. i may have to wait a few months to save up the $400 for the headsets but sounds like its well worth it.

let me know if you have any other thoughts. i appreciate the input!