IGNORED

hornets..............!!!!!

BIG TOM

any good home remedys to get rid of them from under my siding.....the can spray cant get to them...tried powered seven .....that has slowed them down some. Now I found a new nest under my siding in my dogs pen about 6 inches off the ground.no wonder why the dog doesn't want to go outside....... cant burn them out......DONT WANT TO PEEK UNDER THERE TO SEE WHERE THERE GETTING IN...help !!!!!!!

Delta Dust and Drione Dust using a Crusader Duster at the entrace hole should be able to get to them. Then spray a liguid pesticide to keep them away. DO NOT do any of this in the daytime dusk is best and don't get stung.

Edited by etcswjoe

Get a duster, only use powder ( it aggitates them less and they will carry it back to the nest) and the only at night isn't necessarily true with all species of hornets, dust the entrance, you need enough they will have to climb through it and dust any cracks you find nearby and they will haul it to the nest with them. Give it a few days and repeat the dusting, watch from a distance to see if they have changed their access points.

Never use any oil or spray , or you will get stung and it will only get the few you actually contact.

Once you don't see activity if it is vinyl siding look for the entrance points, cut foam to fill access areas or siding color caulk.

Hey Tom,

I came home to find one under my front step.(wasps)

Tried spray but couldn't get directly at the nest so it didn't work.

I went to a pest control place and the lady gave me ant and roach powder.

The idea is the powder gets on the bug's legs and they bring it into the nest and give the powder to the queen.

This was a good sized nest from the activity I seen so I pumped a bunch of powder in and around the hole, waited about 2 days, applied again and again a week later to kill the wasps that had hatched after the first and 2nd application.

It seems to have worked. I am going to apply another coating in a day or two just to make sure.

I am told the foam spray only works if it can be applied directly into the nest. As the above suggestion, I would only apply at night when it gets cooler. They are less active then.

Good Luck.

Tom

2 can WD-40

1 bic lighter

1 #10 ABC fire extinguisher

1 cell phone (with 911 set ready to send)

1 pair of earplugs

apply 1 can WD-40 to nest (at night) take second can with bic lighter in front of can light bic lighter aiming at nest spray 2nd can kick back and watch nest go up in flames if fire does not go out 1 minute after spraying can use 1 #10 ABC fire extinguisher on fire if fire still does not go out push send on cell phone after talking to dispatch insert earplugs into ears (cause you will hear the wife from 10 miles away no problem but nest will be gone):whistling::whistling:

Leave them alone for a couple months and the SNOW will make them very docile.:stirthepot: If you do get stung apply some household bleach immediately it will reduce the swelling and burning better than anything I have ever used.

I would also recommend apple pie taken orally. Just don't give it to the hornets. They will never leave.

Try using your shop vac to suck them in during the day. Just put the hose where they normally come in, turn on the vac and go to work.

Thats what I did a couple years ago. I taped the nozzle close to the entrance and once in awhile a little shot of wasp spray to be sucked in as well. by the end of about four hours I had an inch and half of dead wasps. The interesting thing was the more that got sucked in the more that returned to the hive to help (I think they are telepathic) of course they got sucked in too. PS that was also the end of the hive. Final touch was a bit of non expanding spray foam to seal the holes.

While the shop vac might work.

It will not by its self kill the wasps, you will have a vac full of very angry wasps.

Be careful with spraying insecticide into the hose, many are flammable, the universal vac motor makes a LOT of sparks from the carbon brushes.:225:

What I would do to be safe is;

First find some kind of cover to plug the inlet hole in the vac.

when you are done vacuuming, before you shut the vac off, disconnect the hose, get your can of bug killer ready, as soon as you flip the switch to off start spraying while the vac is winding down and keep spraying till you are sure you have enough in there then quickly plug the hole to give them all time to die. If you are using a wet dry vac have several inches of water in the bottom before you start so some can drown as they are waiting to be killed.

What I would do to be safe is;

First find some kind of cover to plug the inlet hole in the vac.

when you are done vacuuming, before you shut the vac off, disconnect the hose, get your can of bug killer ready, as soon as you flip the switch to off start spraying while the vac is winding down and keep spraying till you are sure you have enough in there then quickly plug the hole to give them all time to die. If you are using a wet dry vac have several inches of water in the bottom before you start so some can drown as they are waiting to be killed.

Definitly a much wiser move. I wasn't really thinking open brushes at the time. :bang head: Guess I just got lucky :hurts:

I have good luck with carberator spray using the little cap extension then you can tape a straw to extend the length of the spary if needed in a tight area. 1/3rd the price of wasp spray and works on all sorts of insects. Be careful to not spray around any flames, it is very flamable and don't get it in your eyes. Bad, very bad.

any good home remedys to get rid of them from under my siding.....the can spray cant get to them...tried powered seven .....that has slowed them down some. Now I found a new nest under my siding in my dogs pen about 6 inches off the ground.no wonder why the dog doesn't want to go outside....... cant burn them out......DONT WANT TO PEEK UNDER THERE TO SEE WHERE THERE GETTING IN...help !!!!!!!