IGNORED

Long question, need opinions.

BigLenny

I ride a 2007 RSTD. Bought it new and have loved the bike so far. My wife and I have been to several states enjoying this bike, and I am completely in love with the V4.

Having said that, I have this constant thought in the back of my mind that I would like to get a full dresser. While I know I could buy a newer or new model Venture and be fine, I wonder if I should just spend a a considerably less amount and get a good low mileage clean maybe 2000 to 2007 model one. When I look at these bikes on the used market, they look like there is no difference, other than color, than the new ones. So, the reasoning is, why would I buy a newer year model when I could save quite a bit of money and get the exact same bike just a few years older.

Is there something I don't know? Do the earlier 2nd Gen model years have less HP and Torque, or is there some kind of bug in the earlier ones that has been corrected since then? I don't want to get into a situation of buying a bike that has less performance than my RSTD does.

Okay, here's the second part of this question. Is there a huge performance difference between the 1st Gens and 2nd Gens? I'm not completely sure I would consider a bike with the years on it that a 1st Gen would have, but I ran across a 1993 1st Gen yesterday here locally that is in pristine condition with 31K miles, and the guy said even though he loves the bike, he would probably take $3000-$3200 for it if I wanted to buy it. The 1st Gens just look more aggressive. They look like they would be a better performing bike in the turns and such.

I know that I could just end the whole discussion by going and buying a brand new bike. I've test ridden several nice bikes (Victory CCT, Victory Vision, Kawi Voyager, GW, BMW 1600 GTL, Etc). I have the funding to go that route, but something just tells me to buy an older but very good bike and save the duckets. Plus I love the V4.

Let the opinions and suggestions begin.

Thanks,

Lynn

The Ventures from 1999 though 2012 are exactly the same except for color and the new one has an MP3 wire so you can plug and play your MP3 and control it. As for the difference between the 1st and 2nd gen just wait and you will get all the replies from the 1st gener's...................they are almost like the Harley riders and think they are better riders, higher class and just all around better people because they ride a 1st gen................Just funnin you 1st gener's:whistling::rotf:

Guest tx2sturgis

Do you want to spend plenty of time crossing county or state lines? Do you want to see whats in the next state? And the one after that? Then yes, you need a touring version.

Figure out the kind of riding you wish to do, then buy the hardware that matches.

You could add a full fairing and/or a trunk to your bike, many members here have done that. Check out Phonemans ride. He added a HD trunk, and it nudges the bike more towards the touring side of things.

You dont HAVE to spend 20 grand to get the bike you want: possibly the one you have, with the right add-ons will do the job.

But if you decide to go the full-dresser route, then a used, late model low-mileage Venture is a great touring rig for a reasonable amount of money.

They are more top-heavy than the RSTD, and possibly a bit less nimble, but on the open road they are hard to beat.

The 1gens are certainly more sporting, but I rode one, and its just not comfortable for me. If you are an average or larger sized man, say 180 pounds or more, take a ride on a 2gen and then make a decision.

Good luck.

.... Is there a huge performance difference between the 1st Gens and 2nd Gens? ....

That is a very dangerous question !

As for getting a "new" 2nd Gen....as mentioned, other than the colour only a few minor things have changed. 2009 the cd changer became standard and it was replaced with the iPod/iPhone interface in 2012 (or 2011). "I" basket may be the current basket but don't know for sure.

So... if you want a "used" 2nd Gen.... I would consider getting a 2008 and newer RSV. That way you still have a manufacturer's warranty for at least a year. If you get a used bike with the clutch basket whine then at least you can get the dealer to replace the clutch basket.

I can't (and won't) comment on the 1st Gen since I've never ridden one but... the '93 you are looking at is already 20 years old. Going from a 2007 RSTD to a '93 would to me be a step backwards.... not saying in performance or anything against the style. To me the older the bike/car, the more problems you inherit from previous owners and the wear and tear.

You like the '07 RSTD.... then a 2nd Gen will feel comfortable to you right off the bat. If you aren't concerned about a warranty, then an older 2nd Gen isn't that much different BUT if you get one without warranty and have a bad shock ($700) or a noisy clutch basket ($$$) then you are out of pocket as opposed to having it covered under warranty.

EVERYBODY KNOWS FIRST GENS ARE FASTER!:witch_brew:

Well, at least that's what those of us who own 1st Gens say.

2nd gen owners seem to have a different opinion. :confused24:

I have an 83 restoration project, owned an 84 and ride my 88

It boils down to what you want in a bike.

The look of the bikes are completely different.

The seating position of each is drastically different with leg and foot positioning.

The 1st Gens have a sportier look and feel to them but are very comfortable on long rides.

Some people don't like the "feet under" position.

The 2nd gen's laid back cruiser feel with more forward foot position is great for those "harley wannabe's" (ohhh... I'm gonna git it for that!")

First Gens are approaching 20-30 years old.

You have to expect to do some repairs and upgrades, but there is a LOT of help on this forum to accomplish pretty much anything.

As to the 2nd Gen....I'll let someone else comment on them.

All I know is what I've learned from this site...mainly that over the years, they are basically unchanged other than color.

They both share an amazing power plant.

Great info so far.

I'm not thinking I want to add fairings and trunks to my RSTD. I kinda like bikes that already have all that in a factory made cohesive unit. There is also a good chance that I will be keeping my RSTD as a short tripper.

I'm also trying figure out what the real practical value there is in owning a Venture over an RSTD. I know the fairing and the radio and CB and all of those goodies are attractive to me, but on the other hand, there's no way I can pack near the crap in that trunk as I can in our huge freakin Saddlemen t bag with the roll top we have. I'll for sure give up some luggage space there.

Doesn't matter, I still want a full dresser. Lol.

A few months ago I had to decide on new vs used vs add on to an existing bike which in this case was a Honda VTX1300 which I love, it wasn't practical in my view to add on what I wanted plus I was wanting to get away from the V twin and try something different. New metrics have a steep depreciation curve the first few years and since there have been few if any changes over the years with the RSV thats what I went with. I considered both a new and used other brands, almost bought a new GW which was another story. One problem I ran into looking for a used RSV is there are not that many of them out there, at least when I started looking back in the fall which may not have been the best time of year to find one. I shopped around while I was deciding what I wanted to do and I found a well maintained 07 at a good price in another state and purchased it from the private owner this past March, nice road trip for my first ride on the bike:). My biggest complaint with the bike thus far is it being top heavy esp. with the wife and gear loaded while stopped (I know there are solutions to help with that and I will work on it in the near future) as compared to every other bike I've owned. For now I'm able to keep both bikes so the vtx is now my one or two up city bike and the RSV is my two up trip bike.

Meach

1st gener's...................they are almost like the Harley riders and think they are better riders, higher class and just all around better people because they ride a 1st gen................Just funnin you 1st gener's:whistling::rotf:

I am SO offended by that comment ! :shock3: To say we "think" we are a higher class.... we don't think that at all.... we know it ! ...A fact is a fact... indisputable facts are not "thoughts" . We KNOW the fact... either live with it or buy a 1st Gen and join us. :rasberry:

:rotfl::cool10::rotf:

Just funnin.....I think...

A few months ago I had to decide on new vs used vs add on to an existing bike which in this case was a Honda VTX1300 which I love, it wasn't practical in my view to add on what I wanted plus I was wanting to get away from the V twin and try something different. New metrics have a steep depreciation curve the first few years and since there have been few if any changes over the years with the RSV thats what I went with. I considered both a new and used other brands, almost bought a new GW which was another story. One problem I ran into looking for a used RSV is there are not that many of them out there, at least when I started looking back in the fall which may not have been the best time of year to find one. I shopped around while I was deciding what I wanted to do and I found a well maintained 07 at a good price in another state and purchased it from the private owner this past March, nice road trip for my first ride on the bike:). My biggest complaint with the bike thus far is it being top heavy esp. with the wife and gear loaded while stopped (I know there are solutions to help with that and I will work on it in the near future) as compared to every other bike I've owned. For now I'm able to keep both bikes so the vtx is now my one or two up city bike and the RSV is my two up trip bike.

Meach

Meach,

This is exactly what I'm tossing around in my head to do.

The only trump card would be if Yammy shocked the bike world and came out with a nicely updated Venture. I would probably then pull the trigger and buy new.

I own a 87VR MKII and have been riding a 07 Midnight Venture loaner for the past 2 years.

Being intimately familar with both, here are the facts.

1st gens are faster when they are running right. But, Being 25 years old requires a lot of TLC, Tweeking, maintenance and up grades.:bang head: They have a few more standard features than the second gens that I like.

The second gen is not that much slower and there is a real advantage in not having to work on it every time you turn around. Unless your hung up on speed the 2nd gen is a great ride.

My advice:backinmyday: for what it's worth.:2cents:

If you want to tour getting a touring bike with a trailer hitch. Touring and long distance motorcycle camping is much easier with a pull behind trailer.

I'd go for a low mileage used 2nd gen. Save the bucks:mo money: have a great ride :7_6_3[1]:seriously consider the trailer hitch.:thumbsup2:

:2cents:

Guest tx2sturgis
Great info so far.

but on the other hand, there's no way I can pack near the crap in that trunk as I can in our huge freakin Saddlemen t bag with the roll top we have. I'll for sure give up some luggage space there.

Doesn't matter, I still want a full dresser. Lol.

You stumbled upon the 'conundrum' we all face with these dressers...they actually dont hold as much junk as a bike thats loaded up using soft luggage...especially camping gear.

So....figure on hooking up a small trailer to the bike and that problem is also solved...The RSV is a great rig for pulling trailers...thats one of the reasons I bought it. I call it my two-wheeled truck.

So...More money, more choices!

:happy34:

I own a 87VR MKII and have been riding a 07 Midnight Venture loaner for the past 2 years.

Being intimately familar with both, here are the facts.

1st gens are faster when they are running right. But, Being 25 years old requires a lot of TLC, Tweeking, maintenance and up grades.:bang head: They have a few more standard features than the second gens that I like.

The second gen is not that much slower and there is a real advantage in not having to work on it every time you turn around. Unless your hung up on speed the 2nd gen is a great ride.

My advice:backinmyday: for what it's worth.:2cents:

If you want to tour getting a touring bike with a trailer hitch. Touring and long distance motorcycle camping is much easier with a pull behind trailer.

I'd go for a low mileage used 2nd gen. Save the bucks:mo money: have a great ride :7_6_3[1]:seriously consider the trailer hitch.:thumbsup2:

:2cents:

Very good point. I am seriously intrigued by the 1st Gens, but A. being "faster" isn't that much of a selling point to me anymore, and B. I'm a little concerned about getting myself into a situation where my long range tourer is something that I constantly have to tinker with.

Maybe my solution is to buy a 2nd Gen for my serious long range touring, and buy a 1st Gen for a cool project bike. LOL.

You stumbled upon the 'conundrum' we all face with these dressers...they actually dont hold as much junk as a bike thats loaded up using soft luggage...especially camping gear.

So....figure on hooking up a small trailer to the bike and that problem is also solved...The RSV is a great rig for pulling trailers...thats one of the reasons I bought it. I call it my two-wheeled truck.

So...More money, more choices!

:happy34:

Yep, I'm seeing a trailer in my future.

Very good point. I am seriously intrigued by the 1st Gens, but A. being "faster" isn't that much of a selling point to me anymore, and B. I'm a little concerned about getting myself into a situation where my long range tourer is something that I constantly have to tinker with.

Maybe my solution is to buy a 2nd Gen for my serious long range touring, and buy a 1st Gen for a cool project bike. LOL.

There you go best of both worlds...... If want a reliable touring bike and a hot rod project. I'm projecting on my 1st gen as we speak. Putting it back together for the millionth time. Most all of the ongoing problems seem to relate to corroded electrical connections. Currently resurrecting the audio/CB sound system.

I love the Venture. There are things my wife liked better about the first gen than the second gen and some things on the second that are an improvement over the first.

You can find a lot of well maintained gently used bikes out there and save a ton of cash, and a lot still in the 5 year warranty period. I bought a new bike last year and was also very close to buying one a few years old for half the money. I had retired a few years ago and my wife pushed me to get a new one.

I also tried a Can Am spyder, a ultra glide and a wing when considering a new bike. My wife has had several back and hip surgeries and preferred the ride and her fit on the venture.

I bought a new '08 RSTD in 2009 and loved it and rode it for a year before getting the bug to try an RSV. A forum member posted a craigslist link to a low mileage 2000 Millenium RSV and I bought it with the intent of selling one or the other after a trial period.\

I like the RSV slightly better on the road. It seems ever so slightly more comfortable with the old style stock seat. I had Rick Butler mod the seat, and that made just slightly more comfortable still. Slightly better wind & rain protection with the RSV. But, slightly more top heavy which is a negative since its right at the limit of my inseam challenged legs.

RSTD is slightly more nimble, particularly since I put a 130 front tire on it.

Put the RSTD up for sale and could not get what I thought was a fair price for it, so kept it and now have both.

I ride 1 up mostly.

I've contemplated selling the RSV which I would lose less money on and keeping the RSTD since its almost as good. There are also fewer things to work on with the RSTD when you take away the electronics and fairing. And its easier to work on the RSTD because of no fairing. I usually take at least 1 long ride without the windshield on the RSTD each summer.

Otherwise they are much the same.

I've not ridden a first gen, but like the styling of a fixed fairing and windshield.

Are you sure the 1st gen is a 1993 1300 engine, or might it really be a 1983 1200 engine.?There are several major problems with the 1983s.

Actually, that is exactly what I was going to suggest. You could pick up an early 2nd gen Venture and the 93 with low miles for what a newer 2nd gen would cost and have the best of both worlds.

I know the 2nd gen Ventures are geared different than the RSTD's, but I was also thinking the Venture had a little more horsepower.:confused24:

RandyA

I bought a new '08 RSTD in 2009 and loved it and rode it for a year before getting the bug to try an RSV. A forum member posted a craigslist link to a low mileage 2000 Millenium RSV and I bought it with the intent of selling one or the other after a trial period.\

I like the RSV slightly better on the road. It seems ever so slightly more comfortable with the old style stock seat. I had Rick Butler mod the seat, and that made just slightly more comfortable still. Slightly better wind & rain protection with the RSV. But, slightly more top heavy which is a negative since its right at the limit of my inseam challenged legs.

RSTD is slightly more nimble, particularly since I put a 130 front tire on it.

Put the RSTD up for sale and could not get what I thought was a fair price for it, so kept it and now have both.

I ride 1 up mostly.

I've contemplated selling the RSV which I would lose less money on and keeping the RSTD since its almost as good. There are also fewer things to work on with the RSTD when you take away the electronics and fairing. And its easier to work on the RSTD because of no fairing. I usually take at least 1 long ride without the windshield on the RSTD each summer.

Otherwise they are much the same.

I've not ridden a first gen, but like the styling of a fixed fairing and windshield.

Are you sure the 1st gen is a 1993 1300 engine, or might it really be a 1983 1200 engine.?There are several major problems with the 1983s.

Randy,

Your experience is exactly what I picture myself doing. I love my RSTD, and I love how convertable it is. I would probably keep it.

The 1st Gen is definitely a 1993. The last year they made them.

I know the 2nd gen Ventures are geared different than the RSTD's, but I was also thinking the Venture had a little more horsepower.:confused24:

RandyA

Now thats the kind of tidbits I'm looking for. So, the Venture has a different gear ratio and more HP than the RSTD?

Guest tx2sturgis
Now thats the kind of tidbits I'm looking for. So, the Venture has a different gear ratio and more HP than the RSTD?

If you compare the same year RSTD to the same year RSV, the gearing and horsepower should be the same.

The older model Royal Stars (but still 2nd gen) had a different carb and intake configuration, and slightly less horsepower. I am not sure about gearing.

OK, I'm a first Gen rookie, just a few months and about 4000 miles. I bought my 1986 with just 23,000 on the clock. Only 7000 of which came in the last 20 years. I did run into a bit of a carburetor problem at first. Sitting in the garage under a cover + ethanol fuel = :bang head:.

And I had to replace the frictions and steels. Plus I had a PO induced electrical issue. A bad switch that was added cost me a battery. All this was done in the first few hundred miles. Now, I put gas in it, check it over a bit, change the oil as needed and ride it. And clean it. And wax it. My wife and Mom and a few friends laugh at me. I take more pains with this bike than anything I have owned in the last 20 years.

It's worth every minute.

Most folks don 't realize my ride is 26 years old. It doesn't look, ride, or handle like it is.

I'm 5' 11" and about 215. My knees are a bit close to the fairing mounted bags.

With the back rest on I will run out of gas before ever feel the need to stop.

I have found out the floor boards serve fine double duty as lean angle feelers. With no funny handling quirks. It out handles my GS 1100 E.

It will pull 100 MPH in fourth gear well before red line. Rumor has it. Not me, not ever :innocent-emoticon:.

Keep yours, get the first Gen and the newer one. He who dies with the most Yamahas, wins.

OK I own both so I havwe the right to comment on both! As far as performance and handling, the 1st gens are far superior, but as far as comfort the 2nd gen is far supeerior. The 1st gen is a tall bike that handles like a sports bike where as the 2nd gen is a wide feeling bike and extremely top heavy. You already own a RSTD, it is virtually the same bike with a different fairing and a tour pack. 1st gens are older bikes and need routine maintenance but for the most part would not bat an eyelash at taking them across the country. 2nd gens are a little more reliable unless you get one of the early ones, then you are dealing with an aged bike.

In some ways the 2nd gens were cheapened down from the 1st gens like in the front shocks not being equalized air wise like the 1st gens, and no onboard compressor or monitor for the air suspension. There is no dampener adjustment on the rear shock, and there are a few other things like that.

Bottom line, if myou are mechanically inclined and enjoy working on bikes get a 1st gen and save a pile of money. If all you care about is getting on and riding in comfort get a 2nd ghen, as mentioned an '08 or newer for the 5 year unlimited miles warranty...

I was all set to buy a brand new bike. I looked and the only thing available built the way I wanted(shaft drive/full water cooled) was the Venture. I asked and learned they were the same from 99 up. I started thinking....I could find a nice used one with any bugs worked out for much less money.

I found my dream come true bike(My 03 Midnight) with everything already done to it that I would have done to it for less than 1/2 the price of a new one.

I like the RSV so much I wanted another for a commuter(I ride full time).

I saw a ad on Craigslist for a 06 in GREAT SHAPE a few weeks ago and snagged it for $5500.00!!

I now have my 03 Midnight for pleasure rides and trips and I have the 06 for everyday use.

Life is good!!!!

Keep your eyes open and you will find what you are looking for!

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx250/C-M_Motorsports/Forum%20Use/RSV.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx250/C-M_Motorsports/06Venture.jpg